Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Originally Posted by iused2liveinflorida
i used to live in florida for 15 years and i recently moved back to england. this was a major mistake. england had changed a lot since the last time i visited, and mainly for the worst. its involvement in the EU seems to have flooded it with immigrants. i hope to move back to florida.
What and become an immigrant?!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogwai
I moved over last may to work in Newcastle NSW on a sponsored visa (457). I came with a good job to start with and so I had none of the work problems encountered by others on this site.
The first 6 months were fine, I had a new circle of friends an australian g/f and work was going well but little things were niggling me and they soon grew into larger things that bothered me. I'll list the main ones:

Poor music and music scene. I'm a musician and a music fanatic so the lack of a decent music scene and tours was a big thing.

I'm not a TV fanatic but the TV has to rank among the worst I've ever seen. Barring a few exceptions the Ozzies struggle to make any good homegrown comedy/drama etc etc. The radio is awful too. I have to listen to the commercial stations at work all day and all I can say is: Australia there are other bands than The Chilli Peppers, Nickleback and Coldplay. Also I've heard the "new" Pink song 1 million times in the last 6 months therefore it's no longer new Mr Brainless DJ.

There are about 3 or 4 nice buildings in the whole of Newcastle and the rest is forgettable blandsville. Yes it's a new country and I'm not taking a pop at them on this one, I'm just saying what bothered me about the place.

Fashion? Boardies and T shirts and maybe chuck a pair of jeans on if you're going out. The clothes shopping is poor and Sydney is nothing to shout about either shopping wise considering it's supposed to be one of the worlds great cities.

Beer: There's a few good brews to be had (Coopers, James Squire, Little Creatures) but the majority of the rest (VB, Crown, Tooheys, XXXX, Carlton Draught etc etc) are bland, characterless toss. I had to laugh at a Bogan trying to chat up a German girl in a bar the other day: He was drinking VB and claimed that Oz had better beers than her home country .

Weather: Yes I like warm weather and heat doesn't bother me too much but I found myself hankering for a palpable change in seasons rather than just sun everyday and maybe a torrent of rain everynow and again. Sounds crazy but I like the strange winter light you get on clear days in Europe and the feeling you get when you go into a warm house from the cold.

Anti english press: Yes we get the idea: We: old colonial overlords, You: Aussie battlers who manage to beat us at most sports simply because we give less of a shit about them than you who use them as a substitute for lack of culture. Some papers are worse than others. The editor of The Daily Telegraph deserves a good kicking for all the aniti english bile he's printed during this ashes series.

Australia is the best country in the world. This is apparently true according to a workmate of mine. Once I'd finished listing the myriad faults of his beloved homeland he obviously labeled me a pommy whinger but my point was simple: Australia has faults and that most Aussies are so caught in their "True blue battler" crap that they deny all the minus points.

--------------------------

I move back in 20 days and yes I'm looking forward to it but I don't view England with rose tinted specs. There are as many problems if not more than Oz there, but I'll return with a much greater awareness of what I appreciated about it in the first place.
Great post Mogwai, well said.

You definately have the right idea, get in and out as fast as you can, 9 months is long enough.

An experience you can tick off the list now. All the best to you on your return.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
makes no difference, you can't change someones opinion just because you disagree with them. Best to agree to disagree on this subject. You can argue till your head blows up, we will still feel the same.

"argue till your head blows up"
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:19 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

i used to live in florida for 15 years and i recently moved back to england. this was a major mistake. england had changed a lot since the last time i visited, and mainly for the worst. its involvement in the EU seems to have flooded it with immigrants. i hope to move back to florida.
.........and please tell me, what has the USA got plenty of? Eerrrm, I think you'll find the answer is, immigrants, including people like yourself! Surprised?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:08 pm
Banned

Hippy-Dippy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT
Post of the month. Couldn't agree more.
I dont think so....the bit about australians being so caught up with how great there country is (true blue battler-whatever that means) that they don't see the minuses...has to be one of the silliest things I have read.
What do you want to do make them aware of these negatives so they can be miserable.
If they dont see the negatives...they are as good as not being there.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:09 pm
Banned

Hippy-Dippy is an unknown quantity at this point

...oh and someone like mogwai probably also complains that the british "are to hard on the UK" ...in other words you can't win.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

....where there are fewer immigrants I suppose, you imply that immigrants are not good in your email....wait a sec aren't you an immigrant......
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:30 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over last may to work in Newcastle NSW on a sponsored visa (457). I came with a good job to start with and so I had none of the work problems encountered by others on this site.
The first 6 months were fine, I had a new circle of friends an australian g/f and work was going well but little things were niggling me and they soon grew into larger things that bothered me. I'll list the main ones:

Poor music and music scene. I'm a musician and a music fanatic so the lack of a decent music scene and tours was a big thing.

