Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please help me clarify what I need to do to fly my 2 cats and dog back to the UK

Wikiposts

Please help me clarify what I need to do to fly my 2 cats and dog back to the UK

Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:45 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me clarify what I need to do to fly my 2 cats and dog back to the UK

The 6 mths Quarantine starts from the day the bloods are taken and not from the date you get the results.....My cats blood results took a mth to come back.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me clarify what I need to do to fly my 2 cats and dog back to the UK

Originally Posted by sans
The 6 mths Quarantine starts from the day the bloods are taken and not from the date you get the results.....My cats blood results took a mth to come back.
... I agree, also you do not have to wait 6 months to begin the latter stages of the process (third country cert, etc.). I believe the 6 month requirements is the time between the blood draw (assuming it comes back positive) and entering the country (though I think I've read that some carriers require the 6 months to be up by the time the animal is boarded ... pretty sure I remember a post saying this is how the QM2/Cunard are ...)

So many picky little things to remember with the whole PETs thing, no wonder those of us who went through it ended up being paranoid by the end.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:27 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
... I agree, also you do not have to wait 6 months to begin the latter stages of the process (third country cert, etc.). I believe the 6 month requirements is the time between the blood draw (assuming it comes back positive) and entering the country (though I think I've read that some carriers require the 6 months to be up by the time the animal is boarded ... pretty sure I remember a post saying this is how the QM2/Cunard are ...)

So many picky little things to remember with the whole PETs thing, no wonder those of us who went through it ended up being paranoid by the end.
Its got to be know less then 6 mths to the day before they enter the UK and customs go over the paper work with a fine tooth comb Or at least they did at Manchester all the dates on the certs everything has to be spot on.......The vets i used didn't have a clue, and neither did i at the time I can laugh now but i was crying at the time Errrrrr
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Its got to be know less then 6 mths to the day before they enter the UK and customs go over the paper work with a fine tooth comb Or at least they did at Manchester all the dates on the certs everything has to be spot on.......The vets i used didn't have a clue, and neither did i at the time I can laugh now but i was crying at the time Errrrrr
My vets said that they had done the PETS thing before, but as soon as I gave them the forms to fill out for my two cats, they seemed a bit puzzled with the process, so I have been the one that has kept them on their toes. Double and triple check everything is my motto now. Still a bit anxious about the paperwork being correct when I do finally fly back to the UK with my two cats, but hopefully it will work out just fine.

I was originally going to fly from Chicago (nearest place I can fly out of, 4 1/2 hours drive), with BMI to Manchester, but now the route is being canceled on 14th January. Not happy about that as it really messes up getting my cats to an airport fairly close by that flies to Manchester. Oh well, I'll have to figure that out when the time comes. Wish they flew to Scotland, but alas they have no route for it yet....................
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I never said it was about me, maybe you should learn some manners.
Maybe you should learn some yourself...and whilst you're at it don't give wrong answers. Dunroving is one of the nicest guys on this forum. I on the other hand can be a beotch when I'm cranky.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:15 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Marmalade
My vets said that they had done the PETS thing before, but as soon as I gave them the forms to fill out for my two cats, they seemed a bit puzzled with the process, so I have been the one that has kept them on their toes. Double and triple check everything is my motto now. Still a bit anxious about the paperwork being correct when I do finally fly back to the UK with my two cats, but hopefully it will work out just fine.

I was originally going to fly from Chicago (nearest place I can fly out of, 4 1/2 hours drive), with BMI to Manchester, but now the route is being canceled on 14th January. Not happy about that as it really messes up getting my cats to an airport fairly close by that flies to Manchester. Oh well, I'll have to figure that out when the time comes. Wish they flew to Scotland, but alas they have no route for it yet....................
Hi M before i went to Canada my vets here had never got a cat ready for going to Canada......But she rang Defra up and found out all that she needed to do step by step. In Canada it was the opposite, i went in with everything printed out from Defra and they did nothing but complain and tell me that doesn't need to be done....this is stupid Blah de Blah Luckily their was a British veterinary nurse there from N/Z and she ended up sorting all the paper work out....Which was a god send cos by that time i was in bits :curse:

We flew back with Zoom to Man from Vancouver.... we were lucky cos they stop flying full stop afew wks after Our only other options would of been Air Canada no direct flight or BA at dbl the cost...........
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

We did this last year, San Francisco to Edinburgh. The health certificate caught me out. I wasn't able to find it online, and the vet that my friends who were dropping the cat off in San Francisco used didn't know about it either.

