Reload this Page >

Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

mips is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Hello All,
I am married to an American (we met online) we have been married 2 years in May and have been living in the UK. This Christmas we went back to the states and were both offered jobs starting in May as we wernt really thinking that hard about moving back I need some help to be able to get organised in the time scale. I have been told by the people in the states that I need to file I130 and G3258 x 2 but they have no idea how long this will take and the yank embassy here wont answer their phones! Any idea if theres somehowI can find out how long this is going to take. Is there a faster route.

Secondly I am bringing my dogs with me now this is a lot less of a problem than me just expensive. Any tips on flyinf with dogs would be appreciated. Also I need to have a travel crate made for a very big hound as the regular vari kennels etc are too small anyone have any ideas on who could make one in the UK?

Lastly What am I going to miss the most that I should bring...what would you have taken with you? What do you have to send back here for the most? I already have catering size tubs of marmite ordered.

ohh and can you buy video players that will play pal format?

Many thanks
Sue
Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Originally Posted by mips
Is there a faster route.
If you're a UK citizen and he has leave to remain, consider DCF - direct consular filing. A quick online check should give you the info you need. It is the fastest, easiest route to take in your situation.

Yes - there are one or two players that play both PAL and NTSC format, and there are also converters.

Sorry, but I can't help you with the dog stuff - but I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Hello Ian
Thanks for the reply and info. Ok I have checked the stuff on direct consulate and that I think is the way for us to go. But he can stay until mid May then his 2 years are up. Should we get that made perminant? WE were planning to but we cannot do that until mid March and if we are moving back to the US is it worth doing anyway?
Sue
Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should we get that made perminant? WE were planning to but we cannot do that until mid March and if we are moving back to the US is it worth doing anyway?
Well, now I'm a bit out of my depth. There are many others here who can give you more info! Good luck!

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:59 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,
I am married to an American (we met online) we have been married 2 years in May and have been living in the UK. This Christmas we went back to the states and were both offered jobs starting in May as we wernt really thinking that hard about moving back I need some help to be able to get organised in the time scale. I have been told by the people in the states that I need to file I130 and G3258 x 2 but they have no idea how long this will take and the yank embassy here wont answer their phones! Any idea if theres somehowI can find out how long this is going to take. Is there a faster route.

Secondly I am bringing my dogs with me now this is a lot less of a problem than me just expensive. Any tips on flyinf with dogs would be appreciated. Also I need to have a travel crate made for a very big hound as the regular vari kennels etc are too small anyone have any ideas on who could make one in the UK?

Lastly What am I going to miss the most that I should bring...what would you have taken with you? What do you have to send back here for the most? I already have catering size tubs of marmite ordered.

Many thanks
Sue
Hi Sue! I would suggest Febreze for the dog (no I'm not joking!) We travelled with a lot of families who bought pets with them and this seemed to be top of the list.
There are a lot of English foods that you will miss, if you are lucky you may find a small selection in larger supermarkets and also small brit supply stores, marmite, great idea!! Birds eye custard, chocolate, T-bags, walkers crisps, these are to name a few that we get homesick for!! All depends on what you like! (some good bread mixes!! bread over here is very different)
Can't really help you on the visa stuff, my husband was also living in the U.K and we filed in London, the whole process took about 6 months, good luck! Kate
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Hello Kate thanks for the ideas do you know they are going to stop making Birds custard???? SHOCK HORROR. I loath the smell of fabreze but like the kennel disinfectants (they work better too). So I will stock up on them and chocolate will be hard to miss. I took 500 bars with me for family from here for Christmas my American relatives miss UK chocloate lol.

Anyone any ideas if you can buy duvets out there or shall I just ship some from here. Cant seam to find any online.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:47 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Linens and Things does duvets.

I've lugged my pets around the globe. I flew a very large border collie to Spain from London. I had a crate made by Airpets at LHR. I lived in West London so I just popped down with my dog and they made one to measure.