I'm not a TV fanatic but the TV has to rank among the worst I've ever seen. Barring a few exceptions the Ozzies struggle to make any good homegrown comedy/drama etc etc. The radio is awful too. I have to listen to the commercial stations at work all day and all I can say is: Australia there are other bands than The Chilli Peppers, Nickleback and Coldplay. Also I've heard the "new" Pink song 1 million times in the last 6 months therefore it's no longer new Mr Brainless DJ.

There are about 3 or 4 nice buildings in the whole of Newcastle and the rest is forgettable blandsville. Yes it's a new country and I'm not taking a pop at them on this one, I'm just saying what bothered me about the place.

Fashion? Boardies and T shirts and maybe chuck a pair of jeans on if you're going out. The clothes shopping is poor and Sydney is nothing to shout about either shopping wise considering it's supposed to be one of the worlds great cities.

Beer: There's a few good brews to be had (Coopers, James Squire, Little Creatures) but the majority of the rest (VB, Crown, Tooheys, XXXX, Carlton Draught etc etc) are bland, characterless toss. I had to laugh at a Bogan trying to chat up a German girl in a bar the other day: He was drinking VB and claimed that Oz had better beers than her home country .

Weather: Yes I like warm weather and heat doesn't bother me too much but I found myself hankering for a palpable change in seasons rather than just sun everyday and maybe a torrent of rain everynow and again. Sounds crazy but I like the strange winter light you get on clear days in Europe and the feeling you get when you go into a warm house from the cold.

Anti english press: Yes we get the idea: We: old colonial overlords, You: Aussie battlers who manage to beat us at most sports simply because we give less of a shit about them than you who use them as a substitute for lack of culture. Some papers are worse than others. The editor of The Daily Telegraph deserves a good kicking for all the aniti english bile he's printed during this ashes series.

Australia is the best country in the world. This is apparently true according to a workmate of mine. Once I'd finished listing the myriad faults of his beloved homeland he obviously labeled me a pommy whinger but my point was simple: Australia has faults and that most Aussies are so caught in their "True blue battler" crap that they deny all the minus points.

--------------------------

I move back in 20 days and yes I'm looking forward to it but I don't view England with rose tinted specs. There are as many problems if not more than Oz there, but I'll return with a much greater awareness of what I appreciated about it in the first place.

Great Post Mogwai. I've only just read this as I was in the middle of moving back myself when you posted it. By now you should be home and hopefully enjoying life back in the UK like we are. Returning home after living away enables you to see your home through different eyes and appreciate things that can be taken for granted. Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Mogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Great Post Mogwai. I've only just read this as I was in the middle of moving back myself when you posted it. By now you should be home and hopefully enjoying life back in the UK like we are. Returning home after living away enables you to see your home through different eyes and appreciate things that can be taken for granted. Good luck
I've been back for 5 months now and I can honestly say that I don't miss Oz even in the slightest. Yes this has been one of the worst summers in history but I'm just happy to be back in my own country with it's complicated and ancient history and beautiful villages. I'm glad to be back in a country that produces quality drama and comedy that the rest of the world pays to watch.
I'm going to the Czech Republic for a weekend break in a months time and I will appreciate the sub 2 hour flight it will take to get there to visit a totally different culture.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:33 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back for 5 months now and I can honestly say that I don't miss Oz even in the slightest. Yes this has been one of the worst summers in history but I'm just happy to be back in my own country with it's complicated and ancient history and beautiful villages. I'm glad to be back in a country that produces quality drama and comedy that the rest of the world pays to watch. I'm going to the Czech Republic for a weekend break in a months time and I will appreciate the sub 2 hour flight it will take to get there to visit a totally different culture.
Hmmmmm we pay for them to make it, for them to sell it to make huge profits which they keep is more accurate
£ 145 a year per House !!! TV licence

Billions and Billions a year ,good old BBC
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Hmmmmm we pay for them to make it, for them to sell it to make huge profits which they keep is more accurate
£ 145 a year per House !!! TV licence
I won't even tell you what my cable bill is here over the year.

