Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

recently moved back to UK ...and loving it!

recently moved back to UK ...and loving it!

Old Feb 28th 2003, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up recently moved back to UK ...and loving it!

Hi there.
Moved back to the UK at Christmas, having been in Canada for the last eight years, and all I can say its fantastic to be back!!!
Over the last few years, more and more we noticed that something was misssing from our lives in Canada, and more and more we started to realise that basically its because its not home, so we decided to take the plunge and move back to UK
Before we moved there was a certain amount of apprehension about whether we were making the right choice ...we had a pretty comfortable life, and making the trips back on holiday is not the same as settling somewhere to live (as we discovered when we first went out to Canada ...loved going there on holiday, decided to move and then had to deal with the reality of coping with the daily grind same as anywhere else).
But boy is it good to back! There'so much to do here. Had met one or two expats who had tried to warn about moving back, particularly to around London, but you tend to forget just what an exciting city it can be. People have been overwhelmingly nice to us, really helped us settle and of course its great being close to family again, particulary for the kids, who can see their grandparents pretty much anytime they want. Fantastic! They're loving it too, trips into London, the shops and sights. And another thing that really struck us is that most people seem to be doing OK...lots of new landrovers and mini's around, trips abroad etc. After years earning the pretty weak Canadian loonie and having to save that bit more if we wanted to go overseas its good to back earning some pounds too.
Canada's a nice spot, but its not home.As I said before...we're back and we're loving it!!!
Old Mar 1st 2003, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: recently moved back to UK ...and loving it!

Originally posted by BigBill
Hi there.
Moved back to the UK at Christmas, having been in Canada for the last eight years, and all I can say its fantastic to be back!!!
Over the last few years, more and more we noticed that something was misssing from our lives in Canada, and more and more we started to realise that basically its because its not home, so we decided to take the plunge and move back to UK
Before we moved there was a certain amount of apprehension about whether we were making the right choice ...we had a pretty comfortable life, and making the trips back on holiday is not the same as settling somewhere to live (as we discovered when we first went out to Canada ...loved going there on holiday, decided to move and then had to deal with the reality of coping with the daily grind same as anywhere else).
But boy is it good to back! There'so much to do here. Had met one or two expats who had tried to warn about moving back, particularly to around London, but you tend to forget just what an exciting city it can be. People have been overwhelmingly nice to us, really helped us settle and of course its great being close to family again, particulary for the kids, who can see their grandparents pretty much anytime they want. Fantastic! They're loving it too, trips into London, the shops and sights. And another thing that really struck us is that most people seem to be doing OK...lots of new landrovers and mini's around, trips abroad etc. After years earning the pretty weak Canadian loonie and having to save that bit more if we wanted to go overseas its good to back earning some pounds too.
Canada's a nice spot, but its not home.As I said before...we're back and we're loving it!!!
Hi Bigbill,

The asylum seekers are doing well too, they get cash for doing nothing, at our cost

Must be nice to back with the family though, welcome back to the land of milk and honey,

Cheers,
Old Mar 1st 2003, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

For alot of these refuges the UK obviously is the land of milk and honey, otherwise why are they making such efforts to get across the channel from France. Good for them.
(And yes it is good to be back with the family...the kids are loving it in particular...in a way it makes me feel bad for the time we were away).
Old Mar 1st 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your moving back to the UK working out so well. All that matters is that your family is happy and it seems to be so. I don't think you should feel bad about having made the move to Canada, as you probably wouldn't appreciate what you have now if you hadn't of made the move.
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! Its good to have a few positive messages around.
As for the kids...well we don't regret being in Canada, but of course there is a heck of a difference between seeing the relatives once a year after a ten hour flight, and seeing them two/three time a week after a short car journey. but hey thats life.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glad to be back too!

know completely what you mean. moved back last summer, and have really enjoyed being home again.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Glad to be back too!

To know one in particular: Reading all the comments in this section of the Forum (and not just this thread) is starting to make me feel homesick. And I've tried living back over in the UK twice (for 2 years each time). But I don't think my wife would go for it. She has an aging Mum here, and, although she enjoyed our two years in the UK, I don't think she actually enjoyed working over there very much. She found her male co-workers very sexist and full of sexual innuendo (well its a Brit thing ain't it). My 15-year old daughter would go in a heartbeat though and she was born over here.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:53 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

She found her male co-workers very sexist and full of sexual innuendo (well its a Brit thing ain't it).

More so than in Canada, but I think things have improved a fair bit over last few years. My (Canadian) wife has worked for time in UK, and had no big complaints about that (possibly 'cos they knew she would have given them a mouthful!)
Andrew
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by AndrewR
More so than in Canada, but I think things have improved a fair bit over last few years. My (Canadian) wife has worked for time in UK, and had no big complaints about that (possibly 'cos they knew she would have given them a mouthful!)
Andrew
Point taken Andrew. My wife was very young and a bit intimidated at that time. She got on well with her female counterparts though and her employers (she was a temp for the first year) were impressed by her work ethic.

Last edited by TimEh?; Mar 20th 2003 at 1:52 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2003, 1:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?
..... My wife was very young and a bit intimidated at that time. ..... she tempted for the first year ...
The mind boggles!
Old Mar 19th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pulaski
The mind boggles!
AT WHAT?
Old Mar 20th 2003, 2:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?
AT WHAT?
A temporary (member of staff) temps, in the past she temped.

A temptress tempts, in the past she tempted!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2003 at 2:15 am.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pulaski
A temporary (member of staff) temps, in the past she temped.

A temptress tempts, in the past she tempted!
It's not often I get caught, but I stand corrected.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BigBill

another thing that really struck us is that most people seem to be doing OK...lots of new landrovers and mini's around, trips abroad etc.
Hi BigBill

Loads of new cars about in the UK which is down to remortgaging houses. Every £10 spent in the UK, £2 is remortgaging. Many, many Britons have discovered that the house they bought a couple of years back, at say, £75K, is now worth £250K+. Why not put another £30K on the house and buy that Range Rover you've always dreamed of?

Shikse
Old Apr 16th 2003, 6:18 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Shikse
Hi BigBill

Loads of new cars about in the UK which is down to remortgaging houses. Every £10 spent in the UK, £2 is remortgaging. Many, many Britons have discovered that the house they bought a couple of years back, at say, £75K, is now worth £250K+. Why not put another £30K on the house and buy that Range Rover you've always dreamed of?

Shikse
Getting the car isn't the problem.. it's affording the fuel bill..lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.