British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   The Real NHS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/real-nhs-771020/)

Pit Bull. Oct 1st 2012 2:35 pm

Re: The Real NHS

There's talk of strike action at my wife's hospital, they are making redundant up to 100 admin staff and they are restructuring wards, closing beds, getting staff to reapply for their jobs, it's extremely stressful to everyone, it's been like this for the last couple of years now.

Grayling Oct 2nd 2012 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10308407)
There's talk of strike action at my wife's hospital, they are making redundant up to 100 admin staff and they are restructuring wards, closing beds, getting staff to reapply for their jobs, it's extremely stressful to everyone, it's been like this for the last couple of years now.

Just like Queensland health then....except here it is nursing staff being chopped

chris955 Oct 2nd 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10309322)
Just like Queensland health then....except here it is nursing staff being chopped

I was going to say that but didnt want to make it a UK v OZ thing but you are absolutely right though. Things are not looking good in Queensland several other States.

Pit Bull. Oct 2nd 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10309322)

There's been three rounds of nursing redundancies at my wife's hospital, front line nursing numbers are at a record low, i think its UK wide, it's good advice for nurses looking at migrating, Queensland isn't the place to head at present, but there's plenty of other areas and states that nurses are sought after.

chris955 Oct 2nd 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10310050)
There's been three rounds of nursing redundancies at my wife's hospital, front line nursing numbers are at a record low, i think its UK wide, it's good advice for nurses looking at migrating, Queensland isn't the place to head at present, but there's plenty of other areas and states that nurses are sought after.

Unfortunately it is also happening in NSW and South Australia as I understand it.
Im not sure if it UK wide, a quick search shows over 600 nursing job vacancies in the Herefordshire region. I would hazzard a guess and say there are also job vacancies all over Australia but a common misconception is that there are no jobs in this country.

Pit Bull. Oct 2nd 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10310115)
Unfortunately it is also happening in NSW and South Australia as I understand it.
Im not sure if it UK wide, a quick search shows over 600 nursing job vacancies in the Herefordshire region. I would hazzard a guess and say there are also job vacancies all over Australia but a common misconception is that there are no jobs in this country.

I saw a programme a couple of months back that showed a lot of hospitals up and down the country are massively in debt and are looking at cutting costs, plus front line nursing staff numbers are at an all time low, obviously it's not every hospital, but nurses morale is at an all time low in general.

dunroving Oct 2nd 2012 6:23 pm

If the NHS is anything like the part of the public sector I'm working in, these vacancies aren't new positions. Senior people are retiring early or being made redundant. They are then replaced with part-time staff, junior staff, and fewer staff.

We lost three people last year, one very senior. They have been (will be) replaced only by two staff, both at the most junior level. Also, advertising and interviewing is deliberately dragged out so the university saves money during the extended period between when people leave and ther replacements start. In the meantime, we have to work extra hard to cover the gaps.

that's the reality of the situation from my own experience in the public sector.

Pit Bull. Oct 2nd 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10310221)
If the NHS is anything like the part of the public sector I'm working in, these vacancies aren't new positions. Senior people are retiring early or being made redundant. They are then replaced with part-time staff, junior staff, and fewer staff.

We lost three people last year, one very senior. They have been (will be) replaced only by two staff, both at the most junior level. Also, advertising and interviewing is deliberately dragged out so the university saves money during the extended period between when people leave and ther replacements start. In the meantime, we have to work extra hard to cover the gaps.

that's the reality of the situation from my own experience in the public sector.

That's the same experience my wife has, someone leaves, they then take ages to replace them, in the meantime they run short and any new contract is temporary, just in case they need to make cuts again, I think it's generally acknowledged that staffing in the NHS is in a dire way, not everywhere, but you have to work in the NHS to fully understand how bad it is.

Grayling Oct 2nd 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10310227)
but you have to work in the NHS to fully understand how bad it is.

I did....for nearly 40 years and it is lightyears better than the mickey mouse service over here.

dunroving Oct 2nd 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10310344)
I did....for nearly 40 years and it is lightyears better than the mickey mouse service over here.

Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than the US, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?

Grayling Oct 2nd 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10310348)
Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than the US, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?

I am in Australia

dunroving Oct 2nd 2012 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10310371)
I am in Australia

In that case, "Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than in Australia, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?"

TheArmChairDetective Oct 2nd 2012 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10310050)

I understand from friends who are nurses in the Greater Manchester Area that they have to apply for their own jobs which they see as precursors to redundancies there.

