The Real NHS

Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Interesting article. Anyone in the UK see the programme:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ss-to-NHS.html
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was also on the national news quite recently.
People not paying into the system but taking advantage of it is probably the biggest danger to the NHS.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Australia does....it also has a piss poor private sector which most people will happily avoid, if they can, despite having health insurance to avoid the income tax levy
Yet I know nurses who will say that Australia's health system is far superior and I have copies of the Wanted Down Under show to evidence that !!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:47 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
My wife's a senior nurse, she told me, she says it's just a recent happening over the last two or three years, when did you stop lecturing?

I'm not saying every hospital is like this, or every area, but there has been a huge shift in this direction, so the wife says.
I don't see anything wrong with care assistants as long as they can do the jobs they're trained to do, and don't do ones they aren't, just as I don't have problems with nurses doing jobs that used to be reserved for doctors.

In my local hospital they have different coloured uniforms for care assistants, for all the different types of staff. That should be universal.

Bev
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I posted a couple of posts in the "arranging a GP for my daughters" thread, as I thought it was particularly relevant there.

See here.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
In my local hospital they have different coloured uniforms for care assistants, for all the different types of staff. That should be universal.

Bev
Agreed, but I would like to see their job title on the back like the the emergency services people do, just so I don't have to bother working out the colour coded uniforms, which differ from hospital to hospital/NHS Trust to NHS Trust.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:48 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
and I have copies of the Wanted Down Under show to evidence that !!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I don't see anything wrong with care assistants as long as they can do the jobs they're trained to do, and don't do ones they aren't, just as I don't have problems with nurses doing jobs that used to be reserved for doctors.

Bev
Absolutely, I cant see it makes any difference as long as, like you say, they are trained to do it.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Since nursing became a "degree only" profession, I suppose it makes sense to create a new paramedic level to conduct routine procedures.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I posted a couple of posts in the "arranging a GP for my daughters" thread, as I thought it was particularly relevant there.

See here.
Thanks. Interesting comments. I'll look forward to watching it.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Since nursing became a "degree only" profession, I suppose it makes sense to create a new paramedic level to conduct routine procedures.
Slightly off topic. Since nursing has become a degree profession, as oppose to a minimum 4 '0' levels required in the 70's, one can assume that this is due to medical practises and techniques being more advanced, therefore requiring a higher standard of education.

At the same time however, the government frequently tells us that educational standards have improved and more and more children are going to university and leaving with degrees. If this is true why do so many NHS staff have to be recruited from abroad? Surely there would be enough degree qualified people to fill NHS vacancies.

Really an education question. Perhaps a new thread? The Real UK Education System.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic. Since nursing has become a degree profession, as oppose to a minimum 4 '0' levels required in the 70's, one can assume that this is due to medical practises and techniques being more advanced, therefore requiring a higher standard of education.

At the same time however, the government frequently tells us that educational standards have improved and more and more children are going to university and leaving with degrees. If this is true why do so many NHS staff have to be recruited from abroad? Surely there would be enough degree qualified people to fill NHS vacancies.

Really an education question. Perhaps a new thread? The Real UK Education System.
It's not that you have to have a degree to get a place to train as a nurse (as in your example of the 4 o levels requirement, it's that the training for nurses is now a degree course. The resulting degree is in nursing.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:32 pm
Ping-ponger

I'm not completely familiar with the Nursing and Midwifery Council's reasons for turning nursing into a degree-only profession, but I see an analogy with what happened with teaching in the late 70s. It switched from a "Cert Ed" programme to a "BEd" - subsequently, I think a lot of talented people ended up not entering the profession, and a lot of "intelligent" people entering the classroom without the personality or skills to win over children.

I qualified with a BEd years back and remember very little of the training involving real-life, hands-on education in classroom management. My first teaching practice (called a placement these days, I think) was a bit of a shock, to say the least.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:34 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Yet I know nurses who will say that Australia's health system is far superior and I have copies of the Wanted Down Under show to evidence that !!

My wife's cousins are nurses in Australia, they left the NHS due to increased workload, no pay rises, low morale and not being able to give patients proper care. She also is in contact with some nurses that we met up with when she was in Perth and they all say the conditions are better there than the UK. They also said there was more nurses, not a lot more, but enough to feel the difference, the wife is convinced it will be better there work wise. Is there any nurses on here who know first hand?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

... People not paying into the system but taking advantage of it is probably the biggest danger to the NHS.
It is an NHS philosophy that it is substantially free at the point of service and is not means tested.
Unlike the "Penny in the pound" schemes that preceded the NHS.

As has been pointed out at length, the issues are not contribution record, nor nationality, nor citizenship. The issue is (ordinary) residence. Either one is a legal resident or one is not. Irrespective of nationality this can be from day one of presence in the country, but only if (1) there is a bona fide intention to remain resident and (2) there is a right to be a resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.