Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Mogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Originally Posted by Hutch
I found myself agreeing with a bit of it too - but his priorities (being single and a lot younger) are different to mine and so they don't wind me up. Ten years ago, when I was a jobbing club DJ, there is no way on earth I'd have survived more than a month in Australia.

And he's spot-on regarding the press.
Yeah I made sure I aimed the slant of my post towards younger people. I have no wife and child so what I look for to make me happy is maybe not the same as a family orientated person.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:54 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogwai
Yeah I made sure I aimed the slant of my post towards younger people. I have no wife and child so what I look for to make me happy is maybe not the same as a family orientated person.
It was a very good post IMO and you are obviously very observant. Alot of people might not have taken any notice of the media and their bias/racist style, or the very poor, amateur radio and it's presenters. Apart from the lack of up to date music, I cringe when I hear some of things they say, it's nothing short of embarrassing and child like most of the time and, they shout at you, not talk. Have a good trip home.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Mogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud ofMogwai has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
It was a very good post IMO and you are obviously very observant. Alot of people might not have taken any notice of the media and their bias/racist style, or the very poor, amateur radio and it's presenters. Apart from the lack of up to date music, I cringe when I hear some of things they say, it's nothing short of embarrassing and child like most of the time and, they shout at you, not talk. Have a good trip home.
Cheers .

The radio drives me mad on a daily basis. One of my aussie mates who hates the radio too (except for JJJ) bet 10 bucks with his work colleagues that he could name the next 5 songs to be played at 3 o'clock. He won the bet because he knew that the station played the SAME songs every day and at certain times in exactly the same order.

And the radio ads? don't even get me started *shudders*
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:33 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers .

The radio drives me mad on a daily basis. One of my aussie mates who hates the radio too (except for JJJ) bet 10 bucks with his work colleagues that he could name the next 5 songs to be played at 3 o'clock. He won the bet because he knew that the station played the SAME songs every day and at certain times in exactly the same order.

Haha, my hubby did exactly the same with his apprentice and won, just as your mate did. It's so predictably boring. Have you heard the Alan Jones phone-ins yet?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Haha, my hubby did exactly the same with his apprentice and won, just as your mate did. It's so predictably boring. Have you heard the Alan Jones phone-ins yet?
No but I know exactly who you're talking about. A guy I work with is a left wing hippy who has a CD of snippets where Alan Jones gets his arse handed to him by well reasoned intelligent callers.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I find the reasons he gave for disliking Australia highly amusing that's all.

I don't like country music so I switch to another radio station,
I don't like Coronation St so I turn to another channel,
I don't like Guiness so I drink Bitter,
I get the piss taken out of me by my South African workmate so I take the piss back,

Do you get the idea? It's the same all over the world not just in Australia.
But what do I know, I'm from Surrey
You're missing the point. Here there is no other choice. If you don't like the TV, music, beer, weather then tough, you can't turn over to something better, you can't escape the climate, there is no decent and varied music, and trying to find a good beer is possible but not easy, and probably not Australian.

Oh and if you talk back to an Aussie that is being rude or belittling the UK or Poms they can't take it in return, they usually sulk off muttering 'whinging pom'. There is no debating or arguing with them, Australia is great and that's the end of it, They were told so on the telly.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:27 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers .

You should listen to that idiot John Lawes, for our 1st year here prior to fitting a better ariel we could only get his channel and it probably single handedly nailed most of the nails in our Australian coffin. It wasn't so much what he was saying day in day out, but what the listeners were phoning in saying.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I need nourishment for my soul and going to the beach + endless barbecues does not provide it. I just find this country very bland and with none of the character and buzz of creativity that I felt I got in any number of european places.
I've never been to Oz, but this is pretty much how I feel about South Africa after ten years here. The 'great' weather becomes monotonous, the buildings are dreary, it's also isolated. One hesitates to use the 'b' word, but in too many ways it's...bland.

It's been a relief to find this board and hear people feeling the way I do - there's no such discussion around here where it's also given that the climate in the UK is grey and cold permanently.

That's exactly it Mogwai - nourishment for the soul. For me that's the key thing. Comparisons of crime, money, weather are insignificant if what's around you only drains the batteries of your soul, never recharges them. For all that's said about SA, I live a nice life here, among good people, but the place just isn't reaching the parts that the UK can reach!