So our cat arrived without all the correct paperwork. However, the pet reception centre at Heathrow were really nice about it, and were able to get a vet to come out and issue a pet passport on day she arrived. He just checked over all the documentation (receipts for vaccinations, and the titer results.) It cost a pretty penny, but I was able to take her with me back up to Edinburgh that day as planned.

It was a tense day, but it all worked out.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
We did this last year, San Francisco to Edinburgh. The health certificate caught me out. I wasn't able to find it online, and the vet that my friends who were dropping the cat off in San Francisco used didn't know about it either.

So our cat arrived without all the correct paperwork. However, the pet reception centre at Heathrow were really nice about it, and were able to get a vet to come out and issue a pet passport on day she arrived. He just checked over all the documentation (receipts for vaccinations, and the titer results.) It cost a pretty penny, but I was able to take her with me back up to Edinburgh that day as planned.

It was a tense day, but it all worked out.

Good luck.
Did you fly up to Edinburgh, and if you did, how long did you have to wait re connection time?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi M before i went to Canada my vets here had never got a cat ready for going to Canada......But she rang Defra up and found out all that she needed to do step by step. In Canada it was the opposite, i went in with everything printed out from Defra and they did nothing but complain and tell me that doesn't need to be done....this is stupid Blah de Blah Luckily their was a British veterinary nurse there from N/Z and she ended up sorting all the paper work out....Which was a god send cos by that time i was in bits :curse:

We flew back with Zoom to Man from Vancouver.... we were lucky cos they stop flying full stop afew wks after Our only other options would of been Air Canada no direct flight or BA at dbl the cost...........
It's funny what people tell you and what they actually know! I am such a detail orientated person, but getting my cats back home with me is a bit of a pain, to say the least. If it was just me, I would be there right now. But, the cats are important to me and I need to figure out my options, logistics-wise, and money-wise, as none of this is cheap.

Glad you got back before Zoom quit flying
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:41 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

It's funny what people tell you and what they actually know! I am such a detail orientated person, but getting my cats back home with me is a bit of a pain, to say the least. If it was just me, I would be there right now. But, the cats are important to me and I need to figure out my options, logistics-wise, and money-wise, as none of this is cheap.

Glad you got back before Zoom quit flying
Whens your xmas flight home?? You should be nearly packed and ready
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Whens your xmas flight home?? You should be nearly packed and ready
You're joking right, packed

My flight is on Saturday, and I usually pack the same day. I'm the biggest procrastinator when it comes to myself
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:45 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

You're joking right, packed

My flight is on Saturday, and I usually pack the same day. I'm the biggest procrastinator when it comes to myself
TUT!!! Hope your packing your woolies
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

TUT!!! Hope your packing your woolies
How cold is it there? I can't go by what my mother says, as she says it's "bloody freezing" every time I talk to her, no matter what time of the year it is
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Did you fly up to Edinburgh, and if you did, how long did you have to wait re connection time?
Yes, I flew up to Edinburgh on BMI. I did not fly in with the cat from the US though, I was already in the UK when she arrived. So I flew down to London from Edinburgh that morning, and back up in the evening.

Are you trying to figure out what the process of receiving your pets and then getting on to the LHR -> Edinburgh flight would be?

My understanding is that you have to go physically receive your pets from the animal reception centre in heathrow, even if you are connecting to elsewhere in the UK. It is located about a 10 minute walk from terminal 4. They have a little lounge that you can wait in whilst they organize everything with your pets. Once she was released they called a taxi for me and they took me directly to terminal 1, where the BMI flight left from (about 10 - 15 min journey.) I had already checked in, but had to drop my 'baggage' off (ie. the cat.) When I arrived at Edinburgh there was some confusion as to where she'd arrive. I was pretty angry because I had to wait almost an hour and it was freezing outside, but she was in oversized luggage and she was fine.

You should give the animal reception centre a call if you have any questions, they were really helpful. http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...ion_centre.htm

Probably the biggest thing to worry about is how they'll get used to the weather, Astrid is curled up in front of the radiator right now. You can take the cat out of California etc...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:51 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

How cold is it there? I can't go by what my mother says, as she says it's "bloody freezing" every time I talk to her, no matter what time of the year it is
Bloody Freezing Trust your mother haha ............Its sunny but freezing where i am in north linc's .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.