She was frantic on the flight out and held up the plane for 20 mins while they tried to calm her down. She came out the other end soaking wet. Apparently they do that as dogs can overheat which can be fatal for them.

Moving to America I had to leave her behind as her vet check revealed that her cancer had come back. She stayed with my parents and sadly died a couple of weeks after I moved here. Even if she'd been fit and well I wouldn't have put her through the ordeal of another flight.

That's the bad news. The good news is that other people have shipped dogs over with no probs whatsoever.

My two cats flew to Spain and again flew here and were calmer than I was.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:00 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Ikea also do duvets and a nice range of covers, if you are not near a store you can buy online. No more Birds custard?!!!!! Better stock up now then!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Please Please Help Me...dogs and visas and what would you bring

Hello Kate thanks for the ideas do you know they are going to stop making Birds custard???? SHOCK HORROR. I loath the smell of fabreze but like the kennel disinfectants (they work better too). So I will stock up on them and chocolate will be hard to miss. I took 500 bars with me for family from here for Christmas my American relatives miss UK chocloate lol.

Anyone any ideas if you can buy duvets out there or shall I just ship some from here. Cant seam to find any online.
Duckie here.
You did not state (or I missed) where you will be in the USA. There are Target stores in nearly every town. They sell Duvets. The biggest problem is the naming convention.. the size is King, Full/Queen, and Twin. Twin is a "single size" and Full is close to the "Double" size. King is a very large bed.

Regarding Brit Food - supplies.. most International foods stores carry British goods otherwise you have to go online. My husband and I found an Indian food store that has the Bird's Custard and other British food.

As far as language you may have to get used to us..

1. Do not go to a restaurant and ask for Spotted Dick, Bubbles and Squeak, or Faggots and Peas
2. Our 2 lane roads are not Dual carriage ways.
3. When a house is on fire we do not say "it is a light".
4. Pudding is a custard not a cake
5. A fag is a cigarette
6. Sweet Bread is a Sticky Bun not sheep testicles.
7. Most of us use our fork in the right hand with the prongs facing up (as opposed to the left hand down ward facing) and our knives are used to cut food rather than push food onto the fork.
8. Don't use the term "knock up" as in "I will knock you up later".

Welcome to the USA!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:05 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Careful with the chocolate.. if the treat your baggage like they treated mine You would have to trash all the yummy bars
Birds custard?? What is that?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:07 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1Duckie
Duckie here.
You did not state (or I missed) where you will be in the USA. There are Target stores in nearly every town. They sell Duvets. The biggest problem is the naming convention.. the size is King, Full/Queen, and Twin. Twin is a "single size" and Full is close to the "Double" size. King is a very large bed.

Regarding Brit Food - supplies.. most International foods stores carry British goods otherwise you have to go online. My husband and I found an Indian food store that has the Bird's Custard and other British food.

As far as language you may have to get used to us..

1. Do not go to a restaurant and ask for Spotted Dick, Bubbles and Squeak, or Faggots and Peas
2. Our 2 lane roads are not Dual carriage ways.
3. When a house is on fire we do not say "it is a light".
4. Pudding is a custard not a cake
5. A fag is a cigarette
6. Sweet Bread is a Sticky Bun not sheep testicles.
7. Most of us use our fork in the right hand with the prongs facing up (as opposed to the left hand down ward facing) and our knives are used to cut food rather than push food onto the fork.
8. Don't use the term "knock up" as in "I will knock you up later".

Welcome to the USA!

LOL Brit expressions can be easily miss-understood with naughty terms:scared:
I am glad I am Spanish!! lol
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:08 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
It's a cheap yellow version of Creme Catalan.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Careful with the chocolate.. if the treat your baggage like they treated mine You would have to trash all the yummy bars
LOL! It's a warm vanilla pouring kind of dressing(?) that we Brits like to have on hot desserts, and very nice too!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
You explained it so much better than I!!!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie

Oh! I see, thanks girlie.
Crema Catalana is yummy!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.