I'll bet good money that when you do move to Spain you won't be watching Spanish telly. You'll be forking out many many Euros to get illegal Satellite from the same good old BBC and you'll bitch like hell when the installation gets delayed or you get sun spots on the satellite and it goes out.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back for 5 months now and I can honestly say that I don't miss Oz even in the slightest. Yes this has been one of the worst summers in history but I'm just happy to be back in my own country with it's complicated and ancient history and beautiful villages. I'm glad to be back in a country that produces quality drama and comedy that the rest of the world pays to watch.
I'm going to the Czech Republic for a weekend break in a months time and I will appreciate the sub 2 hour flight it will take to get there to visit a totally different culture.
Hi Mogwai

I just read your original post.
Brilliant.
So glad you weren't blinded by the light here in Oz & are happily home......hope you've been to loadsa gigs n festys
xxxx
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by denver
Yes Australia has faults but why do english people take it so personally when Australian or people from elsewhere say how much they love Australia and that it is the best country in the world? Australians should not rub their viewpoint in people's faces, but some English people just love pointing out the faults in Australia which are often minor as a kind of "wanting to bring those up themselves Aussies down a peg or two" This "Australia has no culture" line is completely untrue, very vague and not backed up by evidence. Whinging Australia is sport obsessed just because Australia happens to thrash England in the Ashes doesn't cut it. England was 100 percent sport obsessed when it came to the World Cup - everyone thought England was going to win, and I hoped they would simply because it would make everyone in England deliriously happy!

beer: lots of varieties available, just because you are in Australia does not mean you have to drink Aussie beer.

Clothes: some communites like the casual look agreed, I prefer to dress nicely, and you can if you wish. Shopping is great, the ease and convenience re: public transport and parking, and lots of independent type boutiques rather than just endless high street chain stores.

Newcastle: has a history of blue collar workers inhabiting the place due to the steel manufacturing plants, not a lot of money floating around. I agree with you on this point: Australia does not have a lot of praise-worthy buildings, unless they are old.

I am young and love Oz, plenty of pubs/clubs (if thats your thing) cafe culture, plus an outdoor lifestyle if thats your thing too.

Aussie battler thing: do not think this true of Australia these days, maybe in the past during the 1950's and 1960's. The truth is Australia is now one of the most prosperous countries in the world (GDP per capita higher than the UK) there is a rivalry with the UK, sure, because you are the mother country but there is a lot of affection from Australia towards England as our "cultures" are so similar, and the great institutions we have (ie democracy, parliament) was brought there and est. so strongly in Oz because we were settled by Britain.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.
the start of your post you defend australia, which is admiral,but the point is- australians cannot, and will not, accept any form of criticism of their country regardless of how trivial it may seem, but will happily run down the uk when most have never even visited it .
i return to the uk in october this year and all i get from friends and collegues is "why would you want to return to the uk"
i will take back with me many happy memories of australia but my personal preferance is to reside in the uk, problems and all.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
the start of your post you defend australia, which is admiral,but the point is- australians cannot, and will not, accept any form of criticism of their country regardless of how trivial it may seem, but will happily run down the uk when most have never even visited it .
I find the same with Americans. In fact I've been all over the place and the only people I find who are perfectly happy to bash their country to pieces is the Brits.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by blowers
Hello Mogwai

I just want to wish you good luck. I was in a very similar position - single, good job etc in Sydney and your post really struck a chord, as for me the main reason (as well as some niggling things) for returning was as you put it, the overwhelming sense of isolation, and I have travelled a lot on my own to far flung places etc, so was not at all prepared to feel like that.
I'm back in the UK, but am planning to return to Oz soon to give it a second go, but I still haven't quite worked out what to do, as regards that feeling of isolation. Good luck to you

SuzieB
Hi Suzie B,

Sydney can be great. People here have taken a pop at it and after three years here, I can say that it is not London where you have such an expat scene, but then I did not come here for that. I have made friends, but they have come through a concerted effort and also through other channels (I play heaps more sport for instance). Contrary to popular belief, Oz is not a pub culture. People enjoy a drink, but not to the extent they do in England. English who work at my firm, complain that noone goes for beers any other night except for Fridays. Well I put that down to the fact that most people like to go and spend time with the family, go surfing or running etc.

I love this place, but have only been able to settle after three years and call this home. Then again I have made an effort to befriend Ozzies and other cultures to enrich the experience. Anyone expecting it to be England in the sun, should rather stick to moving to the Canary Islands..

Perseverance is the key- it can work. I am proof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.