Pregnant Smokers

Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:38 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Pregnant Smokers

A gal I work beside is due to give birth at the end of April but I've found out that she still smokes. I know it's not my place to say anything but I hate the thought that her unborn daughter isn't getting the best start in life.
We're quite good friends at work (not away from work) and I don't think she'd take offence at whatever I say as I've been a really helpful source of advice for her on other stuff, even if I do say so myself.

Even her boyfriend continually tells her she needs to stop to no avail.
I feel some folk are so selfish to continue their habit while pregnant but I guess it is none of my business. I've seen more pregnant smokers in the UK than the US, but it still gets my goat. My mum smoked when she had me and all through my childhood and while I have a slight grudge against her for that, it didn't seem to negatively impact my physical abilities.

Anyone else have a view on lassies smoking while 'with child'?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

I smoked with both pregnancies and my babies were good weights and had no health issues. In fact my youngest who is due in August smokes 3 to 4 half cigs a day and her ob-gny told her not to obsess about stoping. That amount will not cause any harm to the fetus.

Personally, your views are just that ... yours. Keep them to youself. She is fully aware of all the health warnings.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

This is going to sound harsh, but I don't know why people don't stop smoking and then get pregnant.

I guess with unplanned pregnancies you can't do that though.

I just think its very selfish.

Last edited by britchicknyc; Jan 24th 2008 at 4:44 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:29 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That amount will not cause any harm to the fetus.
I would think any amount would have the possibility to harm the fetus. Of course, I'm not an O.B., Dr. Nick Riveria or otherwise.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:30 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Just a crazy risk to take in my opinion, but I'm sure she's aware of all those potential health hazards to her unborn child (increased risk of prematurity, increased risk of developing asthma later on in life etc.)

Naomi.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my friend's doctor told her she would be better off to keep smoking than go through the stress of trying to quit. Then her extremely tiny baby was born with a lot of problems and she wished she'd quit after all.
As far as I am concerned smoking while pregnant or around your small kids is like driving them around without seat belts. You know it's a huge risk but you just can't be bothered to make the effort. 30 or more years ago - fair enough, the facts weren't available. But nowadays? There's no excuse.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
A My mum smoked when she had me and all through my childhood and while I have a slight grudge against her for that, it didn't seem to negatively impact my physical abilities.
So your Mum's smoking did you no harm...
But your critical of others who still smoke ...

Make no sense to me ...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I smoked with both pregnancies and my babies were good weights and had no health issues. In fact my youngest who is due in August smokes 3 to 4 half cigs a day and her ob-gny told her not to obsess about stoping. That amount will not cause any harm to the fetus.

Personally, your views are just that ... yours. Keep them to youself. She is fully aware of all the health warnings.
Holy Crap! Just because your kids didn't have problems doesn't mean problems aren't statistically more likely. And the fact your youngest smokes may be influenced by the fact that you (presumably) smoked when she was young.

I know some people who drink and drive and don't get into accidents (yet). Does that mean it's OK to drink and drive?

I would support higher medical premiums for smokers. That may be the best way to deal with it.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:27 am
Gotta have more cowbell

Originally Posted by Ray
So your Mum's smoking did you no harm...
But your critical of others who still smoke ...
Make no sense to me ...
Not really - I'm critical of my mother too. I was lucky evidently.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not really - I'm critical of my mother too. I was lucky evidently.
Funny ..so was I ...so where are all the stunted sick people of my generation .
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

A gal I work beside is due to give birth at the end of April but I've found out that she still smokes. I know it's not my place to say anything but I hate the thought that her unborn daughter isn't getting the best start in life.
We're quite good friends at work (not away from work) and I don't think she'd take offence at whatever I say as I've been a really helpful source of advice for her on other stuff, even if I do say so myself.

Even her boyfriend continually tells her she needs to stop to no avail.
I feel some folk are so selfish to continue their habit while pregnant but I guess it is none of my business. I've seen more pregnant smokers in the UK than the US, but it still gets my goat. My mum smoked when she had me and all through my childhood and while I have a slight grudge against her for that, it didn't seem to negatively impact my physical abilities.

Anyone else have a view on lassies smoking while 'with child'?
tell her to stop smoking and do crack instead. Its great for babies!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I should point out that I used to smoke myself, 10 a day, but gave up before trying to get pregnant. If I think of the damage that 10 did to my body, I can only imagine what it does to a fetus.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I should point out that I used to smoke myself, 10 a day, but gave up before trying to get pregnant. If I think of the damage that 10 did to my body, I can only imagine what it does to a fetus.
gives it brown smelly fingers and bad breath
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:25 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Funny ..so was I ...so where are all the stunted sick people of my generation .

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...5&limit=recent
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:37 am
Ray

Why would I want to see Lionheart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.