Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about tax when returning to the UK

Question about tax when returning to the UK

Old Apr 25th 2023, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Patienceisavirtue is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question about tax when returning to the UK

Hi, I hope someone can clear something up for me! When returning back to reside in the UK, I understand that if I spend 183 days back in UK inside the tax year (April 6 2023 to April 5 2024) then I'll be liable for tax (self-employed self-assessment). But at which point will you pay tax? Does it start on the day you return to the UK? If so, how do you prove your return date. Or will it mean paying tax on income inside the entire tax year even if I was not resident for several months? Any help will be much appreciated.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Question about tax when returning to the UK

It's ok, no need to answer! I've found out the info but will leave this here in case anyone else finds it useful. So basically my understanding is I will qualify for a split tax year and will pay taxes starting from when I either get a rental contract or purchase a house after arriving in UK.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mind saying where you got that information?
It doesn't sound entirely plausible to me. It would mean, for example, that a person didn't count as tax resident in the UK if they were present in the country but simply staying with a relative or in an Airbnb.
Surely when it comes to determining the date from which you're liable to tax in the UK, what matters to HMRC is dates of entry into the country, number of days spent in the country in any given tax year, number of ties with the country. I understood it was a pretty complicated calculation and not simply a question of whether you spend 183 days in the UK in any given tax year.

Old Apr 25th 2023, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Yes it is very complex and everyone should seek full professional advice. But this issue relates to which point is classified as taxable for self-employed assessment once entering the country to become a tax resident half way through the tax year. Being a tax resident is not the issue. Tax residency is established. The issue is the starting point for paying tax. And apparently it isn't necessarily the entry date. There is something called 'split year treatment under the only home test'. The info came from an accountant. It also seems the start date for tax status is complicated by the amount of work done in the country and also sufficient UK ties. I suggest reading more about it or seeking advice if it might relate to you.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patienceisavirtue
Yes it is very complex and everyone should seek full professional advice. But this issue relates to which point is classified as taxable for self-employed assessment once entering the country to become a tax resident half way through the tax year. Being a tax resident is not the issue. Tax residency is established. The issue is the starting point for paying tax. And apparently it isn't necessarily the entry date. There is something called 'split year treatment under the only home test'. The info came from an accountant. It also seems the start date for tax status is complicated by the amount of work done in the country and also sufficient UK ties. I suggest reading more about it or seeking advice if it might relate to you.
Thanks for the clarification, and if you have a qualified accountant dealing with your taxes then you are all set.

When my wife and I returned from the USA then we were resident for tax purposes the day we landed, and we also filed a split year return when we came to file our self-assessment HMRC tax returns the following year, the bulk of our income coming from US pensions. We made sure to take our discretionary income from investment and retirement accounts in the weeks prior to the date we landed.
Old Apr 28th 2023, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patienceisavirtue
Please let us know how the process of applying for split-year treatment goes.
Best of luck with everything.