Wikiposts

Pregnant Smokers

Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:36 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I thought you weren't speaking to me?
You need new glasses, Papaw. Reread, "........maybe you're just a grumpy person who only feels better when he complains. Maybe you're quite nice in person, and just use this forum as therapy or your 'other' self. I don't know, but I've quite tired of you on this subject. Maybe we'll spar again. Bye."

I forgot to add, "maybe you just like to provoke women to abuse you, sounds like you could be into that."
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a PM. If anyone else is curious I did find this for California

The Major Risk Medical Insurance Program (MRMIP) provides health insurance for Californians unable to obtain coverage in the individual health insurance market because of their pre-existing conditions. Californians qualifying for the program, participate in the cost of their coverage by paying premiums. The State of California supplements those premiums to cover the cost of care in MRMIP. Tobacco tax funds currently subsidize the MRMIP. Due to limited funding, MRMIP may have a waiting list. Qualifications:
  • California resident.
  • Cannot be eligible for both Part A and Part B of Medicare, unless eligible solely because of end-stage renal disease.
  • Cannot be eligible to purchase any health insurance for continuation of benefits under Cobra or CalCobra.
  • Unable to secure adequate coverage.
For a copy of the MRMIP Handbook & application or find out whether or not there is a waiting list, call toll free 1-800-289-6574.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Rete - if you know something I don't, PLEASE share as this is a very real issue for a very good friend of mine.

The specific issue is Private Insurance - not group insurance. I know that ins.co's cannot deny insurance at the group level due to pre-existing conditions, and that's great. But for private insurance - eg, if you are out of work - I've found it to be the absolute norm, not a 'nuance' of some obscure plan.

If you think that's not correct, please tell me more as my very good friend has had breast cancer and is about to lose her job. Once COBRA runs out, she is going to have to go with private insurance and as of now, cannot find anyone willing to touch her. She's about 53 years old.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
You need new glasses, Papaw. Reread, "........maybe you're just a grumpy person who only feels better when he complains. Maybe you're quite nice in person, and just use this forum as therapy or your 'other' self. I don't know, but I've quite tired of you on this subject. Maybe we'll spar again. Bye."

I forgot to add, "maybe you just like to provoke women to abuse you, sounds like you could be into that."
So you are talking to me after all! That's okay, then.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:57 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
How callous you are. I do hope that if you have done something that is later shown to be a health risk to your child[ren] or to others, that they forgive you of your ignorance.
Callous? You know so little about me and especially about my childhood health issues, most of which were probably preventable had my Mum not smoked. If you were in my shoes, you might feel the same way as I do.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Callous? You know so little about me and especially about my childhood health issues, most of which were probably preventable had my Mum not smoked. If you were in my shoes, you might feel the same way as I do.

No, I don't know you very well, or at all, but you are at or at least over the age of 30 and if that is so than health warnings about cigarettes were not known then or too new to be believable by most of the world's population. As such, how can you hold her accountable for your health problems because she smoked while pregnant or while you were growing up?

Note you use the term "probably preventable" so you aren't even sure that it was a result of cigarettes.

It is not like she refused to let you get the polio vaccination and you developed polio. The fact that she smoked is a forgiven offense. At least it is in my eyes.

It's your life, your emotions and your mother. I forgave my mother for a lot worse but then that is me. I should not judge you by my example.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Shiny happy people holding hands.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I hate to see pregnant women smoke also...but are these risks of asthma and stunted growth and premature births really so great that they are worse option than the baby also going through nicotine withdrawl symtoms with it's mother?
Withdrawal is temporary, and the foetus would very probably be to young to be aware. No lasting harm. Asthma and the defects from premature birth can be devastating and last forever. So I would say yes.

Private insurance is different from group insurance. My daughter was covered under Cobra a few years ago and was able to extend the coverage period for an additional year before she converted it to private healthcare. Have her check with the carrier.

I'm assuming your friend is still battling the breast cancer, i.e. chemo and/or radiation. Have her look into getting social security diability so that she would automatically qualify for medicaid. (Think that is what it is called.) Also most states have state funded healthcare programs for those that cannot get healthcare. She might qualify for that.
Medicare, not medicaid. And excellent idea re. the state funded program.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:58 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is simple -- get rid of the insurance companies. There's absolutely no reason for them to be there. If they provided efficiency and quality to the system, I'd gladly live with them. They clearly don't.

[As background on this and the other thread running health care at the moment since you're new, you'll find several common denominators in those who refuse to accept there's any problem and vehemently resist change: they're all native or near-native born American females who have never experienced anything else.]
Oh FFS. **beats head against table.**

Don't you have a 'mute' button or something?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:14 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

God clearly hates cigarettes, as proven by this recycled joke I posted earlier.

Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Oh FFS. **beats head against table.**

Don't you have a 'mute' button or something?
K'off, ginger.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:23 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

K'off
Ricola ??
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:29 pm
Militant Ginger

K'off, ginger.
Nasty k'off you've got there. I'd lay off the fags.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:53 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

K'off, ginger.
Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Nasty k'off you've got there. I'd lay off the fags.
Okay you two! Simma down now! Don't make me cuff you two Then again you two might enjoy that. Back to the drawing board....
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

And that is a very narcisistic and judgmental attitude. It was EASY for you, therefore, it must be easy for everyone who has a desire to stop smoking. Because it was EASY for you to smoke, therefore, smokers are worthy of your distain.

Tolerance level - Zero.
Wow.. it's almost impressive how extraordinarily WRONG you are!
1. I assume you meant "narcissistic", but perhaps you have the wrong word. NOTHING I said could even almost be defined as narcissistic.
2. My opinion is certainly judgemental. That's because, knowing the potential impact on their unborn child of smoking cigarettes, I think it's a despicable act. Regardless of how easy (or hard) it is to quit, I absolutely do not accept that it's so terribly difficult that it's not worth stopping for the sake of your child's health.
3. I did not say it should be easy for everyone to quit smoking. Nope, just didn't say that at all.
4. I did not say it was easy for me to smoke.
5. I did not ever say that "smokers are worthy of" my "disdain".

Perhaps you should read more carefully and avoid ascribing statements to me that I didn't make. And since you mentioned judgmental, perhaps you should check the mirror, madam.