Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Questions about Scottish Borders

Questions about Scottish Borders

Old Oct 16th 2016, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Question Questions about Scottish Borders

I've been looking online at rentals in Scottish Borders and there are a lot of beautiful properties that are so reasonably priced I can hardly believe it.

Is that area out in the middle of nowhere, very isolated with limited shopping, vet services, healthcare, etc. and basically nothing to do for entertainment?

It looks so beautiful, but there must be a reason for the low prices.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 6:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Scottish Borders

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
I've been looking online at rentals in Scottish Borders and there are a lot of beautiful properties that are so reasonably priced I can hardly believe it.

Is that area out in the middle of nowhere, very isolated with limited shopping, vet services, healthcare, etc. and basically nothing to do for entertainment?

Here you go. Information on everything, geography, history, politics, arts and entertainment, health care, property, jobs, environment and much more.

Every town/village within the Borders is described in detail, with all the above information and more for each one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Borders
Borders.co.uk - A Big Shoutout for the Scottish Borders
Old Oct 16th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Here you go. Information on everything, geography, history, politics, arts and entertainment, health care, property, jobs, environment and much more.

Every town/village within the Borders is described in detail, with all the above information and more for each one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Borders
Wow! Thank you!
Old Oct 17th 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at jobs in that area?
Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
Have you looked at jobs in that area?
No, I haven't. I'm self-employed.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find some useful information about the Scottish borders in this previous thread where somebody asked a very similar question just a few months ago.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2016 at 7:42 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you'll find some useful information about the Scottish borders in this previous thread where somebody asked a very similar question just a few months ago.
Oh....that was me, wasn't it ?
Old Oct 19th 2016, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Well, maybe more people might have opinions and info to share...
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not totally certain what you are asking, but, I will offer what I can.

I am not in the borders, as we live 85 miles north of the border, but in similar environment.

The area has many small towns which will have all the services you need to live such as shops, vets, doctors and things.

Yes, housing is very cheap, however, the reason for that in the borders is that you are a long way to a major city and therefore jobs can be hard to get. Hence why I asked about it earlier.

It is very nice living though. We live in a small village of about 40 houses with the only facility a village hall, but that does a lot for the little community including a cinema once a month, a village quiz and other bits. Two miles away we have a small town - Strathaven - which is lovely and has everything we need such as a vets, doctors, library, a good selection of little independent shops and two pubs and a couple of restaurants.

It is a very nice lifestyle and housing is very affordable. The down sides are that public transport can be poor - our village has none. I have to commute to Glasgow for work. Though, for me it's not too far and once the motorway work is finished in March, it will only be 30 minutes.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In the Borders and in Galloway cost of living can be high and wages low. Nice places to live but not if you are poor !
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby

The Scottish Borders is a really big place. Which areas are you looking into? Lots of places don't have gas so you would have to use oil. Areas can be patchy also if you're relying upon mobile signal/broadband.

It is stunningly beautiful however, really beautiful and yes there are some cracking very affordable houses. The reason for the low prices (not sure what you're comparing it to however) is that it's not Edinburgh. Some areas in the Borders are commutable however. Some towns/villages are gorgeous, some are not. Some have pubs/shops etc.., some don't. There are some very expensive houses in some areas of the Borders also however - just totally depends on where you're looking.