British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   QM2 booked....again! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/qm2-booked-again-845385/)

spouse of scouse Nov 12th 2014 2:25 am

Re: QM2 booked....again!

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11468397)
see its not that difficult is it the 'bucket list'

The train from Lime St to Euston, Eurostar train to Paris, overnight in Paris. The Orient Express Paris to Istanbul, overnight in Istanbul, then a flight from Istanbul to Perth. Couple of days in Perth visiting relatives & friends, then boarding the Queen something or Princess xxx at Perth to Southampton, total journey is approx (on the cheap) its doable for ~$40k+ per person. By the end of the 80 days around the world you'd need a holiday.....

Before one is a long time dead - the journey of a lifetime

Get thee behind me! :lol:

Dorothy Nov 12th 2014 2:27 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11468844)
Really?! I thought you mightn't be doing it any more because of some changes! Yay!! :starsmile:

My daughter has said she would happily stay in my house when I'm not home, so it's not a problem.

Perth Nov 12th 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11468317)
Pffft, he can mind his own business, just book it :lol:

Nice to think about anyway!

Might just have to do that :sneaky:;)

britwhore Nov 13th 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Brittwit (Post 11468814)
We too are returning to the UK on the same voyage. 35 years in the USA and heading home.
See you in the Golden Lion :)

Really? Very cool!!! Pub quiz in the Golden Lion!!

Brittwit Nov 13th 2014 12:52 am

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11469925)
Really? Very cool!!! Pub quiz in the Golden Lion!!

Yes, the wife and I will be testing out all the various drinks on the ship :beer:

As long as there are no questions about the UK on the quiz. I have no idea anymore !!!!

britwhore Nov 13th 2014 1:11 am

So why the move? If you don't mind me asking!!

We moved back after 15 years in the US. Pop culture references were lost on us but after a year in the UK we were able to fill in the gaps :) I'm looking forward to going back. The panic move back to the US (after 18 months in the UK) has only solidified the fact that we want to live in the UK.....which is a lovely feeling!!

Brittwit Nov 13th 2014 1:18 am

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11469949)
So why the move? If you don't mind me asking!!

We moved back after 15 years in the US. Pop culture references were lost on us but after a year in the UK we were able to fill in the gaps :) I'm looking forward to going back. The panic move back to the US (after 18 months in the UK) has only solidified the fact that we want to live in the UK.....which is a lovely feeling!!

We have visited every state in the USA and lived in 12 of them in the 35 years, I guess the short answer is that we have seen all there is to see and now that we have seen it all, we realize we really aren't happy here.

Realizing that the UK has changed much since those bygone days it really will be like visiting a new country for us.

britwhore Nov 18th 2014 4:04 pm

Well sadly it will be 3 dogs :( Had to say goodbye to our little girl this weekend. Heartbroken :(

Englishmum Nov 18th 2014 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11476418)
Well sadly it will be 3 dogs :( Had to say goodbye to our little girl this weekend. Heartbroken :(

Oh - I'm so sorry to hear that. :(:broken_heart: Sending you a big ((((HUG))))

Would you like to tell us something about your dearly departed girl?

lf1 Nov 18th 2014 5:09 pm

Sorry to hear your news. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved dog. Take care.

Pombat Nov 18th 2014 8:07 pm

So sorry. Sending cyber hugs.

Perth Nov 18th 2014 11:33 pm

So very sorry to hear this :(

britwhore Nov 19th 2014 1:24 am

Thanks everyone. She was a sweetheart and will be missed.

unique_boy Nov 20th 2014 9:10 pm

Aww that is terrible! Sorry to hear.

britwhore Dec 20th 2014 11:38 pm

Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!

We should find out in the New Year if we are going to wait until November for the QM2 or just fly back with the puppies earlier in the year (April?) Should be an interesting year either way!!! :)

Perth Dec 21st 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11508955)
Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!

We should find out in the New Year if we are going to wait until November for the QM2 or just fly back with the puppies earlier in the year (April?) Should be an interesting year either way!!! :)

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Still trying to decide whether I should even bring up the subject of sailing with the OH :lol:

Mallory Dec 21st 2014 2:53 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 11508973)
Merry Christmas to you and your family! Still trying to decide whether I should even bring up the subject of sailing with the OH :lol:

My hubby would go batty on a crossing that lasted 7 days. I wouln't know what to do with him! Better not tell OH until tickets are bought. ;)

rebs Dec 21st 2014 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11509012)
My hubby would go batty on a crossing that lasted 7 days.

Why?

sallysimmons Dec 22nd 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11509012)
My hubby would go batty on a crossing that lasted 7 days. I wouln't know what to do with him! Better not tell OH until tickets are bought. ;)

I would go nuts. I always have to be doing something and just lounging around would kill me.

Britwhore, I'm so glad you're coming back. I know it's the right decision :) Very sorry to hear about your lovely dog though.

britwhore Dec 22nd 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks sallysimmons :)

britwhore Jan 12th 2015 9:37 pm

Well plans have changed AGAIN!!

