Is this Really an Issue?

Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this Really an Issue?

After reading this BBC report on the Government's initiative regarding anti-social behaviour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3188022.stm

why would anyone want to go back?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:34 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is this Really an Issue?

yes because it goes on in every country - and at least they are trying to do something about it in the UK.

from my experience noise from neighbours and other anti-social issues are not unique to uk.

certainly i feel that there is more power here in uk to deal with these issues than in other countries which usually pass the buck to mediators with few official powers.

Originally posted by flashman
After reading this BBC report on the Government's initiative regarding anti-social behaviour

Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:21 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Every place has problems flash. How about gambling amongst teenagers?After reading this report you might think, why would anyone want to live in canada?
http://www.canada.com/national/story...4-9D7D9AB85A4F
You must also be spectacularly blind not to notice the drug problems in parts of vancouver...blind or wilfully ignoring it. how about this?
http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...4-079726acd1c9

as it happens I don't judge a country on a cut and paste article...you might want to consider that

Last edited by AndrewR; Oct 14th 2003 at 8:46 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndrewR
Every place has problems flash. How about gambling amongst teenagers?After reading this report you might think, why would anyone want to live in canada?
http://www.canada.com/national/story...4-9D7D9AB85A4F
You must also be spectacularly blind not to notice the drug problems in parts of vancouver...blind or wilfully ignoring it. how about this?
http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...4-079726acd1c9

as it happens I don't judge a country on a cut and paste article...you might want to consider that

I am well aware of these issues but I was merely pointing out that the anti-social behaviour in the UK seems to be especially severe when soccer fans are barred from entry into other countries and the Government has determined that the situation requires special attention in 10 areas of the country.

Seems to be more than isolated instances.

Last edited by flashman; Oct 14th 2003 at 10:16 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:28 pm
Merlot

Agreed but here on NSW Central Coast Australia we have terrible problems, as with all Australia.

Been in Oz since 1997 and been a victim of crime more than once (robberies of car & home for drug money) and our current neighbours teenage children are running feral in the area, causing damage to property and cars.

Sometimes the sun and sea can blind us from this. Thank you for the link though.

Old Oct 15th 2003, 3:46 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

I referred earlier to wilfully ignoring problems. Perhaps selective blindness might be a better description.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:38 am
Just Joined

barkingtoad is an unknown quantity at this point

I have personally never experienced crime in the UK.

However whilst living in Perth WA, up in the hills, my house was burgled in broad daylight when I was at work. They smashed in my patio doors (A$ 1,500.00 to fix) and cleaned me out. The cops arrived at the scene 24 hours later said it was "kids", took off, and I never heard anything from them again.

A few weeks later my girlfriend in Mt. Lawley, Perth was burgled. They got in through the roof and took everything that was not nailed down including some very expensive jewelry.

Sometime after that an estate agent friend of mine was found murdered in Fremantle. He had been bludgeoned to death by a demented transvestite!

Basically, Flashman, as they say in your part of the world "S**t happens"

What gets me though, after spending many years abroad in various countries, is an attitude that many ex-pats develop, including you.

You have to justify to yourself your decision to emigrate by knocking your native country. You are seeking solace and reassurance that you have done the right thing by criticizing the country of your birth.

This displays a certain amount of insecurity and naivety. Do you honestly believe that the UK is the only country in the world that has serious social and economic problems? Name one that hasn’t!

Personally, I think that the UK is going downhill big time but I have also learned that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.

But when all is said and done this is the only place in the world where I do not feel like a foreigner.

Best regards

Barkingtoad.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

bobkhag5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by barkingtoad
I have personally never experienced crime in the UK.

However whilst living in Perth WA, up in the hills, my house was burgled in broad daylight when I was at work. They smashed in my patio doors (A$ 1,500.00 to fix) and cleaned me out. The cops arrived at the scene 24 hours later said it was "kids", took off, and I never heard anything from them again.

A few weeks later my girlfriend in Mt. Lawley, Perth was burgled. They got in through the roof and took everything that was not nailed down including some very expensive jewelry.

Sometime after that an estate agent friend of mine was found murdered in Fremantle. He had been bludgeoned to death by a demented transvestite!

Basically, Flashman, as they say in your part of the world "S**t happens"

What gets me though, after spending many years abroad in various countries, is an attitude that many ex-pats develop, including you.

You have to justify to yourself your decision to emigrate by knocking your native country. You are seeking solace and reassurance that you have done the right thing by criticizing the country of your birth.

This displays a certain amount of insecurity and naivety. Do you honestly believe that the UK is the only country in the world that has serious social and economic problems? Name one that hasn’t!

Personally, I think that the UK is going downhill big time but I have also learned that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.

But when all is said and done this is the only place in the world where I do not feel like a foreigner.

Best regards

Barkingtoad.

Some very good + valued points made Barkingtoad. By the way im looking to immigrate from UK to Canada. I understand that Canada will not be better than the UK in all aspects but it appeals to me in the areas that matter to me. I guess this could be said to most people that move abroad.

You can never be 100% satisfied with where you are, but it's what you make it.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I actually find it noisier living over in Canada. No one seems to adhere to any sort of noise codes, especially during the summer late at night. Our neighbours often make alot of noise at around 2-3am in the morning (He works for Sony and like to test out how great and lud his stereo can go) and there is one guy I affectionately call Karaoke Man because he insists on singing on a karaoke machine full pelt late at night many times during the summer. We live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods as well so I hate to think what it would be like elsewhere.

