Quick tax questions

Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick tax questions

Having recently moved back to the UK from the US, I'm going to be living with a foot in both countries for a year.
Which form must be filed with the IRS to prevent the UK collecting taxes on my US retirement income?
How long must I stay in the UK yearly to be considered a resident?
Thank you.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick tax questions

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Having recently moved back to the UK.......
How long must I stay in the UK yearly to be considered a resident?
Thank you.
The short answer:
https://home.kpmg.com/content/dam/kp...-flowchart.pdf

The long, more detailed answer:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...nal_078500.pdf

In other words, it depends on your individual circumstances.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK is 181 days a year.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
The UK is 181 days a year.
I think you mean 183 days. See the post immediately above yours.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I meant to type 183.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Having recently moved back to the UK from the US, I'm going to be living with a foot in both countries for a year.
Which form must be filed with the IRS to prevent the UK collecting taxes on my US retirement income?
There is no form that I am aware of that you file with the IRS to stop HMRC collecting taxes on your US retirement income. HMRC has no means to collect payments on a US retirement account, you must declare payments or distributions from a US retirement account on a self assessment and then pay any taxes due to HMRC. (This is assuming that you are UK resident. Note also that distributions from a US retirement account are not always HMRC taxable, for example Roth retirement account distributions are tax free in both countries.)