Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Queries about returning to work in the UK

Queries about returning to work in the UK

Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Queries about returning to work in the UK

Hey all,

I just had a few queries in regards to working back in the Uk once you have been working abroad for a while. I am a current PR in Canada and and a british citizen. I have not worked in the UK since December 2008.

-When you move abroad does your national insurance automatically stay active? Do you have to anything?

- I also am quite unsure about the tax stuff. When i left, i only notified the student loans company. I was not sure if the tax form was relevant for me as i am not making any income in the UK and have no assets etc..So i have not filled out any tax forms. So will i be affected or penalized tax wise in anyway if i take up employment again in the UK?

I have been paying income tax in Canada so was not sure if this would affect anything on my return.

Would be grateful for an advice on this.

Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Queries about returning to work in the UK

If you were PAYE you should just start again where you left off (sort of). See if you can dig out your last P45.
Your NI contributions will have a gap that you can make up. Contact them in Newcastle to see how much it is to buy those missed years.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
If you were PAYE you should just start again where you left off (sort of). See if you can dig out your last P45.
Your NI contributions will have a gap that you can make up. Contact them in Newcastle to see how much it is to buy those missed years.
Would there be an advantage in paying to make up the missing years - in this case it is about two years, and you now need only 30 years to qualify for a full pension (so the OP will probably eventually achieve 30 years of contributions if she stays in the UK & works?)
Old Aug 28th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Was only saying she can. Not suggesting she should.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

adza is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in a similer situation. Ive been living in Malaysia/Thailand for just under 3 years and heading home in the next week. Have no Savings due to alot of bad luck this year, no job to return to and im gonna need some kind of help when im back. I was in employment from the age of 16-21 paying full whack national insurance and tax on a good salary back then. Howver, not contributed anything since leaving and have got the feeling im gonna get screwed over on return. First place im going is the job centre but chances are not gonna land something straight away. Ive signed on before but was only on it 2 weeks before working again.

Will i lose entitlements because ive been away?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

They make you sign on for Jobseekers but won't pay anything for a few weeks (can't remember how many, 10 maybe?) anyway you can also sign with some agencies and find work, temp or permanent.
You can always go here and put in your town and the word jobs and look at whats out there.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:28 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

This was our experience (I'm posting my husband's experience, he's the UKC):

He had worked/paid in tax for years in UK, then we moved to US for 6 years. We just moved back here 2 months ago.

We went to Job Centre. Went through interview, etc. Of course, they don't tell you anything there just told us that, if approved, the first so many weeks (I can't remember) benefit amount would be CONTRIBUTION based; thereafter, it would be INCOME based.

Within a couple of weeks he received a letter saying that he was DISQUALIFIED for benefits because he did not prove that he was going to be settling here permanently.

He knew this was incorrect because at the initial interview he told them all his information: left job in states voluntarily to move back to UK; sold house, car, etc., in states to move back to UK; recently bought/registered car in UK; had proof of [ongoing] UK bank account; etc. etc. etc.

He made a couple of phone calls and to make a long story short, was eventually approved for benefit.

Just sharing this info as a heads up: you need to make sure that you can prove that you are indeed back here for the long term.

Hope this info helps.