QM2 booked....again!

Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default QM2 booked....again!

And we're off....again! Nov 2015 on the QM2. Kennels booked although there will probably only be 3 dogs by that time not 4

Can't believe we're going to do it again. Haven't told husband yet.......
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: QM2 booked....again!

Originally Posted by britwhore
And we're off....again! Nov 2015 on the QM2. Kennels booked although there will probably only be 3 dogs by that time not 4

Can't believe we're going to do it again. Haven't told husband yet.......
Ha ha you are so funny!

I'm surprised that you are returning again on the Queen Mary 2 - I remember that you thought it was boring last time you sailed from New York to Southampton. Is it because it's the cheapest means of travel with your pets? (How much are they charging for them to go into the kennels?)

How will you travel from Los Angeles to Brooklyn with the pets?

What has prompted you to ping-pong back to England again?

We are in limbo: my husband's contract in Switzerland expires next June and we don't know where we are going.....
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QM2 booked....again!

It's really because I don't want to fly my dogs again!!!!

Last time we were exhausted after deciding to move back to the UK only 5 weeks before and having to sell a house etc. This time it will be more of an adventure! Besides my Mum and sister are joining us on the sailing so we're going to really take advantage of everything the QM2 has to offer instead of just sleeping and eating. I may even wear a little black dress and sit in the Brittania restaurant for dinner.........maybe!!!!

We'll rent a car again to get from LA to NYC. Because it will be late november we'll have to take the southern route so weather isn't too bad.We'll spend a couple days in NYC seeing family and then board the QM2.

Well.....that's the plan - but who knows what will happen between now and Nov 2015!!! We too are in limbo so I totally understand

As far as what prompted the move back - literally the day we arrived back in LA we realized we had made a terrible mistake. We made a panic move when we decided to move back to the US and as we all know panic moves are the worst type of decisions!!! We've spent the last 10 months really talking and figuring out what we want from life etc and we realize that we were (for the most part) completely happy being back in London. However just to make sure, we both said we wouldn't make any decisions until we'd been back for at least 18 months/2 years - which would take us to the end of 2015/beginning of 2016. The kennels department at the QM2 emailed me to say they had kennels and would I be interested.....so I took that as a sign! I booked them on a whim....just in case........at least I know I have them now.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, all the best to you on the journey, & if I may ask - do you have any suggestions on how to get the best possible deal on an QM2 transatlantic crossing?

thanks
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks

Join their mailing list. They are constantly having sales. Last minute fares are about $800 per person. Good luck!!!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

post#5 thanks for the tip
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: QM2 booked....again!

Originally Posted by britwhore
It's really because I don't want to fly my dogs again!!!!

Last time we were exhausted after deciding to move back to the UK only 5 weeks before and having to sell a house etc. This time it will be more of an adventure! Besides my Mum and sister are joining us on the sailing so we're going to really take advantage of everything the QM2 has to offer instead of just sleeping and eating. I may even wear a little black dress and sit in the Brittania restaurant for dinner.........maybe!!!!

We'll rent a car again to get from LA to NYC. Because it will be late november we'll have to take the southern route so weather isn't too bad.We'll spend a couple days in NYC seeing family and then board the QM2.

Well.....that's the plan - but who knows what will happen between now and Nov 2015!!! We too are in limbo so I totally understand

As far as what prompted the move back - literally the day we arrived back in LA we realized we had made a terrible mistake. We made a panic move when we decided to move back to the US and as we all know panic moves are the worst type of decisions!!! We've spent the last 10 months really talking and figuring out what we want from life etc and we realize that we were (for the most part) completely happy being back in London. However just to make sure, we both said we wouldn't make any decisions until we'd been back for at least 18 months/2 years - which would take us to the end of 2015/beginning of 2016. The kennels department at the QM2 emailed me to say they had kennels and would I be interested.....so I took that as a sign! I booked them on a whim....just in case........at least I know I have them now.
Thank you for the update.

I strongly recommend the option to have breakfast in bed on the QM2 :

How much is it to have your dogs in the kennels? Do they all get individual kennels or do they share if they are small dogs? Do you think it is less stressful for them on board a ship compared to flying?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Englishmum,

Does it cost extra to have breakfast in bed?!?!?

