questions about the N.I

Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:45 am
Just Joined

mr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant future
Question questions about the N.I

Hi all i'm hoping you all can help me.

I aquired citizenship through a parent who is now deceased. I've never lived in the U.K but I'm planning on moving sometime VERY soon. I've done some research and know i need the N.I in order to get a job. Now the tough part. question 1. How do i go about applying for the N.I? question 2. Can i apply for the N.I before i arrive? question 3. On my last visit to the U.K i remember visiting the dentist a few times, is it possible that i already have a N.I?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions about the N.I

Originally Posted by mr767

I aquired citizenship through a parent who is now deceased. I've never lived in the U.K but I'm planning on moving sometime VERY soon. I've done some research and know i need the N.I in order to get a job. Now the tough part. question 1. How do i go about applying for the N.I? question 2. Can i apply for the N.I before i arrive? question 3. On my last visit to the U.K i remember visiting the dentist a few times, is it possible that i already have a N.I?
Hello and welcome to BE.

I think you are confusing the National Insurance number with the National Health Service number.

Here is the link for National Insurance numbers.

Here is the link for the NHS.

Google is a wonderful resource.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:57 am
Just Joined

NIGELINOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mr767,
Go to :-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10014073
for information about getting an N.I number,you can't get one before you arrive as you have to attend an interview to establish your identity first,the appointments are arranged by Jobcentre Plus and you may have to wait a week or so before you can get an appointment,the interview takes about half an hour and you have to take your passport and other identification with you.
You would only have a N.I number if you were in the UK on your 16th birthday.
You may have been issued with an NHS number (it's different) when you visited the dentist but you would have a card with that number on it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:04 am
Just Joined

mr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant futuremr767 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

I think you are confusing the National Insurance number with the National Health Service number.

Here is the link for National Insurance numbers.

Here is the link for the NHS.

Google is a wonderful resource.
Thanks.. i'm not worried bout the NHS as yet just the N.I so that i can find a job
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.. i'm not worried bout the NHS as yet just the N.I so that i can find a job
You don't need an NI number to work if you have a British citizen passport.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NIGELINOZ
Hi mr767,
Go to :-
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10014073
for information about getting an N.I number,you can't get one before you arrive as you have to attend an interview to establish your identity first,the appointments are arranged by Jobcentre Plus and you may have to wait a week or so before you can get an appointment,the interview takes about half an hour and you have to take your passport and other identification with you.
You would only have a N.I number if you were in the UK on your 16th birthday.
You may have been issued with an NHS number (it's different) when you visited the dentist but you would have a card with that number on it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Thanks yes it does. Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
i do have the passport. so i won't need a N.I?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Shandyclover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
JAJ, I came back to UK in 2000, I was born in UK and lived there till I was 13. I was told I could not work until I had my NI number, even though I have a British passport and birth certificate. I had to wait 2 months for my NI to arrive - until then I was living off meager savings and reliant upon the goodwill of friends. Was I misinformed?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shandyclover
JAJ, I came back to UK in 2000, I was born in UK and lived there till I was 13. I was told I could not work until I had my NI number, even though I have a British passport and birth certificate. I had to wait 2 months for my NI to arrive - until then I was living off meager savings and reliant upon the goodwill of friends. Was I misinformed?
Yes, it looks like it.

See: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...mId=1073791948
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's the theory.

In practice, few if any employers will even interview candidates who do not have a valid NI number.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Elvira
That's the theory.

In practice, few if any employers will even interview candidates who do not have a valid NI number.
I have never heard of an employer demanding an NI number at that stage of the process and it would probably be illegal to do so.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

you can apply for an NI number and will be sent this through the post so you can start working....the card can take upto a year or so to get it in your hand, but honestly it has no real use....When you start working, some companies ask for it on the application form and some dont, agencies do as they need to make sure you can work here legally, as there is a real big issue with illegal immigrants and people who have outstayed there welcome...
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:20 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That's the theory.

this is very true..I've signed up with a few agencies and the first thing they requested from me was a copy of my passport and my NI number..and would not put me forward for any interviews untill they had copies of them.

Even interviews that I had got by myself (no agency involved) they all wanted to see my passport and NI card/number...to prove I could work in the UK.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisag8070
this is very true..I've signed up with a few agencies and the first thing they requested from me was a copy of my passport and my NI number..and would not put me forward for any interviews untill they had copies of them.

Even interviews that I had got by myself (no agency involved) they all wanted to see my passport and NI card/number...to prove I could work in the UK.

Thats right because if they do not do these simple checks and end up employing someone who has no legal status to work in the UK and they get raided by customs they are liable to a £10,000 fine...every company is clamping down and a copy of passport / NI number is required by each agency before putting anyone across for a job OR you are asked for these details before being offered a job....
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070

Same happened to my son as well. I also remember reading of the experiences of new residents on uk-yankee who found it impossible to get an interview until they had a NI number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.