My husband just got offered an AMAZING job in London and will start March 8th! So instead of a leisurely sail over the Atlantic we're going to say some prayers and fly back with the dogs first week of March!!!

So 7 weeks and counting........yikes!!! Done it before. Can do it again. This time no house to sell and most of our stuff is still in boxes from when we arrived this time last year! We never unpacked!! HAHAHA!!!

lf1 Jan 12th 2015 9:43 pm

I am so pleased to hear your good news!!!!

britwhore Jan 12th 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks lf1 :) He's been unemployed for 3 years so this has been such a blessing!

lf1 Jan 12th 2015 9:54 pm

Wishing you, hubby and the critters all the very best in your move!!!!

britwhore Jan 12th 2015 10:24 pm

Cheers!!!! :)

Lorry1 Jan 13th 2015 5:15 pm

WOW Britwhore, there's no hanging around for you! :lol:

Congrats to hubby on the job offer, that's fab news!

Good luck for your return back home, again!

britwhore Jan 13th 2015 5:16 pm

Pombat Jan 13th 2015 6:47 pm

Lovely news, so glad to hear about the job. 7 weeks will seem like a doddle compared to 5 weeks last time! :nod: All the best for the move.

NiHao Jan 13th 2015 8:47 pm

Great news! Congrats to your hubby on the job!

fulwood Jan 14th 2015 12:13 am

Lovely news! Wish you both all the best..

Perth Jan 14th 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11531062)
Well plans have changed AGAIN!!

My husband just got offered an AMAZING job in London and will start March 8th! So instead of a leisurely sail over the Atlantic we're going to say some prayers and fly back with the dogs first week of March!!!

So 7 weeks and counting........yikes!!! Done it before. Can do it again. This time no house to sell and most of our stuff is still in boxes from when we arrived this time last year! We never unpacked!! HAHAHA!!!

Hip hip hooray!!! March 8th is my birthday too :lol: How were you able to cancel the ship booking? Wishing you the very best of luck :thumbsup:

Mallory Jan 14th 2015 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11509121)
Why?

A crossing is very useful for those with pets, and those with a lot of luggage to take with them. We would do it for those reasons if necessary, but husband still would be bored. Not his thing.

rebs Jan 14th 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11533079)
A crossing is very useful for those with pets, and those with a lot of luggage to take with them. We would do it for those reasons if necessary, but husband still would be bored. Not his thing.

Having done the crossing, it's the boredom comment that surprises me, I suppose.

I think the only things missing compared to a 'regular' holiday would be buildings and driving around - I guess if you need those for a good holiday, then yes, it wouldn't be for you.

jaffy23 Jan 14th 2015 2:06 pm

We came to the US with our dog on the QM2 in 2012 - we were so busy on the ship, no time for boredom! There's usually a couple of speakers and on our cruise RADA were there so gave some great Shakespeare performances and a few classes. Lots of fun, plenty to see or do (I'd never been to a Planetarium before, lest one on a ship!) and so much food in the Grills. The ship is about a third of a mile long so you can walk / run for exercise. The view from the top was magnificent. I forgot about the Golden Lion, last "proper" fish and chips!

I love that our dog had so much fun. Plenty of playtime on the pet deck, visits from the Captain and a Kennel Master that looks after the dogs and cats throughout the voyage. Great to here everyone's stories about why they were bringing their pet and their histories. Still in touch with most on Facebook.

curleytops Jan 14th 2015 4:08 pm

That's wonderful news britwhore, good luck with the move :starsmile:

britwhore Jan 14th 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks so much everyone! :) All very exciting. Strange sense of deja vu! HAHAHA!! Oh well. Deep breaths and all that.

Need to call QM2 this week to cancel booking. My deposit is refundable until April I think so not an issue :)

canadaelk Jan 14th 2015 10:45 pm

Hate flying and dealing with airports etc. Definitely taking QM2 when I go. Plus it helps with the time zone adjustment.

janeth8711 Jan 15th 2015 1:54 am

Hi,

Have been reading your thread and congratulations with the move!

We decided to sell our home and head to England for a visit but we want to sail also.
They quoted me $3000 for our dog to fly which is crazy.
We have been looking at doing the QM2 with our dog but i guess as others have said sell out quick.
We were hoping to go in April 2015.....maybe he will have to fly :(

Hope things go well :thumbsup:

britwhore Jan 15th 2015 11:49 pm

As far as I know the QM2 kennels are completely booked for this year but seeing as you only have one dog you should keep calling the kennel department just in case they get a last minute cancellation. That's how I managed to sail with 4 dogs last time!

jaffy23 Jan 16th 2015 12:08 pm

Good idea Britwhore (and good luck with the move back!). That's what we did and ended up changing our crossing from April to May when Cunard called us to let us know there had been a cancellation for the kennels. They were great.