Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Precautions on tax when moving back to UK

Precautions on tax when moving back to UK

Old Sep 17th 2022, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Dolphin_court is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Precautions on tax when moving back to UK

I have been working and living in Saudi Arabia for 14 years. Now I am going to move back to UK (I am a UK citizen). Any suggestions on precautions should I take to avoid tax on my income from abroad? Any useful government website?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Precautions on tax when moving back to UK

Do you mean "income from abroad", or do you really mean "savings accumulated from the income earned while I was abroad"?

You cannot avoid income on the former, but there may be ways to mitigate taxes on the latter.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dolphin_court
I have been working and living in Saudi Arabia for 14 years. Now I am going to move back to UK (I am a UK citizen). Any suggestions on precautions should I take to avoid tax on my income from abroad? Any useful government website?

Thanks.
What type of foreign income are you talking about after you arrive back in the UK?

For example I am married so we split up our income as best we could before we moved to maximize our tax free brackets. (HMRC taxes individuals, not couples). We also have dividends and capital gains from foreign invest funds so I made sure we moved those funds to “HMRC Reporting Funds” to get the much lower tax treatment.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Dear Pulaski,
I mean my salary from my abroad employment (a Saudi company) when I live and work in Saudi before I come back to UK.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you will only be taxed on income that you earn from the day you become tax resident in the UK. Income prior to that is not counted, at least it wasn’t when I returned. For example I arrived May 5th and none of my income prior to that date was counted.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold

The main things you need to do are investigate 'split year treatment' which means that if you arrive in UK part way through a tax year you wont pay any income tax on income you earned that tax year in Saudi. The second thing is to look to sell any shares you own before you leave Saudi and rebuy them just after arrival in UK. This is to wipe clean any potential capital gains liability if you decide to sell shares in the future.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I believe you will only be taxed on income that you earn from the day you become tax resident in the UK. Income prior to that is not counted, at least it wasn’t when I returned. For example I arrived May 5th and none of my income prior to that date was counted.
Did you request split year treatment for the year that you arrived back in the UK?
Old Sep 19th 2022, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Did you request split year treatment for the year that you arrived back in the UK?
Yes, we certainly did.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information
Old Sep 20th 2022, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dean350
The main things you need to do are investigate 'split year treatment' which means that if you arrive in UK part way through a tax year you wont pay any income tax on income you earned that tax year in Saudi. The second thing is to look to sell any shares you own before you leave Saudi and rebuy them just after arrival in UK. This is to wipe clean any potential capital gains liability if you decide to sell shares in the future.
Thank you for the valuable advice
Old Sep 21st 2022, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we certainly did.
We'll be doing this next year.
Was it as straightforward as just filling in the SA109 form, or did HMRC come back with followup questions?
Old Sep 21st 2022, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Was it as straightforward as just filling in the SA109 form, or did HMRC come back with followup questions?
We had a tax preparer do it for us and she did complete SA109. We had no follow up questions from HMRC.

We continue to treat the US calendar tax year as coterminous with the UK tax year which means we can simply use the 1099s we receive as-is, with no need for a separate tracking of income or taxes paid April-April

in Section 19 of SA100 the following comment was made.

”My wife and I returned to the UK on 8 May 2016, having lived in the USA since 1987. We are claiming split year residency in the UK for 2016/2017 under Case 8 as we started to have a home in the UK from 18 May 2016, would otherwise be UK resident for the entire tax year by virtue of our UK days, not ties, were non-resident in the UK in 2015/2016 and will be UK resident for 2017/2018. As such, this tax return declares non-UK income and gains received between 8 May 2016 and 31 December 2016 only with the 2016 calendar year being regarded as co-terminus with the 2016/2017 UK tax year since all income will be declared year on year and this method makes the foreign tax credit computation more accurate with UK taxes credited on the US Return in respect of doubly taxed income only.”
Old Sep 25th 2022, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

We had a tax preparer do it for us and she did complete SA109. We had no follow up questions from HMRC.

We continue to treat the US calendar tax year as coterminous with the UK tax year which means we can simply use the 1099s we receive as-is, with no need for a separate tracking of income or taxes paid April-April

in Section 19 of SA100 the following comment was made.

”My wife and I returned to the UK on 8 May 2016, having lived in the USA since 1987. We are claiming split year residency in the UK for 2016/2017 under Case 8 as we started to have a home in the UK from 18 May 2016, would otherwise be UK resident for the entire tax year by virtue of our UK days, not ties, were non-resident in the UK in 2015/2016 and will be UK resident for 2017/2018. As such, this tax return declares non-UK income and gains received between 8 May 2016 and 31 December 2016 only with the 2016 calendar year being regarded as co-terminus with the 2016/2017 UK tax year since all income will be declared year on year and this method makes the foreign tax credit computation more accurate with UK taxes credited on the US Return in respect of doubly taxed income only.”
Thanks for the info. We aren't in the US though.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info. We aren't in the US though.
Then you won’t have to worry about lining up the tax years after your first year back if you don’t have foreign income. If you do have foreign income continuing after you are back in the UK then you probably won’t need to file taxes in 2 countries either so life becomes simple.