Wikiposts

Pregnant Smokers

Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Ray
Funny ..so was I ...so where are all the stunted sick people of my generation .
They may have died prematurely due to health issues from birth?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just 'cos your two children appear to be healthy and you smoked through both pregnancies doesn't making smoking during pregnancy (or immediately prior to conception or even after birth) OK!
I dont think Rete did say it was OK. I think she was inferring that the risks may be exagerrated greatly.

There is too much evidence in medical literature to back up that smoking during pregnancy is not good for the fetus (nor the mother, even if she weren't pregnant).
Who was arguing against that?

By the way, I may disagree with your views but I am not against you airing them. You are entitled to hold your views even though I think you're mistaken.
Is'nt that the whole idea of a forum Miss Moderator?

Last edited by Rushman; Jan 24th 2008 at 10:38 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:38 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Surely ADULTS should be left alone to make their own decisions in life without the nanny state or interfering nosy people getting in their face about it.

I don't like the entire smoking thing. Gave it up years ago. But I wouldn't sit in judgement of someone who does smoke.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not just my kids, but just about all kids born to parents of my generation. I do not know of one child born of my many friends and family who were born with disabilities or incurred future health problems because their mothers and/or fathers smoked or drank moderately.

My kids are 36 and 39 and neither have asthma or any other health issues. Nor does my niece or nephew and they both are athletes.

I'm not saying that all children of smokers were born healthy, but that the stats are not reliable simply because a lot of health issues can be traced to other causes, genetic, environmental, etc. and not just to a parent having smoked when pregnant.

I agree that smoking is not a healthy thing to do
It's more about the birth weight I believe, low birthweight being linked to a number of problems, also smoking has been shown to damage both eggs and sperm, so ideally both parents should give up before conceiving.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:51 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

smoking is one of the high risk factors in cot death - Sudden Infant Death syndrome.

I agree that smoking during pregnancy can cause birth defects and low birth rates, but conceed that you could smoke through out pregnacy and have a healthy baby.

However smoking when you've got a baby in the house contributes greatly to the risk of SIDS. and I'm not talking about smoking over the baby, but smoking outside in the garden and coming back into the house is as risky.

If you can't stop or dramatically reduce smoking when you're growing a baby, what hopes are there of giving up when the baby is in the house?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on smoking during pregnancy are this. Why go through the 9 month gestation period if you're not going to aim to give birth to the most healthiest child? Smoking is one risk factor that the mother-to-be can definitely control.
that may be and is the case, but the OP's question was whether she should say something. See my earlier post it is not her position to moralise. Its a super super nanny state gone mad and bad!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There are 1,001 things that can go wrong in a pregnancy that are beyond your control. Why not at least avoid the things you can control. My mum smoked when I was a kid and admitted she didn't know any better. I thought this behavior was a thing of the past.

Since healthcare gets brought up in most other posts, may as well do it here. I'm opposed to the current practice of insurance companies refusing to insure people with pre-existing conditions. I think this is barbaric since the individual has no control over what conditions they have. But if an individual knowingly does something that is known to increase the risk of ill-health, I'd say it's not as unreasonable to refuse to cover someone for the specific consequences. i.e. - you smoke, you get lung cancer, you aren't covered. I don't actually like that idea, but I like it more than what's happening to some friends of mine - you get breast cancer, you can't get private insurance.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Its none of your business to moralise over others behaviour. ...
Personally I wouldnt sanction her behaviour but its her business and right to do as she sees fit, not yours!
What about a drug-addicted pregnant mother? I believe the state (in both UK and US) can take certain forcible actions to control the mother's actions, can they not? Is that also unreasonable?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
There are 1,001 things that can go wrong in a pregnancy that are beyond your control. Why not at least avoid the things you can control. My mum smoked when I was a kid and admitted she didn't know any better. I thought this behavior was a thing of the past.

