Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The process for buying a property in the UK

The process for buying a property in the UK

Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:39 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The process for buying a property in the UK

Yes you can do in that time. We did it in 5 weeks before, with cash. We also managed it once in 7 weeks, with a mortgage and a chain of 3. Just make sure that your solicitor (and theirs) is on the ball!
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Such great information, links, advice and suggestions - thank you all so much, I feel far more knowledgeable and prepared now. I love ewe all
Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes you can. I have bought in less than a month. The solicitor and possibly the estate agent will need to see your passport...or a notarized copy. It must be notorised by a qualified practicing solicitor. You can appoint a proxy to sign everything...which will save time and money in sending documents back and forth as original signatures are required...or at least they were when I bought. My solicitor was my proxy. Both the estate agent and solicitor need to move quickly...so choose your solicitor carefully and stress the urgency.
They were OK with us signing and then scanning documents and sending back by email. Some did need to be witnessed though.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Assume you got out of the other flat purchase OK then?
Sorry Sally, forgot to answer this. Would you believe we're still wavering? Well, I am, Scouse wants out.

The build completion date's been pushed out by 12 months. The developer has a new builder, who's just completed a build schedule. The developer's offering us a refund of everything we've paid so far, or alternately, if we want to stay in, they've agreed to us not having to pay any more installments until we've seen real progress onsite (the steel delivered, the crane onsite and the bloody framework actually going up).

It's a hard call. Because we got in at the very start, we have the opportunity to get a fantastic flat for buttons. The rent we'd get on it would make a significant difference to our retirement income. But if the developer doesn't complete the build, we've lost our money. I tend towards optimism, Scouse the other way. Oh well, at least we're not fighting about it (we're lovers, not fighters!).
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry Sally, forgot to answer this. Would you believe we're still wavering? Well, I am, Scouse wants out.

The build completion date's been pushed out by 12 months. The developer has a new builder, who's just completed a build schedule. The developer's offering us a refund of everything we've paid so far, or alternately, if we want to stay in, they've agreed to us not having to pay any more installments until we've seen real progress onsite (the steel delivered, the crane onsite and the bloody framework actually going up).

It's a hard call. Because we got in at the very start, we have the opportunity to get a fantastic flat for buttons. The rent we'd get on it would make a significant difference to our retirement income. But if the developer doesn't complete the build, we've lost our money. I tend towards optimism, Scouse the other way. Oh well, at least we're not fighting about it (we're lovers, not fighters!).
Yeow! Tricky. I would tend towards optimism I think. Such a great opportunity.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:11 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeow! Tricky. I would tend towards optimism I think. Such a great opportunity.

I've had a good read of EnglishMum's great links, so much useful information there. I've contacted a couple of solicitors already, as we've seen a house that looks perfect for us (on the internet, at least). We have a couple of rellies over there in the building game, so we're going to get them to have a viewing. If everything checks out, we'd like to put an offer in.

We won't be in Liverpool until early June, so I've asked the solicitors if they could act for us in our absence. From the sounds of other's experiences, it might be possible to do that if we can satisfy the identity requirements, such as send notarized copies of our passports (or even better, scan and send notarized copies).

I'm starting to get excited about the move!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've had a good read of EnglishMum's great links, so much useful information there. I've contacted a couple of solicitors already, as we've seen a house that looks perfect for us (on the internet, at least). We have a couple of rellies over there in the building game, so we're going to get them to have a viewing. If everything checks out, we'd like to put an offer in.

We won't be in Liverpool until early June, so I've asked the solicitors if they could act for us in our absence. From the sounds of other's experiences, it might be possible to do that if we can satisfy the identity requirements, such as send notarized copies of our passports (or even better, scan and send notarized copies).

Fantastic!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes you would need to go to a local solictor to notarise your passports etc and then they can be sent to the solicitors in uk this has to be done for money laundering.... and has to be done for all involved.. also if the money is going thru a joint bank account then again both names/passports needs to be done.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:34 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by busybee2
yes you would need to go to a local solictor to notarise your passports etc and then they can be sent to the solicitors in uk this has to be done for money laundering.... and has to be done for all involved.. also if the money is going thru a joint bank account then again both names/passports needs to be done.
Thanks busybee. I wonder if a UK solicitor would accept an Australian Justice of the Peace instead of a solicitor? JPs here are appointed by the government and can notarize all documents, including identity documents needed by government departments.

Solicitors don't get involved in property conveyancing here, a conveyancer is a separate profession. I don't fancy paying a solicitor's fees to get a doc notarized, they charge like wounded bulls!

I guess the solicitor I've sent an enquiry to will tell me - if he ever gets back to me. Bloody house will be sold if he doesn't get a wriggle on.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks busybee. I wonder if a UK solicitor would accept an Australian Justice of the Peace instead of a solicitor? JPs here are appointed by the government and can notarize all documents, including identity documents needed by government departments.

Solicitors don't get involved in property conveyancing here, a conveyancer is a separate profession. I don't fancy paying a solicitor's fees to get a doc notarized, they charge like wounded bulls!

I guess the solicitor I've sent an enquiry to will tell me - if he ever gets back to me. Bloody house will be sold if he doesn't get a wriggle on.
It must be a qualified practicing solicitor...as I have already posted (post #6)

At first I used a US notary...it was not acceptable. If the JP in question is not a qualified solicitor...who is currently practicing as a solicitor...then it will delay your purchase as you will be required to re-notorise the documents.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 4th 2015 at 5:15 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 9:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It must be a qualified practicing solicitor...as I have already posted (post #6)

At first I used a US notary...it was not acceptable. If the JP in question is not a qualified solicitor...who is currently practicing as a solicitor...then it will delay your purchase as you will be required to re-notorise the documents.
Our solicitor told us that a JP was acceptable and that is who we used.

We have heard nothing back to say that it is not OK.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is there maybe something different about US notaries? Just a vague recollection that we did use one for green card application purposes, but I've subsequently seen on BE that that is no longer acceptable.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 1:51 pm
Concierge

sorry Jerseygirl, I posted the above at 1am and was knackered - should have read back over the previous posts!
Old Apr 5th 2015, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Grayling
Our solicitor told us that a JP was acceptable and that is who we used.

We have heard nothing back to say that it is not OK.
Might depend on the solicitor? I'm hoping that a JP will be ok, will see what our bod says, but if I have to go to a solicitor then I'll just have to bite the bullet. Can't see it costing less than $300, while a JP is gratis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.