Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

possible to join brit army after living in US?

Wikiposts

possible to join brit army after living in US?

Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

uk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really nice
Default possible to join brit army after living in US?

I have been living in the US for the last 11 years or so and have recently got my US citizenship. However i would like to return to the UK (still have British citizenship) and join the army. Is that possible? I understand that you are supposed to be living in the UK for a few years prior to applying to join the forces...
Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of
Default Re: possible to join brit army after living in US?

My son joined the British army last year and had to prove he had lived in the UK for the last 3 years on application form
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:33 am
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Try asking the Army http://www.army.mod.uk/
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:33 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Also check this site on US citizenship and foreign military service.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_780.html
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:54 am
Just Joined

uk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really niceuk_dave is just really nice

okay, so i called a recruiter today, and apparently i only have to be living in a country that is deemed acceptable for the 3 years prior to joining up, and the US is deemed acceptable, so i'm okay!

and after reading that link penguinsix posted, it looks like i would only lose my US citizenship (which took ages to get) if i was fighting against the states, and that's unlikely to happen, so i'm okay there too.

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_dave
okay, so i called a recruiter today, and apparently i only have to be living in a country that is deemed acceptable for the 3 years prior to joining up, and the US is deemed acceptable, so i'm okay!

and after reading that link penguinsix posted, it looks like i would only lose my US citizenship (which took ages to get) if i was fighting against the states, and that's unlikely to happen, so i'm okay there too.

Thanks guys!
Thanks for posting back, Dave. Could you provide a bit more detail on this, eg when you say 'recruiter', what sort of 'level' do you mean, i.e. was it someone who actually has the authority to make this assertion, and are there any written guidelines that support this?

Also, I'd be interested to know which countries are / are not 'acceptable'...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Thanks for posting back, Dave. Could you provide a bit more detail on this, eg when you say 'recruiter', what sort of 'level' do you mean, i.e. was it someone who actually has the authority to make this assertion, and are there any written guidelines that support this?

Thinking about signing on?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Thinking about signing on?
No need.

Been there, done that...
Attached Thumbnails possible to join brit army after living in US?-alexis.jpg  
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:13 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

No need.

Been there, done that...
I see. And you must have done well, your chest has won many awards.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning to join the Army at enlisted level, or as an officer?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you planning to join the Army at enlisted level, or as an officer?
i'm not sure yet. To be an officer you need a certain amount of GCSEs, and unfortunately i left the UK the year before i would have done my them, so i have none. I do have a BS from a US universtiy, but that doesn't count apparently. The lady i spoke to asked me if i took an equivalent to the GCSEs in the states, and i suppose that would be the SATs, which i did take and did fairly well on.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

i called the Royal Navy career number (08456 07 55 55) and spoke to a lady there, so perhaps not a real recruiter, i don't know, but she said it was fine to join from the US since i am a British citizen. I'm not sure about written rules for joining from foreign countries, but she said she was going to send my information to an overseas recruiting office in London, so that might be a good place to fine official guidelines.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:17 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My only other point would be your post-military career, and whether it would have to do with anything security related in the US such that a security clearance would be required.

Getting a security clearance in the US is basically impossible those who are not citizens, and very difficult for those with dual citizenship. Your military service, while you'd think it might be a plus, might actually be a negative when they review your application for clearance later on. It's had to say.

Hey, this might not even be an issue, I just thought I'd mention it. There are several posts in the USA forum about US security clearances (some technical/engineering jobs in the US require it as the company is a defense contractor to the Pentagon). If you are planning on a career in the military - industrial complex post-service, this might be something to consider.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not sure yet. To be an officer you need a certain amount of GCSEs, and unfortunately i left the UK the year before i would have done my them, so i have none. I do have a BS from a US universtiy, but that doesn't count apparently. The lady i spoke to asked me if i took an equivalent to the GCSEs in the states, and i suppose that would be the SATs, which i did take and did fairly well on.
I do actually find that hard to believe. I'd definately get a second opinion on that about your degree. I'd say you are educationally qualifed to be an officer (not that that alone is a guarantee of you being accepted as an officer candidate in the Brit Army, contrary to how it defacto is in the US Army).

You might give the forums a try at www.arrse.co.uk. Ask some of your questions in the "Joining up" and/or "RHQ" sections; there are some pretty well connected and knowledgable people on there.