Reload this Page >

Questions/Experiences Bank Acc/Rentals

Questions/Experiences Bank Acc/Rentals

Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions/Experiences Bank Acc/Rentals

Hello,

My top two concerns are the whole Bank Account, Credit Checks, Renting. I have emailed real estate agents and they all reply with you need a Bank Account, Proof of Income, References etc and so on, despite me reading that other people have paid months in advance (happy and able to do) how on earth do we get around this? It is starting to stress me out. I am also aware of the Bank process, open the day we arrive, but will need to go in with Proof of address? etc. So how or what exactly do we do as it seems to be a circle of can't rent with no account, can't get an account with no address?

Surely there is a way? For someone who yes has been away a while to be able to get somewhere to live? In ideal world we could stay with friends or family, but that's not an option sadly as they have no room for 4 of us.

Any tips/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions/Experiences Bank Acc/Rentals

Many folks have rented holiday places for a few months, and then rented the more usual accommodation once they have arrived, looked around, opened up their bank account etc.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had the same problems trying to rent through an agent. One of the agents told us to try going private as its not as strict, which we did and ending up renting private with paying 6 months rent up frontt. We found a rental through gumtree.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honey246
We had the same problems trying to rent through an agent. One of the agents told us to try going private as its not as strict, which we did and ending up renting private with paying 6 months rent up frontt. We found a rental through gumtree.
Gumtree can be good and it's obviously worked out well for you, which is great. This is just for others who might be looking to do the same.

Be very careful about renting properties outside the more usual channels such as estate agents. There have been instances where people who were renting a place themselves, but due to move out, putting the property on Gumtree as a soon to be vacant rental. They collect the deposit and rent money, and scarper. It would be terrible to lose any money this way, but especially 6 months of rent.

You're just as entitled to seek proof of identification as a renter as a landlord is. Ask the person for a copy of their passport and a reference from a person of some standing in the local community, who you can actually contact. It's not foolproof but it does tend to weed out most shysters.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishbitz
Hello,

My top two concerns are the whole Bank Account, Credit Checks, Renting. I have emailed real estate agents and they all reply with you need a Bank Account, Proof of Income, References etc and so on, despite me reading that other people have paid months in advance (happy and able to do) how on earth do we get around this? It is starting to stress me out. I am also aware of the Bank process, open the day we arrive, but will need to go in with Proof of address? etc. So how or what exactly do we do as it seems to be a circle of can't rent with no account, can't get an account with no address?

Surely there is a way? For someone who yes has been away a while to be able to get somewhere to live? In ideal world we could stay with friends or family, but that's not an option sadly as they have no room for 4 of us.

Any tips/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Some estate agents are more 'new arrivals friendly' than others. You can't do anything about a rental until you're in the country, so try to relax a bit about that. I agree with SanDiegogirl's suggestion of renting a short-term place for 3 months or so. You can do this online from where you're living now. Airbnb is a site often mentioned, but there are others if you Google 'holiday accommodation' in the area you're looking to live in longer term.

That takes the pressure off you a bit, you'll have the opportunity to call into estate agent offices and talk with them face to face. Same with banks, go into branches and speak with them. They want your business so will try to accommodate you within their rules. As long as one of you has a British passport for ID, they may let you use the holiday accommodation address to open the account, you can change it with them when you move into your rental. Or they may let you use the address of a family member in the UK until you're in longer term accommodation - my husband did this when he opened an account with Halifax while we were on holiday there (this was prior to us moving over to live). Just be upfront with them, most big banks are familiar with the issues new arrivals have. If the first one you visit refuses to open an account for you, take your business to the next one.

Honestly, it'll all fall into place. A bit of leg work and you'll be sorted.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Many folks have rented holiday places for a few months, and then rented the more usual accommodation once they have arrived, looked around, opened up their bank account etc.
Yes will be doing that initially, should have said.

Originally Posted by Honey246
Will keep that in mind, am wary though as someone else mentioned risk of being scammed, happens in Australia too :/

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Gumtree can be good and it's obviously worked out well for you, which is great. This is just for others who might be looking to do the same.

Be very careful about renting properties outside the more usual channels such as estate agents. There have been instances where people who were renting a place themselves, but due to move out, putting the property on Gumtree as a soon to be vacant rental. They collect the deposit and rent money, and scarper. It would be terrible to lose any money this way, but especially 6 months of rent.

You're just as entitled to seek proof of identification as a renter as a landlord is. Ask the person for a copy of their passport and a reference from a person of some standing in the local community, who you can actually contact. It's not foolproof but it does tend to weed out most shysters.
Sound advice, cheers!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Some estate agents are more 'new arrivals friendly' than others. You can't do anything about a rental until you're in the country, so try to relax a bit about that. I agree with SanDiegogirl's suggestion of renting a short-term place for 3 months or so. You can do this online from where you're living now. Airbnb is a site often mentioned, but there are others if you Google 'holiday accommodation' in the area you're looking to live in longer term.

That takes the pressure off you a bit, you'll have the opportunity to call into estate agent offices and talk with them face to face. Same with banks, go into branches and speak with them. They want your business so will try to accommodate you within their rules. As long as one of you has a British passport for ID, they may let you use the holiday accommodation address to open the account, you can change it with them when you move into your rental. Or they may let you use the address of a family member in the UK until you're in longer term accommodation - my husband did this when he opened an account with Halifax while we were on holiday there (this was prior to us moving over to live). Just be upfront with them, most big banks are familiar with the issues new arrivals have. If the first one you visit refuses to open an account for you, take your business to the next one.

Honestly, it'll all fall into place. A bit of leg work and you'll be sorted.
Thanks yep I know can't do diddly squat while in Australia, besides I wouldn't want to rent blind anyway. Yes you're right about Banks etc too, I'm probably just starting to over think everything the closer it gets. Must tell brain to shut up. We are all British Citizens by the way so there is that at least. LOL!
Old Dec 6th 2019, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Speaking of Banks any recommendations, ones to avoid?