Since healthcare gets brought up in most other posts, may as well do it here. I'm opposed to the current practice of insurance companies refusing to insure people with pre-existing conditions. I think this is barbaric since the individual has no control over what conditions they have. But if an individual knowingly does something that is known to increase the risk of ill-health, I'd say it's not as unreasonable to refuse to cover someone for the specific consequences. i.e. - you smoke, you get lung cancer, you aren't covered. I don't actually like that idea, but I like it more than what's happening to some friends of mine - you get breast cancer, you can't get private insurance.
Okay so if youre fat you cant get coverage for diabetes? Is that what youre saying? And by conclusion your argument would say that you ate too many burgers you now cant get health coverage for heart disease? Thats what they're doing to smokers and the logical conclusion is that you wont be able to get coverage for any health issue that you might have contributed to by life style choices.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I
Is'nt that the whole idea of a forum Miss Moderator?
She is popping at me .the usual different rules apply ....
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

I am by no means an expert on this, however I did work for a not for profit organization aimed at educating pregnant women about how to have a healthy pregnancy. In my experience, many women who smoked during their pregnancies were just not aware of the dangers (not only low birth weights, but also ear and respiratory infections, ADHD, SIDS etc) because their mum, aunt, grandmother etc etc smoked and they all turned out just fine! We had oxygen monitors to show just how much % they were getting to their baby. Very scary! It was my job to educate doctors about said statistics and let me tell you, they just did not make the time to hear about them nor did they in turn take the time to educate their patients. For heavy smokers who actually asked for help, they would simply tell them to call us for help. Part of my area we had a 25% rate of pregnant women who admitted to smoking during pregnancy. I believe the national average is around 7% if memory serves me correctly. I look at it that it's only 9 months of your life -- 9 months compared to your child's whole life. Surely she can quit for that amount of time to ensure her unborn child is getting 100% oxygen during its gestation period? Ok, getting off soapbox now!

Last edited by yorkshirelass; Jan 24th 2008 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

that may be and is the case, but the OP's question was whether she should say something. See my earlier post it is not her position to moralise. Its a super super nanny state gone mad and bad!
I think the OP may have been wanting to help the person rather than moralise though.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
I am by no means an expert on this, however I did work for a not for profit organization aimed at educating pregnant women about how to have a healthy pregnancy. In my experience, many women who smoked during their pregnancies were just not aware of the dangers (not only low birth weights, but also ear and respiratory infections, ADHD, SIDS etc) because their mum, aunt, grandmother etc etc smoked and they all turned out just fine! We had oxygen monitors to show just how much % they were getting to their baby. Very scary! It was my job to educate doctors about said statistics and let me tell you, they just did not make the time to hear about them nor did they in turn take the time to educate their patients. For heavy smokers who actually asked for help, they would simply tell them to call us for help. Part of my area we had a 25% rate of pregnant women who admitted to smoking during pregnancy. I believe the national average is around 7% if memory serves me correctly. I look at it that it's only 9 months of your life -- 9 months compared to your child's whole life. Surely she can quit for that amount of time to ensure her unborn child is getting 100% oxygen during its gestation period? Ok, getting off soapbox now!
It's good to know you were able to help them. I'm sure every mother would want to best for her baby and as you say not realise the possible harm they were doing.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But if an individual knowingly does something that is known to increase the risk of ill-health, I'd say it's not as unreasonable to refuse to cover someone for the specific consequences. i.e. - you smoke, you get lung cancer, you aren't covered.
You're an air traffic controller and you have heart disease? Piss off!
You're a teacher and you have a nervous breakdown? Piss off!
You ate McDonalds all your 20 years of life and now you've got diabetes? Piss off!
You worked in a cubicle farm with a keyboard and now you've got carpal tunnel? Piss off!

It's a slippery slope. I wouldn't even start on it if I were you!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:57 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so if youre fat you cant get coverage for diabetes? Is that what youre saying? And by conclusion your argument would say that you ate too many burgers you now cant get health coverage for heart disease? Thats what they're doing to smokers and the logical conclusion is that you wont be able to get coverage for any health issue that you might have contributed to by life style choices.
They're offering cash to the fatties to lose weight . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...publicservices

I reckon I'll gain a few pounds then get paid to lose it. What a deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.