Which jobs and at what hospitals will have to remain anonymous.

Fish n Chips 56 Oct 3rd 2012 3:11 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10310221)

That's how its been in the retail trade for over thirty years, I'm not kidding...

A 40 hour employee leaves, Their eight hour shift becomes two four hour shifts, that way you have more flexibility for scheduling at busy times, OK so that makes good business sense, but its not good for employees as they hire 2 or 3 people to do those 4 hours shifts, As a manager I was told not to schedule them too many hours, that way none of the new hires get medical and other benefits, plus it takes them many years longer to work up the pay scale, saving the company lots of money...

Of course that's not good enough for the greedy, they decide to install scanners so that the general public can check themselves out, Oh How Fun!, putting more people out of work and putting that money in their piggy bank, I know some people like self check but what kind of a discount do you get for that, not even 1%, so you are now an unpaid employee, this is the greedy at work, they will do anything to save a buck, Self check has put thousands out of work, and on welfare, of course we the tax payers fork out for that, so how much have we really saved...

I remember when scanners were first introduced, people were concerned they may lose their jobs, they were told they wouldn't, but that wasn't really the truth was it...

Grayling Oct 3rd 2012 6:28 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10310396)
In that case, "Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than in Australia, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?"

All three

TheArmChairDetective Oct 3rd 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10310727)
That's how its been in the retail trade for over thirty years, I'm not kidding...

A 40 hour employee leaves, Their eight hour shift becomes two four hour shifts, that way you have more flexibility for scheduling at busy times, OK so that makes good business sense, but its not good for employees as they hire 2 or 3 people to do those 4 hours shifts, As a manager I was told not to schedule them too many hours, that way none of the new hires get medical and other benefits, plus it takes them many years longer to work up the pay scale, saving the company lots of money...

Of course that's not good enough for the greedy, they decide to install scanners so that the general public can check themselves out, Oh How Fun!, putting more people out of work and putting that money in their piggy bank, I know some people like self check but what kind of a discount do you get for that, not even 1%, so you are now an unpaid employee, this is the greedy at work, they will do anything to save a buck, Self check has put thousands out of work, and on welfare, of course we the tax payers fork out for that, so how much have we really saved...

I remember when scanners were first introduced, people were concerned they may lose their jobs, they were told they wouldn't, but that wasn't really the truth was it...

Great post and good example's of managerial examples put into practice.

chris955 Oct 3rd 2012 8:28 am

Im not sure how self checkouts have resulted in 1000's of job losses, I dont know about Australia but most of the big supermarkets here have been employing more people.

pommybird Oct 3rd 2012 8:31 am

The public sector in this country has finally caught up and is going through what the private sector has been doing for years....restructuring and streamlining to be able to survive and continue in some shape or form, while attempting to support an ageing and burgeoning population.

Yes NHS staff deserve better, the redundancies and pressure on clinical staff in hospitals stinks, but as far as I can see there is no alternative.

I still believe the crucial elements of service we receive in our hospitals are fantastic. My experiences in the UK were having a very ill father who eventually died in hospital after receiving palliative care and a son who required surgery at a young age, both times the clinical treatment and nursing care were second to none.

Go to many places in Europe and be admitted to hospital, and you would be expected to bring a friend or relative with you to undertake the majority of your nursing care.

chris955 Oct 3rd 2012 8:35 am

I have to agree, my son broke his arm about 7 weeks ago now and the care he received was fantastic, hardly any waiting and amazing staff. The system isnt perfect and is being stretched but certainly around here there are no signs of lack of staff or bad 'service'.

dunroving Oct 3rd 2012 8:37 am

If you peruse the recreation and leisure literature from 30 or so years ago, it was full of predictions that technology and automation would make our jobs easier and we'd all be taking lseisurely 3-day or 4-day "weekends". The reality has been that we are simply expected to be more productive in our 5 days (ha! Can't remember my last 5-day work week), that we are employed part-time to do a full week's work, that we now work on the train to work, via our laptops and smart phones, and/or that fewer peple are employed to achieve what more people were achieving before all this technology made our tasks easier.

Oh, and I forgot one more thing - we now have to spend 50% of our time writing reports and evaluations and blue-sky thinking strategies instead of actually getting on with the job.

NHS (I just put that in there so the post wasn't off-topic!)

