Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap year li

Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap year li

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

usamanazeem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap year li

I am a 17 year-old living in Dubai (I am a Pakistani national; I have lived in Dubai for my entire life) and wish to travel to the UK as a part of my gap year backpacking holiday and to stay with my family.

I'll give some background information that might be helpful. The reason I am taking a gap year instead of going to university after the sixth form is because I had made a fatal mistake when applying for the student visa to study at the University of Edinburgh. I had not looked at the financial requirements until it was too late and as a result I was refused a UK study visa due to insufficient finances.

Because of this, I decided to defer my entry at the university to September 2018 and am on a gap year right now. I have already been to Malaysia and Thailand as a part of a volunteering tour and was hoping to visit Europe. I will be traveling to the UK for 50 days and will stay with my family for about a month and the remainder 20 days will be independent travel. I have attached the visa refusal document below.

Regarding the second bullet point mentioned, I don't actually have a student permit for the UAE but rather a residence visa. But since I was a high school student it mentioned student as a profession. I have also attached the residence visa for reference.

I would still like to visit the UK to meet with my friends and family so I would really appreciate advice for a fresh application. Oh, and If I attach my offer letter for the University of Edinburgh will it help? I also have a trip right after the UK to Sri Lanka and I hold an E-Visa. Would sending a copy of the e-visa prove helpful?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap year li-visit-visa-refusal.jpg   Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap year li-visa.png  
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap yea

Unless you acquire strong ties to Dubai, which will guarantee your return (job, accommodation responsibilities) you are unlikely to obtain a visitor visa for some time.

As you had been refused a student visa due to lack of finances, your obtaining a visitor visa was less than likely.

Having family/friends in the UK makes you even more of an overstay risk.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refusal of a UK visit visa - Appendix V 4.2 (a) and (c). 17 year-old on a gap yea

With two recent refusals I would be more concerned about successfully obtaining a student visa in order to commence your studies in September.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usamanazeem

The reason I am taking a gap year instead of going to university after the sixth form is because I had made a fatal mistake when applying for the student visa to study at the University of Edinburgh.

Thanks!
I know the requirements are tight but needing a visa when you're dead seems a bit harsh!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
With two recent refusals I would be more concerned about successfully obtaining a student visa in order to commence your studies in September.

If I were the OP, I’d concentrate on correcting the mistake (whatever it was) in the original student visa application and making sure I’d get it right this time around.

After all, once in the UK as a student there will be plenty of time to visit family there. No need for a visitor visa.