Obviously this is going to happen in the UK as well, but I really haven't has that much trouble in the past.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by daisymoll
I actually find it noisier living over in Canada. No one seems to adhere to any sort of noise codes, especially during the summer late at night. Our neighbours often make alot of noise at around 2-3am in the morning (He works for Sony and like to test out how great and lud his stereo can go) and there is one guy I affectionately call Karaoke Man because he insists on singing on a karaoke machine full pelt late at night many times during the summer. We live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods as well so I hate to think what it would be like elsewhere.

Obviously this is going to happen in the UK as well, but I really haven't has that much trouble in the past.
I was in Canada last week and have vistited many times before without coming across this problem. Obviously it's different when living there. However i think it's the luck of the draw. My cousin in the UK has a right pain for a neighbour while living in a nice town, where as i living in a horrible part of town have good neighbours.

The point is good or bad parts of town, you will always get selfish prats that don't care about anyone else around them.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally posted by bobkhag5
I was in Canada last week and have vistited many times before without coming across this problem. Obviously it's different when living there. However i think it's the luck of the draw. My cousin in the UK has a right pain for a neighbour while living in a nice town, where as i living in a horrible part of town have good neighbours.

The point is good or bad parts of town, you will always get selfish prats that don't care about anyone else around them.

This is true I suppose as is the case with most things...

Last edited by daisymoll; Oct 15th 2003 at 4:16 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:31 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting point that you cannot be 100% happy wherever you live! Bollocks - yes you can.

Many people live in dire circumstances and look happy, say they are happy and are indeed happy. Why? Appreciation of what they have and understanding that both happiness and sadness are a temporary state of mind which we (me included) impute on outside circumstances or factors.

Scotch
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by scotch03
Interesting point that you cannot be 100% happy wherever you live! Bollocks - yes you can.

Many people live in dire circumstances and look happy, say they are happy and are indeed happy. Why? Appreciation of what they have and understanding that both happiness and sadness are a temporary state of mind which we (me included) impute on outside circumstances or factors.

Scotch
Scotch

My point was that you will always have ups and downs. Your life can never be good all the time. If you never have the downs then how will you know what the Good times feel like...!!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I have also lived overseas, I spent 10 years living all over Australia, (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin and 3 months in Perth) and in 96 returned to UK, personally I hated it, I found the people, negative, critical and in comparision unfriendly. After 2 years I ended up in Southern Spain for 4 years., though again I find some of the British are living in British ghettos, they don´t want to adopt the culture of their new home but want a clone of UK and they bring their behaviour with them to boot. And only a small minority intergrate into the spanish culture. Too many British people like to put people into "Boxes", or should I say the "class system" and generally tend to think they are more superior to the people of their host country.

Since I have picked up various accents, and adopted some of their customs from countries I have lived in I´m not always identifided in being a British, which is a blessing, being blond I tend to be mistaken for scandanavian.

No country is without its problems, but probably the happiest people I have met have been from poor countries, the British are generally not liked because they try and make their adopted country become a version of UK and nowadays we are viewed as either snobs or yobs. Australians in countries closer to them seem to be viewed as the latter overseas (not my words) but lets face it, Australia was set up originally on UK criminals. Beautiful country, but is often viewed as uncultured and beer swilling.

The west is generally too soft on its criminals, the safest places as a woman that I felt safe was in the middle east and parts of Asia. I´m not saying that all their ways are better (moreso for women) but their criminals know the penalities. The trouble with the west we have become too politically correct and until the industrialised countries start to toughen up there will always be problems. I love going to new countries, especially the poorer ones, because generally I find the people more friendly and hospitable, and interestingly sometimes happier - maybe because they don´t know any better.

Until the western society goes back to teaching its young old fashioned values of self respect, respecting others and their properties etc etc, society will never solve the problem of anti social behaviour, crime etc etc..........and any country that does not recognise that, we will keep finding that the grass is not any greener, wherever we choose to live. Interesting, stastics show the UK is the most expensive and most violent country in Europe. (In the Industrialised world) The other two in crime figures in those top figures are USA (being 1) UK second and Australia 3rd...... would I live back in Australia no, I find the majority of the people unsophisticated and crude.

Though I have many friends who are Australian, but they are ones who have travelled or left. Interesting a number of educated Australians are going overseas, look at the stastics of Australians leaving.....

Makes me laugh that the British Government are cracking down on Anti social behaviour and motorists and a victim can be sued by a criminal, or get stabbed in the street by a yob for simply asking him to pick up his fish and chip paper........

Generation British are leaving UK by the planeloads at the moment, a friend of mine was buying a house and 5 out 9 who were selling were leaving the country and going to live oversea. UK will be left with the yobs, criminals and asylum seekers!!

So personally I think anyone who is unhappy with UK has a pretty good reason to be so.......its a dump in comparison to a lot of countries regardless of their problems, so maybe their viewpoint is justifiable.......sorry just an opinion.

The great thing is that the world is now a smaller place and we are not tied by our roots and I personally like to learn new ideas and cultures, the friends that I have are from all the world, which makes life more interesting and open minded and who´s to say we have to live the rest of lives in any one country.......Enjoy and move on....

Mercedes...
Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
yes because it goes on in every country - and at least they are trying to do something about it in the UK.

from my experience noise from neighbours and other anti-social issues are not unique to uk. .....
Yes but in Britain houses are so close together that they have to do something about it.

At least in most parts of America it is possible to move out of the city centers and find a reasonably priced detached house so that what your neighbor does is not such an immediate concern as it would be living in a British semi-detached.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.