And yes, before anyone points out the bleedin' obvious, I know Australia is probably the same!

pommybird Oct 3rd 2012 8:43 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10311011)
If you peruse the recreation and leisure literature from 30 or so years ago, it was full of predictions that technology and automation would make our jobs easier and we'd all be taking lseisurely 3-day or 4-day "weekends". The reality has been that we are simply expected to be more productive in our 5 days (ha! Can't remember my last 5-day work week), that we are employed part-time to do a full week's work, that we now work on the train to work, via our laptops and smart phones, and/or that fewer peple are employed to achieve what more people were achieving before all this technology made our tasks easier.

Oh, and I forgot one more thing - we now have to spend 50% of our time writing reports and evaluations and blue-sky thinking strategies instead of actually getting on with the job.

NHS (I just put that in there so the post wasn't off-topic!)

Your post is very ON topic.....the level of accountability and resulting red tape (like lines of reporting and evaluations) that is now inherent in sectors like health and education is beyond ridiculous.

It would be interesting to see how much more of our health/education budgets are now spent on the additional support staff required to undertake audits/evaluations etc than 10 years ago?

TheArmChairDetective Oct 3rd 2012 8:49 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10311000)
Im not sure how self checkouts have resulted in 1000's of job losses, I dont know about Australia but most of the big supermarkets here have been employing more people.

Hmm, With Part Time Working being the new Full time working,let's hope the 2,200 who just got made redundant with JJB Sports can all get jobs with Aldi.

Mind you, how come I never see any of these extra employed people when I'm in the supermarket spending my meager wedge?

Anyway, back to the NHS.

Fish n Chips 56 Oct 3rd 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10311000)

Im talking about American Supermarkets and DIY stores, all the large chains have a minimum of 4 self check outs, many have 6 or 8 and with one person to watch over the 4-6-8 customers, add it up, its Thousands of jobs... Shops in the UK are doing it too, Im not sure about other countries but I doubt they would not jump on board, its Free Labour...

chris955 Oct 3rd 2012 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10311060)
Im talking about American Supermarkets and DIY stores, all the large chains have a minimum of 4 self check outs, many have 6 or 8 and with one person to watch over the 4-6-8 customers, add it up, its Thousands of jobs... Shops in the UK are doing it too, Im not sure about other countries but I doubt they would not jump on board, its Free Labour...

Sorry didnt realise you were talking about the US.

chris955 Oct 3rd 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 10311033)
Hmm, With Part Time Working being the new Full time working,let's hope the 2,200 who just got made redundant with JJB Sports can all get jobs with Aldi.

Mind you, how come I never see any of these extra employed people when I'm in the supermarket spending my meager wedge?

Anyway, back to the NHS.

What a bizarre post :confused:

Zen10 Oct 3rd 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10311060)

Coles is pretty good in Australia but Woolworths are shocking for only opening one or two tills. We stopped shopping there and switched to Coles within a few weeks of working this out and rarely go in there now. We use a lot of smaller shops as well. The automated tills are indeed a great way for megamarts to pay for one person to mind 8 tills. Funnily enough though when these were brought in prices didn't go down in reflection of their lower overheads. I hate using them because it just means I am working as a slave for Coles for as long as it takes me to put my stuff through the checkout. There are numerous ways to con them on these tills if one is that way inclined I suppose, but I have always been honest with them.

TheArmChairDetective Oct 3rd 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10311379)
What a bizarre post :confused:

Why?

Have you not heard who has been made redundant this week and who has announced job placements, or was you post about supermarkets a stab in the dark?
Or was it the bit about my meager funds :D

Originally Posted by Zen10 (Post 10311421)
The automated tills are indeed a great way for megamarts to pay for one person to mind 8 tills. Funnily enough though when these were brought in prices didn't go down in reflection of their lower overheads.

Hopefully after the cost of the automated till is recovered the same outlets will reflect the lower overheads in their pricing structure. But I won't hold my breath.

Fish n Chips 56 Oct 3rd 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 10311435)
Why?

Have you not heard who has been made redundant this week and who has announced job placements, or was you post about supermarkets a stab in the dark?
Or was it the bit about my meager funds :D

Hopefully after the cost of the automated till is recovered the same outlets will reflect the lower overheads in their pricing structure. But I won't hold my breath.

My biggest concern about these busy self check areas is that the user has their mind on the job at hand and with other shoppers passing close by you could easily get pick pocketed...

