Proud to be British?

Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proud to be British?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I would have loved to see "W" have to answer questions like that, just once. He'd have been crucified.

The coverage of politics and current affairs in the UK media can be fantastic. I love "This Week" - the host Andrew Neill has an ascerbic wit, and it's great to see politicians like Michael Portillo able to have a little argy-bargy in an intellectually stimulating discussion, and to see them recognise quite objectively the good points of their opponents. In comparison, most US politicians look like half-wits.

Here's the Web site for This Week: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ek/default.stm
There's no end to great Radio Four programmes. I just listened to yesterday's From Our Own Correspondent .. Brilliant. That approach really brings some unknown corners of the world to life for the listener. It really is tragic for American radio listeners that there is no equivalent to the BBC here.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
I am proud to be British for many many reasons, some really simple but mostly for the sciences....... all really came to the fore in the UK........

Someone mentioned Churchill? I'll call your Churchill and raise you a

Cavendish
Newton
Wren
Hook
Haley
Faraday
Buckland
Davy
Darwin
Dawkins
Lyell
Joule
Dalton
Kelvin
Boyle
Franklin
Mantell
Originally Posted by zargof
Plus

Babbage
Turing
Flowers
Berners-Lee
Bell
Lovell
Baird
et al.
No match for...

Chapman
Cleese
Idle
Jones
Palin
Atkinson
Rhys Jones
Smith
Fry
Laurie
Barker
Corbett
Milligan
Cooper
French
Saunders
Mayall
Edmondson
Morcambe
Wise
Henry
Hill
Whitehouse
Enfield
Skinner
Sayle
Gervais
Reeves
Mortimer
Walliams
Lucas
Coogan
Bailey
Evans
James
Pegg
Frost
Baron Cohen
Morris

I'll even go with...

Brand
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
No match for...

Chapman
Cleese
Idle
Jones
Palin
Atkinson
Rhys Jones
Smith
Fry
Laurie
Barker
Corbett
Milligan
Cooper
French
Saunders
Mayall
Edmondson
Morcambe
Wise
Henry
Hill
Whitehouse
Enfield
Skinner
Sayle
Gervais
Reeves
Mortimer
Walliams
Lucas
Coogan
Bailey
Evans
James
Pegg
Frost
Baron Cohen
Morris

I'll even go with...

Brand
You missed Izzard!!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
You missed Izzard!!
and included French and Saunders
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Or the Americans who are really Brit Expats.

Charlie Chaplin

Stan Laurel

Bob Hope

Cary Grant

And a few others
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
and included French and Saunders
Jennifer Saunders is a brilliant comedy actress. You can't include one without the other though.

Similarly I also included Wise with Morecambe. And I missed Izzard. But I was bound to miss a few!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:08 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

I like what everyone has sad so far but I have to add my two pence. I would have to say what makes me proud to be British is the BBC. Yes I know that a lot of people on BE hate the BBC with a passion but I think that the BBC has made some great shows over the years and they is nothing quite like it any where in the world in my opinion. The varied and beautiful countryside.. The small and beautiful villages. Something that the Americans (America is the greatest nation on earth if you ask a lot of Americans) never got off the ground the SST. I am of course talking about Concorde with the British did with the France. This is old school but do not laugh at me I would also say Test Card F. Test Card Music. Pages from CEEFAX. PMQs, F1, the great scientists that Britain has produced over the centuries, London, The Yorkshire Dales, the books by James Herriot, the NHS, the History that Britain has and I could go on and on but I will stop now.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:14 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coastieexpat

Charlie Chaplin

Stan Laurel

Bob Hope

Cary Grant

And a few others
And I was thinking about saying Bob Hope but he would say when he was alive that he was American not British and he renounced his British Citizenship so he is not British so I did not include him.

Last edited by KetteringEnglandRocks2005; Nov 21st 2011 at 2:17 am.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
And I was thinking about saying Bob Hope but he would say when he was alive that he was American not British and he renounced his British Citizenship so he is not British so I did not include him.
Luckily he wasn't funny.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
And I was thinking about saying Bob Hope but he would say when he was alive that he was American not British so I did not include him.
Yeah that one was iffy, but he was born in Liverpool.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat

Charlie Chaplin

Stan Laurel

Bob Hope

Cary Grant

And a few others
Hopkins would have to be a new addition to the classics...now that he's donkeys old
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Luckily he wasn't funny.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Luckily he wasn't funny.
but he did do a lot of good stuff for the "troops"....then so did Jim Davidson, so probably not great company
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:44 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Chaucer
Wycliff-various spellings
Thomas Wyatt Snr
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

T.S. Eliot
Terry Gilliam
Bill Bryson
Thomas Hutchinson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.