Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please Help ~ Advice On Bringing 3yr Old Son To Uk To Live

Please Help ~ Advice On Bringing 3yr Old Son To Uk To Live

Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:34 am
Just Joined

mamabear7256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please Help ~ Advice On Bringing 3yr Old Son To Uk To Live

no cannot find a free lawyer. everyone wants money i haven't got and i keep getting the run around from people
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:22 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Please Help ~ Advice On Bringing 3yr Old Son To Uk To Live

Originally Posted by mamabear7256
I am just trying to figure out the quickest way to get this done without wasting too much time. My brother is not doing good and i need to also be home to be with him.

I appreciate all the help this has all just boggled my mind and no matter who i email just get passed around or say they cannot help
Although the link below is written from a UK perspective, it has some very useful advice/tips:

http://www.expatwomen.com/expat-wome...macdougall.php

I suggest you take legal advice, but here is a sample agreement to allow an American child to travel overseas and perhaps you could print it off for reference:

http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/child-travel-consent/

PS. Do you have a US passport yourself? It is in your best interest to have US citizenship if you have an American child.

PPS. Which State are you resident in?
(One thing you could try is to look under the listings for 'Catholic Charities'. You don't have to be a Catholic, they often can help refer people on limited income for free legal assistance).

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 4th 2012 at 3:25 am.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A local women's shelter should at least be able to give a referral to a competent attorney and/or source of low-cost legal advice.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

I just wanted to say I am sorry you're going thru this. I realize you want to get out of there and back home as very soon as possible.
I don't have any advice on getting legal representation but I can say I've had to go thru something similar to you and have had to get agreement from my children's father for permission to take them out of the country (we have joint custody officially- although he has virtually had nothing to do with them for years now). I have the approval but have not yet sent in our papers yet so I can't say for certain that this approval will work, but judging from all the websites, all you need is a signed and notarized letter from the father stating you have his permission to take your child out of the country to live in the UK. A lawyer does not need to draw the letter up either, you can do that yourself, and since you live with him take him (the father) yourself to a notary to get it signed.
Regarding getting your child into the UK on a US passport, if at all possible it would be best if you had a UK passport or British Registration of birth abroad certificate. But that being said it's never been a problem to take my children into any other country on their US passports.
Best of luck to you. Personally, my first step in your situation would be securing a letter of approval from your child's father and at the same time you can get him to sign a letter in front of a notary stating that you have his permission to obtain a US passport for your child. Then work on getting that.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you were born in the uk and therefore are not a citizen by descent yourself then you child is automatically British by descent. You don't need to register for that and can apply for a passport using any birth certificate which proves that you are the mother and also your passport and your birth certificate to prove that you are British and born in the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:08 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a general suggestion:

Get all this paperwork together before you talk to your ex. While he might be willing to let the child live with you overseas at this moment (when it's all sort of a hypothetical) when you confront him with the actual papers or say "ok, let's go to the passport office" then it might get a bit more realistic for him such that he says 'hey, wait a minute, I've changed my mind.'

When you do start this conversation and if he is willing to sign, you want to get his name down on paper pretty much right away and without hesitation.

If you are in a slightly larger town, you might want to see if the local university has a law school. Some of the law schools run clinics with their students, or work with local legal aid organizations to help provide no- to low-cost legal services as part of the training process.

If you are willing to share with us the state you live in, we can help you research some of the legal aid organizations nearby (you can also PM some of us if you'd prefer not to say in an open forum).
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Please Help ~ Advice On Bringing 3yr Old Son To Uk To Live

By the way....you may wish to clear your cookies/web browsing history if your soon to be ex decides to check what you have been doing online.....
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you get the letter of sole legal custody/allowing you to remove the child from the US and live in the UK notorised by a qualified attorney. For a notary to be recognised for legal purposes in the UK he/she must be a qualified practising solicitor. For example....if you use a notary who works at the post office it may suffice as far as the UK is concerned.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:51 pm

Lightbulb Re: Please Help ~ Advice On Bringing 3yr Old Son To Uk To Live

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I suggest you get the letter of sole legal custody/allowing you to remove the child from the US and live in the UK notorised by a qualified attorney. For a notary to be recognised for legal purposes in the UK he/she must be a qualified practising solicitor. For example....if you use a notary who works at the post office it may suffice as far as the UK is concerned.
In my town you can get documents notarised at the local public library (free of charge ). Also the motoring organisation AAA also has a notary in our local area.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
In my town you can get documents notarised at the local public library (free of charge ). Also the motoring organisation AAA also has a notary in our local area.
Almost anyone in North America can become a notary...my daughter is a notary...this is not the case in the UK. AFAIK if you require documents for legal purposes the UK only recognises a notary who is a qualified practising solicitor. We went through this when purchasing property in the UK...we had to submit notarised documents. The original documents we had notarised were not acceptable and we had submit new documents notarised by a qualified practising attorney/solicitor.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2012 at 8:35 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:15 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
To get your US passport, you need:

1) both parents to appear in person when you apply for the passport (which is done at many, but not all post offices), or:
2) One parent plus the other parent having signed and notarized form DS 3053, (http://travel.state.gov/passport/for...s3053_846.html) or:
3) One parent plus a court order saying you have sole legal custody / a court order saying you have the right to international travel.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...tml#step7minor

As I've mentioned above, my advice is to get a court order of custody and settle this matter once and for all. An attorney / legal aid group can sort this out very quickly and you would have:

a) a consent letter that you have sole custody.
b) a consent letter that you can take the child overseas.
c) a signed copy of the passport form DS 3053 (just in case) or have him show up at the post office when you apply.

All need to be notarized. You can have a notary come with you to get them signed. Once that is done your lawyer will goto the court and get the custody sorted and you'll not have to worry about that again.

I'd really recommend talking to the legal aid folks. Did you find any in the phone book where you live? This is slightly more than a DIY project with the help of a messageboard. You should talk to some professionals to make sure you don't waste time or money.
Sorry but per point one thats completely untrue, we got both our daughters passports a couple of years ago through the mail, i'm british she is american, i think only my wife had to be somewhere, i never had to turn up.

Last edited by ldollard; Sep 5th 2012 at 12:18 am.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:50 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Sorry but per point one thats completely untrue, we got both our daughters passports a couple of years ago through the mail, i'm british she is american, i think only my wife had to be somewhere, i never had to turn up.
That list comes from the State Department website and is in response to the two-parent consent law that took effect in 2008 (or 2009?). You might have gotten your daughters before that perhaps.

If you got it after, I think if you re-read the list you will notice it is an 'or' list. Either both parents, or one with the form, or one with the custody. When you got your passport you probably filled out form DS3053 as part of the application process (which granted your consent to her appearing to get the passport without you).

If you are renewing a passport however I think it can all be done in the mail. If it is a first time you have to appear at someplace like a Post Office where they verify the pictures/IDs and then mail it to the passport office. The passports are then sent back to you in the mail.

Last edited by penguinsix; Sep 5th 2012 at 2:53 am.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:17 am
Just Joined

mamabear7256 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
By the way....you may wish to clear your cookies/web browsing history if your soon to be ex decides to check what you have been doing online.....
Thankyou.........I do even though he doesn't have access to my laptop and is password protected
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ldollard
We just got both our daughters passports (3 and 1 years old) I'm English and my husband is American and we both HAD to be there in person to sign the forms in front of the woman at the post office with photographic ID. The only way 1 parent can be there is if you print off a form and get a notary to sign it (for example if 1 parent cannot get time from work to attend the appointment)
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:19 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

i think i got theirs in 2008, so i guess the rules have changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.