I doubt prices dropped, but how will we ever know, Back to the subject at hand, The NHS...

TheArmChairDetective Oct 3rd 2012 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10311695)
Back to the subject at hand, The NHS...

Indeed

chris955 Oct 3rd 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10311695)
Back to the subject at hand, The NHS...

Yes, we had another visit to the local hospital today for my son to have an xray and have some stitches removed, minimal wait and fantastic nurses. :thumbsup:

Pit Bull. Oct 3rd 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10311732)
Yes, we had another visit to the local hospital today for my son to have an xray and have some stitches removed, minimal wait and fantastic nurses. :thumbsup:

It's likely they weren't nurses mate, they have them dressed looking like nurses, but they have trained up a lot of auxiliary staff to do jobs like this, they are called care assistants, they also take blood, put canullars in, do ESGs etc, it's saved millions for the hospitals, but it means there's far less front line nurses.

dunroving Oct 3rd 2012 5:30 pm

Interesting newspiece recently on the overprescription of benzos and sleeping pills:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle3554280.ece

- In the US, this can be explained by backhanders from the drug companies, but in the NHS, I wonder whether it is just a simpler way to get the patient in and out within the allocated 10 minutes per patient visit?

Although you can't really question the accuracy of the statistics on number of prescriptions, I haven't see any systematic evidence supporting the widespread addiction and serious side effects described here.

Makes good newsprint, I suppose.

- Sorry, just realised you need a subscription to the Times in order to read the full article. Much as I am reluctant to post anything from the Daily Wail, they also published an article on the subject, as did the Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...cted-to-valium

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...phie%2BBorland

Grayling Oct 3rd 2012 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10311739)
they are called care assistants, they also take blood, put canullars in, do ESGs etc.

Well as I was lecturer in Nursing I would like you to provide some evidence of this

Pit Bull. Oct 3rd 2012 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10311998)
Well as I was lecturer in Nursing I would like you to provide some evidence of this

My wife's a senior nurse, she told me, she says it's just a recent happening over the last two or three years, when did you stop lecturing?

I'm not saying every hospital is like this, or every area, but there has been a huge shift in this direction, so the wife says.

TheArmChairDetective Oct 3rd 2012 9:51 pm

That's grand, my sister is an auxiliary nurse on the "bank" and before she graduated my wife was a care assistant. I suppose the only evidence that can be produced is to walk down a ward and see who is doing what.

chris955 Oct 4th 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10311739)
It's likely they weren't nurses mate, they have them dressed looking like nurses, but they have trained up a lot of auxiliary staff to do jobs like this, they are called care assistants, they also take blood, put canullars in, do ESGs etc, it's saved millions for the hospitals, but it means there's far less front line nurses.

:) They were nurses, they have auxilliaries there but there wear a different uniform and seemed to be just directing people around and generally helping. The doctor said he will get a nurse to remove the stitches and we got a nurse :thumbsup:
I have no real issue with trained auxiliaries doing basic stuff to be honest, much of it isnt rocket surgery :D

TheArmChairDetective Oct 4th 2012 8:27 am

Interestingly enough, the NHS is all over the news in the UK this morning with a demand for nursing to go back to basics with things like re-introducing ward rounds. quoting examples like this

Maybe our nurses have to have such an in depth knowledge of the subject to pass all the required exams, that the basics get overlooked as suggested in today's news. Certainly they, like the rest of us, have to work under today's "Do more with less" culture

Who knows, I just get confused by all the different coloured uniforms so I just call them all nurse :D

Grayling Oct 4th 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 10312724)
Interestingly enough, the NHS is all over the news in the UK this morning with a demand for nursing to go back to basics with things like re-introducing ward rounds. quoting examples like this

Maybe our nurses have to have such an in depth knowledge of the subject to pass all the required exams, that the basics get overlooked as suggested in today's news. Certainly they, like the rest of us, have to work under today's "Do more with less" culture

Who knows, I just get confused by all the different coloured uniforms so I just call them all nurse :D

I am not sure what point you are trying to make?:confused:

The system is exactly the same here in Australia or in the US or any other western country.....why is this peculiar to the NHS?:confused:

chris955 Oct 4th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10312761)
I am not sure what point you are trying to make?:confused:

The system is exactly the same here in Australia or in the US or any other western country.....why is this peculiar to the NHS?:confused:

Exactly, very confusing.

Grayling Oct 4th 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10312764)
Exactly, very confusing.

...and somewhat desperate