Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Recent experience at Heathrow ARC

Recent experience at Heathrow ARC

Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent experience at Heathrow ARC

We returned to the UK from the US on Wednesday after 16+ years away and had our two dogs, Oreo and Otis on the BA flight with us. Despite our worries they both came bounding through at ARC to meet us full of energy and non the worse for the trip. One thing we did not expect however was the 3+ hour wait at the centre whilst they were processed, some people waited up to 5 hours and a few unfortunate ones came away without pets as their paperwork was not correct.

We used Pet Express who were ok, they handled the paperwork well but weren't particularly good at the information and communication. They told us our furkids would board last and be off first. In fact they were boarded an hour before us, the ramp handler came to the BA Lounge to let us know they were on board. We were concerned because, unusually for SF it was a hot day. They didn't arrive at ARC until at least 2 hours after landing, we got there before they did.

Thankfully the facilities at ARC at much better for animals than humans, I had completely forgotten how awful vending machine coffee is.

Glad to be home but will be happier once it stops raining! Serves us right for returning just before August Bank Holiday I suppose
Old Aug 26th 2011, 3:01 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: Recent experience at Heathrow ARC

Originally Posted by steppke
We returned to the UK from the US on Wednesday after 16+ years away and had our two dogs, Oreo and Otis on the BA flight with us. Despite our worries they both came bounding through at ARC to meet us full of energy and non the worse for the trip. One thing we did not expect however was the 3+ hour wait at the centre whilst they were processed, some people waited up to 5 hours and a few unfortunate ones came away without pets as their paperwork was not correct.

We used Pet Express who were ok, they handled the paperwork well but weren't particularly good at the information and communication. They told us our furkids would board last and be off first. In fact they were boarded an hour before us, the ramp handler came to the BA Lounge to let us know they were on board. We were concerned because, unusually for SF it was a hot day. They didn't arrive at ARC until at least 2 hours after landing, we got there before they did.

Thankfully the facilities at ARC at much better for animals than humans, I had completely forgotten how awful vending machine coffee is.

Glad to be home but will be happier once it stops raining! Serves us right for returning just before August Bank Holiday I suppose
Is good to know your 'furkids' , were non the worse for the trip.

Timing I guess depends on workload. We don't know when ours was loaded, but we did see the ARC van arrive at the plane as soon as we pulled up to the gate.
Sad that some 'parents' were turned away with incomplete paperwork, it is definitely something that needs real close attention - but if done right you can just sail through, problem is there is only one chance to get it right. Hopefully it will get easier / simpler with the new upcoming rules.

Golly yes, how about this Bank Holiday rain, good ol' UK, but wait a while and it will change. Welcome back.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Everyone should be prepared for a few hours wait at ARC. (It has been talked about on here quite a bit). Both times I picked up my animals I waited about 4 hours but had been warned about that before hand so it was no surprise. They told me also when I arrived that they were there so I was not concerned as I knew they were being well cared for.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad your babies made it back safely, welcome back to the UK, coulda brought better weather with you?