I think it's less stressful for the dogs. I think the first night was hard for them because they were used to sleeping in the bedroom with us. However for the rest of the journey they slept and played and ate without seeming to be stressed. Dogs are creatures of habit so after about a day they got used to the "new routine" - besides they knew in the evening we would bring them up prime rib or roast beef to have with their dinners so they were very happy about that!!!

My dogs will be 15, 16 and 17 by the time we sail. I flew them from London to LA at the beginning of this year and even though they were fine I could tell the flight stressed them out. I can't put them through that again - and I can't deal with the stress of it again!!!

The 2 larger dogs will have a large kennel each with the dividing wall removed so they will share what will end up being an extra large kennel. The little dog will have a kennel to himself. If by some miracle my 4th dog survives the two little ones will share a large kennel - just like the last time. I believe it worked out to be about $600 for each dog. Can't remember exactly. Once I get the paperwork from QM2 I'll let you know. I think we payed about $3000 to fly them from London to LAX. I believe it's more expensive to fly them back into the UK though.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Britwhore, glad to hear the good news and that you seem well-prepared this time for move back. Meaning you came back to US and realized not for you. I appreciate info you gave on driving southern routes as would never have thought of that when it's my time to likewise. Obviously in winter northern routes would be abysmal in some states. You also said you had call from QM2 about opening for dogs. Were you on a waitlist? How far in advance did you start the process? Wish you all the best..
Old Oct 20th 2014, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

You ladies and your talk of the QM2 over the years has finally got me considering this as an option! A quick glance at their website and I notice they don't have Spring 2016 up yet, which is when we will be going. Not sure if we will be taking the dog yet or if she will stay with DD. It's more for me really. I can't stand the idea of such a long flight anymore.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fulwood
Britwhore, glad to hear the good news and that you seem well-prepared this time for move back. Meaning you came back to US and realized not for you. I appreciate info you gave on driving southern routes as would never have thought of that when it's my time to likewise. Obviously in winter northern routes would be abysmal in some states. You also said you had call from QM2 about opening for dogs. Were you on a waitlist? How far in advance did you start the process? Wish you all the best..
No I wasn't on the waitlist. I had emailed them the other week about available kennels on 2015 eastbound sailing and they wrote back to say there were none. So I emailed on wednesday and asked about 2016 and they wrote back to say that they actually had a sailing in november 2015 that had kennels. I seem to have really good timing with QM2!!!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
You ladies and your talk of the QM2 over the years has finally got me considering this as an option! A quick glance at their website and I notice they don't have Spring 2016 up yet, which is when we will be going. Not sure if we will be taking the dog yet or if she will stay with DD. It's more for me really. I can't stand the idea of such a long flight anymore.
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Best to call or email the kennel department ([email protected]) and ask about spring 2016. The kennels book up 18 months to 2 years in advance. You can always reserve a kennel and then if you don't need it just let them know. You don't pay for the kennel until the sailing.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:24 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Britwhore. Sorry that things didn't work out for you back in LA, but I do envy you having another trip on the QM2. Sounds like it will be a great trip with some of you family joining you. Don't forget to represent us well on the pub quiz team!!! Great to hear from you again.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

for those that have chosen or traveled the QM2, which is the best cabin choice as the 'best bang for your buck' - is it the 'outside balcony' or the 'ocean view'?

Or simply go with an inside cabin?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
for those that have chosen or traveled the QM2, which is the best cabin choice as the 'best bang for your buck' - is it the 'outside balcony' or the 'ocean view'?

Or simply go with an inside cabin?
Not sure about 'best bang for your buck', but when we travelled from US to UK on QM2 in 2010 we had a Princess Grill balcony cabin and I would not hesitate to recommend that.

There were 3 of us - 2 adults and our 12 year old son and there was plenty of room for all of us in the 1 spacious cabin.

Princess Grill cabins have the use of a dedicated lounge and outside terrace (along with Queens Grill passengers) so it was always easy to find somewhere reasonably quiet to sit and get a drink etc.

For dinner, we had a specific table in the restaurant which was ours all evening, so we could arrive for dinner whenever we wanted - rather than a set time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.