Rabies Innoculations?

Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rabies Innoculations?

I have tried a search, but no luck, hence the post. We are in the process of returning home with a few critters but I am really unclear on one aspect, and I'm getting conflicting advise from Defra and CFIA (we're in Canada). I'm consequently hoping someone has some personal experience they can share with me.
So my dilemma is that having had the animals duly processed as per Defra guidelines, ie microchip, vaccination, and blood titre levels, the animals are coming up to a year post their initial rabies innoculation. The vaccination used was a 3 year vaccine. My vet has continued to refer to a 'booster' vaccination in order to validate the vaccination of those animals for which it was their first innoculations. My understanding was that as long as the titre levels were O.K. and that it was a 3 year vaccine then my critters would be good to return to the U.K. so long as I did not go a day over the 3 year vaccine date. When I contacted DEFRA they suggested that I was correct. However having contacted the vet at CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency), he advised that if an animal had not been vaccinated before then indeed the first vaccination is considered a primary innoculation that needs to be followed up with a booster. This does apply to some of my animals.
He also suggested that in his experience that although the initial vaccine is a 3 year vaccine, he has been aware of some people experiencing problems upon returning home, if they have not followed through with another innoculation post the primary.
I am loathe just to re-vaccinate, especially as it was a 3 year vaccination, but equally I can't afford to experience any problems upon re-entry. I guess the easiest thing would be to re-vaccinate them all again, although that does not sit that pretty with me.
Has anybody experienced any problems with their pet upon return to the U.K. having gone past the initial 'primary' vaccination date, (using a 3 year vaccine) and a satisfactory titre level post that vaccine. Any input greatly received
I forgot to add, does anyone know for sure if wooden pet containers are still O.K. to use? Has anyone used wooden containers to fly their animals home, and if so what airline did they use?
Thankyou so much in advance.

Last edited by Sunshine Girl; Sep 7th 2009 at 4:23 am. Reason: To add on info re wooden crates.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies Innoculations?

Our vet recently advised us that even though one of our dogs initially had the 3-year vaccine, we should keep giving him annual boosters - they have handled quite a few returnees to the UK and this is the (fairly recent) advice they have been following.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure where they got the information from.

That's not much help really, is it?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:48 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
I forgot to add, does anyone know for sure if wooden pet containers are still O.K. to use? Has anyone used wooden containers to fly their animals home, and if so what airline did they use?
Don't know about the other bit, but we flew our cats out of Heathrow to SFO in wooden crates last April 08, through BA World Cargo. I wouldnt epexct there to be much diference in the rules between exiting and entering the uk!?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Is this of any help.
http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/planning/pets.htm
It has a lot of links to regulations along with a timeline
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou so much everyone for the replies. As I see it the booster vaccination is the repeat vaccine which is given before the expiry date of the initial rabies vaccination. So 3 years then if the vaccine is 3 years, but our vet is indicating as is the CIFA vet that the primary vaccination, ie if it is a first innoculation needs to be followed up with a 'booster' after a year, and that a DEFRA vet may see it the same way (may being the operative word here) I was hoping someone had been in a similar predicament.

I've now got the 3 cats booked into the vets tomorrow as their initial vaccination expires within the next week, and I guess it makes sense despite my concerns re repeating vaccinations, and I'll press the vet further.
I'd still like to clarify it however, as I've got the 10 dogs, and if I can overt repeat vaccinations, I might be able to buy me a pair of shoes
Appreciate any and all info, and if I can clarify further I will repost, as it might help someone else
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

My dogs went back to the UK last month and they had their rabies vaccination 2.5 years ago. The paperwork was all carefully checked and they were let through no problem.

Remember that the people who set the rules for entry in the UK are Defra. It's what they say that counts. Other agencies can give differing recommendations but the reality it that what they are saying is irrelevant.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
I wouldnt epexct there to be much diference in the rules between exiting and entering the uk!?
They are hugely different. Leaving a rabies free country does not excite many other border agencies.

Entering a rabies-free country from some other place in the world keeps Defra very excited !
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:24 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
They are hugely different. Leaving a rabies free country does not excite many other border agencies.

Entering a rabies-free country from some other place in the world keeps Defra very excited !
Oh yes, I figured as much regarding Rabies, but I was refering to the wooden boxes.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Oh yes, I figured as much regarding Rabies, but I was refering to the wooden boxes.
Oh !
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:13 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

I think you should be fine. My dog was given the 3 year rabies last year, although it wasn't his first rabies vaccine, his titer level was drawn this year which was fine, and he will be ready to go in January. When I telephoned DEFRA regarding the 3 year vaccine they said it was absolutely fine, it was the titer level which was important. I also faxed all his documentation to date to Cunard for their approval, and they have no problem with it.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

lins dunbar is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, just to warn everyone. I THOUGHT that our animals rabies shots lasted three years and was going on that. I then looked at the passport and it said two years, so now I have to start again.. Get the shots, then (and this is a question for all - wait 3 or 4 weeks)? then get the titre done (400$ each) and then wait six months from there to return with the dog and cats to the UK)
A salutary lesson I guess on keeping everything up to date. Also I called our
UK vet who said "Oh yes you must have had the two year and not the 3 year rabies vaccination we changed it" and when you look on their web site it still says 2 years!!!
We also have kept those wooden crates and hope they are still useable.