Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Prison Officer Jobs in UK - eligibility requirements.

Prison Officer Jobs in UK - eligibility requirements.

Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prison Officer Jobs in UK - eligibility requirements.

My daughter is an American Citizen age 20). I was born in the UK. I did not register her here when she was born. Is she eligible for a British passport?

I was also wondering if anyone knows about law enforcement jobs in the UK or Europe. If anyone knows how difficult they are to get into. She's looking at mainly prison work right now equivalent of a Corrections Officer) She has a 2 year Associates Degree in Criminal Justice (US). Not that that would do much good in the UK probably. She is taking the US civil service exam for Correction Officers.

Thanks in advance from anyone that knows about this subject.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prison Officer Jobs in UK - eligibility requirements.

May need some more facts to determine British nationality. Are you British other than by descent? Are you the mother or father? Were you married? Where was she born?
Old Oct 7th 2014, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my parents were born in the UK. I am her mother. Married to an American 29 years so far...(Do they hand out an award for that?! ) My daughter was born in Buffalo, NY. I have her official birth certificate.

Thank you Sir Eccles.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
Both my parents were born in the UK. I am her mother. Married to an American 29 years so far...(Do they hand out an award for that?! ) My daughter was born in Buffalo, NY. I have her official birth certificate.

Thank you Sir Eccles.
I'm pretty sure she was a British citizen at birth and can just apply for a UK passport. She may need to provide extra evidence when she applies along the lines of copies of your birth and marriage certificates.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter's birth can still be registered with the British authorities. Whilst it's not mandatory to receive citizenship or to apply for a British passport it will make the process easier especially now that she is over 18 years of age. It would also provide her with a British-style birth certificate which may prove useful if she intends to live and work in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

For information for applying for jobs with HM Prison Service take a look at their recruitment website:

NOMS