Quandry

Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:46 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quandry

Hi,

I am in a little bit of a sticky situation. I moved to Oz because my wife wanted to live abroad and I moved with her. I had been on holiday to Oz before and thought it was nice but not really somewhere I wanted to live. Anyway my wife was offered a job and we decided to give it a try.

We have now been here nearly 18 months and I was very homesick for the first year and wanted to go home. I have now settled in more and the homesickness has gone, although I still want to move back home because I prefer living in the UK, miss culture, things to do etc. I just feel that my lifestyle is more suited to uk/ europe.

The problem now is that my wife has started a new job and really dislikes it. She has now become very homesickness and wants to leave ASAP. To compound matters our family want to visit early in 2009 but to be honest I am not sure if we want to stay that long. We also shipped our cat over here which i was dead against as I knew that I would want to leave after 2 years max but wife insisted we do it.

Not really sure where I am going with this post! but just thought I would get it off my chest as it's difficult to tell family as they will worry.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice
Default Re: Quandry

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Hi,

I am in a little bit of a sticky situation. I moved to Oz because my wife wanted to live abroad and I moved with her. I had been on holiday to Oz before and thought it was nice but not really somewhere I wanted to live. Anyway my wife was offered a job and we decided to give it a try.

We have now been here nearly 18 months and I was very homesick for the first year and wanted to go home. I have now settled in more and the homesickness has gone, although I still want to move back home because I prefer living in the UK, miss culture, things to do etc. I just feel that my lifestyle is more suited to uk/ europe.

The problem now is that my wife has started a new job and really dislikes it. She has now become very homesickness and wants to leave ASAP. To compound matters our family want to visit early in 2009 but to be honest I am not sure if we want to stay that long. We also shipped our cat over here which i was dead against as I knew that I would want to leave after 2 years max but wife insisted we do it.

Not really sure where I am going with this post! but just thought I would get it off my chest as it's difficult to tell family as they will worry.
Hi Notts, I am sure that as much as your family will be worried they will equally be happy to have you all back home again, so it's probably better to be as open with them now so that they can support you with the move back home, plus they will also need to know so as they don't go ahead and book flights for the new year.
I know It will be costly but if you can afford to I think you should take the cat with you too. Homesickness strikes at anytime and it sometimes takes small things to bring it on home to you. I suppose you've already thought this through but maybe if your wife changes her job she might feel differently, but if your both absolutely sure it's what you want then go for it.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:31 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Ah the rambling is normal, don't worry.

Tell your family they will have to holiday in Australia another time and start to put plans in action to return if you think that will make you both happier.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Just need to sort out what to do.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:52 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody hell mate, you're one of the lucky ones where both of you want the same thing!!!! Some of us have had a bit of a battle to get out of here

Stuff the rellies. They'll have to go somewhere else. Get your backside back home before the wife changes her mind!! Good luck
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

If you both want to leave then concentrate on working out how you can achieve that rather than worrying about who's visiting next year. We moved back and hubby was against it - and I wish that we could have both been on the same 'side' for the decision to leave... if you are, then go with it! I LOVE being back in the UK and it really hasn't crumbled to pieces or disappeared down the toilet. It just carries on being home and that's plenty good enough!

Sarah
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Bloody hell mate, you're one of the lucky ones where both of you want the same thing!!!! Some of us have had a bit of a battle to get out of here

Stuff the rellies. They'll have to go somewhere else. Get your backside back home before the wife changes her mind!! Good luck
Couldnt agree more!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

If you both want to come home, its great. Tell your relatives asap. They will save themselves a lot of cash cos they won't have to visit!! they will thank you for it.

Set some plans in motion and things will start looking up soon. It will make things more bareable if you have something to look forward to.

Good luck
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about the rellies! If you're in a position to move back then do it, don't delay you'll only regret that. I'll echo what everyone else has said, it's great that you both want to move back, rarity indeed!!!