Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The practicalities of moving back to the UK

The practicalities of moving back to the UK

Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice
Default The practicalities of moving back to the UK

I am hoping to get some help from those of you with knowledge and experience of moving back to the UK. I am planning a move back to the UK from Canada, and need some service and practical advice.

Firstly, what is the best and easiest way of moving sums of money from a Canadian bank account back to the UK?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a shipping company which offers a good service to ship goods back to the UK? I do not need to move a lot of stuff, just simply more than I can carry in a suitcase. I'm not talking furniture or anything like that. I am just wondering what your recommendations would be?

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The practicalities of moving back to the UK

There's was thread on the main Canada forum discussing ways of transferring money to the UK that may help.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565925

When I moved back I just took a sterling bankers draft with me and closed my Canadian account or I could have done a wire transfer.

So can I be nosey and ask why you're moving back?

Last edited by Elaine B.; Oct 15th 2008 at 10:56 am. Reason: oops wrong thread
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:05 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi..... i had my funds wired to my Uk bank after we got back........But i had to write a letter allowing them to wire it, they did however keep the letter on file till i was ready to transfer.

I have had and i am still having trouble with my shipment from Canada and i have been back 17wks now
So if you want to know which shippers not to use PM me
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ojmurphy
I am hoping to get some help from those of you with knowledge and experience of moving back to the UK. I am planning a move back to the UK from Canada, and need some service and practical advice.

Firstly, what is the best and easiest way of moving sums of money from a Canadian bank account back to the UK?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a shipping company which offers a good service to ship goods back to the UK? I do not need to move a lot of stuff, just simply more than I can carry in a suitcase. I'm not talking furniture or anything like that. I am just wondering what your recommendations would be?

Thank you in advance.

Hiya ojmurphy
Mr Oldbag and I moved from Seaforth, near Goderich (not a million miles from you) in June this year. We used HiFX to move currency; they provided the best deal at that time. I contacted them through their website and got a call back very quickly....within an hour....from their office in San Fransisco, after which all the necessary forms were e-mailed for us to complete. It's one of the few currency brokers I contacted to accept cheques as payment, thereby avoiding fairly hefty bank fees, and we dealt with the Toronto office for the actual payment transfer. We've kept a few thousand in the Canadian bank account for future holidays.
As to shipping, there's loads of info about this on here We contacted several shipping companies, only one of whom came to the house to do a "walk through", and even then he produced a "guesstimate" which was way over the 300 cubic feet we shipped over with Global International in Toronto

450-3 Esna Park Drive, Markham (Toronto), Ontario, L3R 1H5
TEL: (905)475-1990 FAX: (905)475-9542
[email protected]

We dealt with a guy called Pete, and were pleased with the service. It cost just less the $3500 to ship from Seaforth, via Toronto to Southampton. We packed our own boxes, they packed the few sticks of furniture, took care of all the paperwork at both ends, and delivered it to us in West Sussex a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps.......good luck with everything

Just noticed (I'd forgotten about it)....there is a forum on here run by HiFX..........

Last edited by Jay Bird; Oct 17th 2008 at 9:49 pm. Reason: Added a bit