Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for UK State Pension

Qualifying for UK State Pension

Old May 23rd 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifying for UK State Pension

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband turns 65 in September this year. He was planning to defer his UK State pension for a couple of years, but we're not sure if this means he'll be subject to the new legislation once he starts receiving payments.

He only has 25 years working life in the UK, and by the time we found out about the ability to pay Class 2 'top ups' he had retired. Obviously 25/30 would be better than 25/35 - we've just about decided that he'll just commence his pension in September when he turns 65.
Spouse.
I had a long conversation with DWP a month or so, and they stated several times that in a case such as your husbands (and mine), it would be 25/30ths of the EXISTING pension. Then there is a formula by which they work out any further entitlement. The only people, who automatically enter into the new pension are those entering the workforce now.
I hope that, now that the Act has passed into law, they might be able to explain the second part more clearly. In my case , they were very plain that, although I have 35 (in truth 40, but they have lost 5) years contributions, my basic State pension will be paid in full, but the various top ups will not bring it up to the new pension level.

And they also said that there is nothing I can do about it, as I have already retired. Despite the fact that my retirement date was entirely picked on HMRC's advice.

I would call DWP, but when you do, make absolutely certain that you know whether you are talking to DWP, HMRC, or NHS. They all have different jobs, and different objectives in dealing with the situation.

So I THINK, (but may be wrong) that your husband will get 25 thirtieths of the old pension PLUS perhaps an additional amount.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That is my understanding too - deferring your state pension does not mean you would be covered by the new legislation.

The state pension you will receive (number of years needed to qualify, rate of pension) will be determined by whatever legislation pertains to your NORMAL state pension age.

If you defer, all it means is that you receive some proportionally higher pension when you eventually do retire.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

New state pension rules apply if you reach your pension age on/after 6th April 2016.

If you reach your state pension age before then, you will be on the old system.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Spouse.
I had a long conversation with DWP a month or so, and they stated several times that in a case such as your husbands (and mine), it would be 25/30ths of the EXISTING pension. Then there is a formula by which they work out any further entitlement. The only people, who automatically enter into the new pension are those entering the workforce now.
I hope that, now that the Act has passed into law, they might be able to explain the second part more clearly. In my case , they were very plain that, although I have 35 (in truth 40, but they have lost 5) years contributions, my basic State pension will be paid in full, but the various top ups will not bring it up to the new pension level.

And they also said that there is nothing I can do about it, as I have already retired. Despite the fact that my retirement date was entirely picked on HMRC's advice.

I would call DWP, but when you do, make absolutely certain that you know whether you are talking to DWP, HMRC, or NHS. They all have different jobs, and different objectives in dealing with the situation.

So I THINK, (but may be wrong) that your husband will get 25 thirtieths of the old pension PLUS perhaps an additional amount.
Thanks so much bigglesworth, really appreciate you telling me of your experiences and your advice Scouse and I were just having a chat about it all and he's amazed that there are forums like this, and people such as yourself, who are willing to help others like this. Mind you, I think Scouse is still a bit amazed at the internet, full stop (I'm a fair bit younger than him)

Dunroving and rebs, thank you both very much too
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband turns 65 in September this year. He was planning to defer his UK State pension for a couple of years, but we're not sure if this means he'll be subject to the new legislation once he starts receiving payments.

He only has 25 years working life in the UK, and by the time we found out about the ability to pay Class 2 'top ups' he had retired. Obviously 25/30 would be better than 25/35 - we've just about decided that he'll just commence his pension in September when he turns 65.
He is going to get the 'old pension', not the single tier. Only people reaching retirement age from 2016 onwards will get the single tier.

Deferring the pension makes a lot of sense for anyone getting the old pension, since you get a 10.4% uplift for every year deferred. For the single tier pension the uplift is going to be more than halved.

Your husband should enquire about making extra contributions if he can. The fact he has retired does not matter. He may be able to make some back payments.

Edit: Just to make it clear, for someone reaching retirement age before 2016, it won't make any difference if they defer to 2016, they will still get the old-style pension not the single tier.

Last edited by Editha; May 23rd 2014 at 3:21 pm. Reason: Clarity.
Old May 23rd 2014, 4:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
He is going to get the 'old pension', not the single tier. Only people reaching retirement age from 2016 onwards will get the single tier.

Deferring the pension makes a lot of sense for anyone getting the old pension, since you get a 10.4% uplift for every year deferred. For the single tier pension the uplift is going to be more than halved.

Your husband should enquire about making extra contributions if he can. The fact he has retired does not matter. He may be able to make some back payments.

Edit: Just to make it clear, for someone reaching retirement age before 2016, it won't make any difference if they defer to 2016, they will still get the old-style pension not the single tier.
Thanks for this info Editha, it does seem to make a lot of sense to defer now that I know the old rules will apply. I had heard that it was possible to pay extra contributions after retirement but thought the cost outweighed the benefit - I'll do some more reading on this! Cheers
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The DWP "lost" the NI contributions records of my employees including myself for 3 years from 2000.
I had asked for a pension estimate and noticed this gap.
I had the P60 records of NI contributions paid and although I was outwith the normal period for making back payments they accepted my figures and correct my contribution history because it was their error - and they knew it.
The error occurred when they changed computer systems and could be quite widespread. The DWP knew about missing records but they never notified anyone.
In addition to the basic state pension, there were 3 different types of second pension including SERPS. These were stopped around 10 years ago.
My state pension is currently £14k per annum because of having remained "contracted in" and my level of NI contributions.
I have 30/30 although much more than that.
If you have had higher levels of NI contributions then you may be entitled to say 25/30 of a higher figure.
You should ask for an online pension estimate.
In addition, although the basic pension is not transferrable to a spouse, the 2nd pension is transferrable on death although perhaps not 100%.
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by cyrian
The DWP "lost" the NI contributions records of my employees including myself for 3 years from 2000.
I had asked for a pension estimate and noticed this gap.
I had the P60 records of NI contributions paid and although I was outwith the normal period for making back payments they accepted my figures and correct my contribution history because it was their error - and they knew it.
The error occurred when they changed computer systems and could be quite widespread. The DWP knew about missing records but they never notified anyone.
In addition to the basic state pension, there were 3 different types of second pension including SERPS. These were stopped around 10 years ago.
My state pension is currently £14k per annum because of having remained "contracted in" and my level of NI contributions.
I have 30/30 although much more than that.
If you have had higher levels of NI contributions then you may be entitled to say 25/30 of a higher figure.
You should ask for an online pension estimate.
In addition, although the basic pension is not transferrable to a spouse, the 2nd pension is transferrable on death although perhaps not 100%.
Thanks cyrian - the 'lost' records are a bit of a worry, I wonder how many people keep their own contribution records? Lucky you did!

Scouse got his pension estimate last year, which looks right. He contracted out of - something, can't remember what it was called, but it means that he's not entitled to an additional amount. He actually received a letter about that not long after his move to Oz over 20 years ago, and somehow got the idea that it was mandatory. Forgot to read the small print, I think
Old May 31st 2014, 9:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to add to this thread - don't know if this is the latest version.

fact sheet with examples

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fact-sheet.pdf
Old May 31st 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, an observation to be filed under the waste-of-paper-and-postage-stamp category. I am paying contributions from here in the USA. There is a little box on the payment slip you can tick to have a receipt mailed to you to acknowledge your payment. I received that - and on the same day also received, in a separate envelope, my payment slip stamped "payment received"!