Last edited by whalewatcher; Feb 6th 2007 at 12:14 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
You're missing the point. Here there is no other choice. If you don't like the TV, music, beer, weather then tough, you can't turn over to something better, you can't escape the climate, there is no decent and varied music, and trying to find a good beer is possible but not easy, and probably not Australian.

Oh and if you talk back to an Aussie that is being rude or belittling the UK or Poms they can't take it in return, they usually sulk off muttering 'whinging pom'. There is no debating or arguing with them, Australia is great and that's the end of it, They were told so on the telly.
Don't people realise that Australia has a hot climate before moving there?

I have no idea what Oz TV is like but I don't have satellite or cable TV at home and I can't get channel 5 so my choice is limited to 4 channels. On numerous occasions I have turned off the TV because there is nothing good on. I really can't see a problem?
You can buy music from the internet and listen to it on CD at your leisure.

If an Australian ever slagged the UK off if in front of a Brit here in Britain, are you trying to tell me that the Brit wouldn't get upset? of course they would.
You only have to read this forum to realise that, look how many Brits are slagging off Australia & Australians.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea what Oz TV is like but I don't have satellite or cable TV at home and I can't get channel 5 so my choice is limited to 4 channels. On numerous occasions I have turned off the TV because there is nothing good on. I really can't see a problem?

If an Australian ever slagged the UK off if in front of a Brit here in Britain, are you trying to tell me that the Brit wouldn't get upset? of course they would.
You only have to read this forum to realise that, look how many Brits are slagging off Australia & Australians.
makes no difference, you can't change someones opinion just because you disagree with them. Best to agree to disagree on this subject. You can argue till your head blows up, we will still feel the same.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Top tip: When replying to posts read them thoroughly first.

I like hot weather and I'm not complaining about it. It took 9 months of being here before I realised that I liked a bit of change to my weather and that was just a minor reason amongst the ones I listed.

I have 600 CD's here with me. I'm talking about seeing live bands that I like and the actual music made by the local bands (which I don't find much cop).

What bothers me about the TV is the feeling that I'm in a country that produces no culture of it's own but imports it instead mostly from the USA and the UK. Look at all the most creative and brilliant Australian stars of TV and music and have a guess where the majority of them reside.

It aint OZ.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:36 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whalewatcher
I've never been to Oz, but this is pretty much how I feel about South Africa after ten years here. The 'great' weather becomes monotonous, the buildings are dreary, it's also isolated. One hesitates to use the 'b' word, but in too many ways it's...bland.

It's been a relief to find this board and hear people feeling the way I do - there's no such discussion around here where it's also given that the climate in the UK is grey and cold permanently.

That's exactly it Mogwai - nourishment for the soul. For me that's the key thing. Comparisons of crime, money, weather are insignificant if what's around you only drains the batteries of your soul, never recharges them. For all that's said about SA, I live a nice life here, among good people, but the place just isn't reaching the parts that the UK can reach!
l don't know how you can compare OZ to South Africa, SA is a crime ridden semi-third world hell hole while OZ has been declared the second best country in the world to live in behind France. You should visit OZ and not judge it just by what the OZ - bashers on this forum say.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
You should visit OZ and not judge it just by what the OZ - bashers on this forum say.
...or by what insecure and insular Aussies, who keep banging on about how great it is, say either.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:50 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Australians slag off the UK all the time when they are in Aus. They consider insulting us as part and parcel of being an Australian, (a "time honoured tradition" as I heard it called in their media more than once), but as arkon says, give them anything back and they start crying. If you have the slighest sense of pride, and your not prepared to doff your cap to them, disown your background and tell them how crap the UK is and how great they are, you'll find it gets on your nerves pretty quickly.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:54 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Australians slag off the UK all the time when they are in Aus. They consider insulting us as part and parcel of being an Australian, (a "time honoured tradition" as I heard it called in their media more than once), but as arkon says, give them anything back and they start crying. If you have the slighest sense of pride, and your not prepared to doff your cap to them, disown your background and tell them how crap the UK is and how great they are, you'll find it gets on your nerves pretty quickly.
Too flippin' true and I am sick of it physically sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.