Wikiposts

Recession

Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:13 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recession

Originally Posted by Goatman328
Hello. I hope everyone realizes that within 6 months the USA and UK, along with probably most of the westernized world will be in the midst of a recession. I hope you all consider this whenever you decide to move.
What is a recession? Are you encouraging us all to move back to the UK because houses will be cheap? Are you saying that the Easternised world will be unaffected by this phenomenon?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have to agree with your point about Buy to Let investors, many of whom are not UK nationals and have no connection with the UK other than buying property to let out at a profit. When I lived in the Far East the Singapore "Straits Times" and Hong Kong's "South China Morning Post" were constantly having adverts for UK properties (mainly flats in London) for investors to buy and rent out at a profit, often purchased 'off-plan'........
In what way is this different from all the Brits buying rental properties in Florida, Spain, Cyprus, Kosovo etc?

In any event, there is very little money to be made from renting out property in the UK these days. And a lot of BTL investors will get their fingers burned given the current events.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you call little money. I have a property that earns 40k a year in the UK.

Originally Posted by Elvira
In what way is this different from all the Brits buying rental properties in Florida, Spain, Cyprus, Kosovo etc?

In any event, there is very little money to be made from renting out property in the UK these days. And a lot of BTL investors will get their fingers burned given the current events.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Depends on what you call little money. I have a property that earns 40k a year in the UK.
I think BTL just doesn't add up for people looking to get into the market now (unless they can buy cash, that is). Rental yields just don't match the mortgage you'd be paying on a property these days.

40k a year? Does the address end in "Palace"?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:30 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Typical BTL rental yield is around 6-7% in the UK at the moment - this means your property is worth around 625K.

If you have a mortgage then a sizeable chunk of the 40K is spent on the mortgage interest (most in fact) with the rest being taken up with insurance and letting agents and wear & tear.

If you do not have a mortgage then you could be getting around 6% interest from a bank by leaving the money on deposit.

Either way there is little revenue money to be made from BTL at the moment - just the dream of ever increasing property prices to give you a capital appreciation.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:41 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The sad thing is, eiher way, someone is unhappy.

If prices keep going up, short-term and long-term owners are happy because they get "richer" (although it's a fasle rich unless you own more thyan one house). Of course, potential buyers would be even more upset than they are currently.

If prices stay the same, long-term owners are happy ("rich"), short-term owners are neutral/unhappy (because they broke the bank to buy, but at least aren't losing house value), and prospective buyers are unhappy (because they have to crucify themselves to buy).

If there's a drop in values, buyers are happy, but owners (especially recent buyers like me) are completely p*ssed off because they lose wealth.

I won't say I hope prices keep going up (because I know there are returners who are really struggling to find an affordable house), but once they go up, it just doesn't seem right to wish they'll go down.

I just pray for wage inflation to redress the balance somewhat, and that the government introduces legislation to slow down the number of BTL investors - especially the fat cats who use their wealth to steal houses from under the noses of honest hard-working people. Maybe a graduated tax system on BTL properties is the answer (i.e., the more you own, the higher the tax rate on rental income).
Sorry dunroving but I just can't agree with that statement. I have plenty of friends who have rental properties, most came from middle class backgrounds, some from working class - they saw an opportunity, took the risk and went for it (with some eye watering mortgages). They continue to have to work to manage the properties or give away most of the profit to agents to do it for them. Most saw it as a way of generating a pension fund rather than generating extra income. They were lucky with their timing.

All of them work and so any profit from letting is taxed at their marginal rate - 40% for all of them. Plus they pay VAT on their letting agents fees etc etc.

I do belive that the UK needs to build more property to improve the supply side of the equation, I also believe that there should be a higher rate tax band on all income over a certain amount (say 45% on over 100K), but directly penalising productive, entrepenurial people who are taking steps to assure their retirement is not the right message to send. One of my friends earns around 40K, but has two BTLs generating around 10K profit per year - why should he be taxed at a higher rate than someone earning 1M pa?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:46 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Sorry dunroving but I just can't agree with that statement. I have plenty of friends who have rental properties, most came from middle class backgrounds, some from working class - they saw an opportunity, took the risk and went for it (with some eye watering mortgages). They continue to have to work to manage the properties or give away most of the profit to agents to do it for them. Most saw it as a way of generating a pension fund rather than generating extra income. They were lucky with their timing.

got it in one!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

All of them work and so any profit from letting is taxed at their marginal rate - 40% for all of them. Plus they pay VAT on their letting agents fees etc etc.

I do belive that the UK needs to build more property to improve the supply side of the equation, I also believe that there should be a higher rate tax band on all income over a certain amount (say 45% on over 100K), but directly penalising productive, entrepenurial people who are taking steps to assure their retirement is not the right message to send. One of my friends earns around 40K, but has two BTLs generating around 10K profit per year - why should he be taxed at a higher rate than someone earning 1M pa?
Well, that's a whole different question, and I'd be very happy for millionaires to pay their fair share instead of hiring expensive CPAs to find convenient tax loopholes.

I hear what you are saying, and it would be drastic to levy burdensome taxes on your friends in one fell swoop. But the graduated introduction of appropriate tax laws woulkd give them time to sell their properties if they can no longer make money from them. As you said, they had lucky timing, so if they sold up now they certainly wouldn't lose out. I guess it's a question of what is fairer - for your friends to continue to make money from their good timing, or for working class people to be able to own a house.

Agree with you also that building more affordable housing is part of the solution.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think BTL just doesn't add up for people looking to get into the market now (unless they can buy cash, that is). Rental yields just don't match the mortgage you'd be paying on a property these days.

40k a year? Does the address end in "Palace"?
No but it is in prime location.

Last edited by Mercedes; Sep 17th 2007 at 9:12 am.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

No Mortgage and brought the property at a depreciated price, having the tenants apparently made it much cheaper. In fact I got it for half price. No letting agents, so none of their fees. But it it is in a good location where demand is high and supply is low and in a good area. It is also a good site for development and since the area is being developed, I could later sell it to a developer or develop it myself as there is room for a few houses.

When I'm in the UK, part of it will be my primary residence, so if I did sell it, I wouldn't pay capital gains on it. So I'm on a win win with it. But I brought it for my pension fund and as I work for my own company any money will be re-invested anyway, and it will be higher than what I would have got if I had put the original sum in the bank in a deposit account.

Typical BTL rental yield is around 6-7% in the UK at the moment - this means your property is worth around 625K.

If you have a mortgage then a sizeable chunk of the 40K is spent on the mortgage interest (most in fact) with the rest being taken up with insurance and letting agents and wear & tear.

If you do not have a mortgage then you could be getting around 6% interest from a bank by leaving the money on deposit.

Either way there is little revenue money to be made from BTL at the moment - just the dream of ever increasing property prices to give you a capital appreciation.

Last edited by Mercedes; Sep 18th 2007 at 5:39 am.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
??????
Sorry Jersey girl the message was meant for the OP!

oooppss
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Goatman328 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again. As you may have heard the Fed has cut rates by 50 basis points. This is absolutely disastrous for value of the dollar. Any Americans on this board should expect rampant inflation. If you do not believe me, do a little research. This is terrible news for US economy.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:09 am
Ping-ponger

Hello again. As you may have heard the Fed has cut rates by 50 basis points. This is absolutely disastrous for value of the dollar. Any Americans on this board should expect rampant inflation. If you do not believe me, do a little research. This is terrible news for US economy.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:12 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me. Have i logged onto the Wall Street Journal by mistake?
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:22 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.