Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Provisional Drivers license - apply in person?

Provisional Drivers license - apply in person?

Old Jan 25th 2019, 7:09 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Provisional Drivers license - apply in person?

Hello

Does anyone know if my wife can apply in person for her provisional driving license? I am completely unwilling to send her physical passport or BRP card into the DVLA given they only send it back second class mail - don’t want to lose it given her spouse visa renewal will need all passports including old ones. I have read online there is a place in Wimbledon who do this has anyone done this recently?

thanks
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Provisional Drivers license - apply in person?

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Hello

Does anyone know if my wife can apply in person for her provisional driving license? I am completely unwilling to send her physical passport or BRP card into the DVLA given they only send it back second class mail - don’t want to lose it given her spouse visa renewal will need all passports including old ones. I have read online there is a place in Wimbledon who do this has anyone done this recently?

thanks
You can have them sent back via a tracked service, you simply have to pay for it yourself and provide the envelope - https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

HTH.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can have them sent back via a tracked service, you simply have to pay for it yourself and provide the envelope - https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

HTH.
Yep, prepaid Special Delivery plastic envelope is how we exchanged my other half’s Australian licence.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 11:14 am
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Cheers Guys - i think i prefer to send in the BRP card over the passport and will do the pre packed envelope
Old May 31st 2019, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just on this driving license subject, I have seen a post that I will need to live in the UK for a year before I can take the driving test, am I correct? I thought that I can apply for provisional driving license online, cheaper too. Wonder why "movingtolakes"'s wife needs to send in passport.

I'm nervous on the UK test although I have been driving (automatic) in the US many years. It seems so difficult here. Any advice please?

Thanks
Old May 31st 2019, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minhan
Hi,

Just on this driving license subject, I have seen a post that I will need to live in the UK for a year before I can take the driving test, am I correct? I thought that I can apply for provisional driving license online, cheaper too. Wonder why "movingtolakes"'s wife needs to send in passport.

I'm nervous on the UK test although I have been driving (automatic) in the US many years. It seems so difficult here. Any advice please?

Thanks
When our son moved back he applied for and got a provisional license immediately by post. After 6 or 7 months he took his driving test after taking several lessons. He was allowed to drive on his US licence for up to a year.
Old May 31st 2019, 9:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
You can’t take your driving test until you have been living in the UK for six months but you can drive on your US licence for up to 12 months.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 12:30 pm
UK spouse visa

Hi,

Thanks
Hi

Check the government website https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence - in my wife's case she did not have a UK passport so had to send an original (not copy) ID which was either her passport or her BRP card - fortunately we got the BRP car back with no issues but i was definitely nervous about sending it! So my wife has been here for longer than 6 months now, so she will take the test soon hopefully before the year on the USA licence expires, although she has a provisional anyway so could drive if i was in the car with her - good luck!
Old Jun 6th 2019, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Hi

Check the government website https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence - in my wife's case she did not have a UK passport so had to send an original (not copy) ID which was either her passport or her BRP card - fortunately we got the BRP car back with no issues but i was definitely nervous about sending it! So my wife has been here for longer than 6 months now, so she will take the test soon hopefully before the year on the USA licence expires, although she has a provisional anyway so could drive if i was in the car with her - good luck!
If I’m not mistaken, the rules about having to have someone drive with you on a provisional license in the case of a new resident with a foreign license are relaxed. So actually, she could drive about by herself with her provisional license. If she were to exceed the 12-month time limit since arrival, then she’d be subject to the same rules as other learner drivers (L plates, supervision etc).

How Do I Change My Licence From a US to UK One?