Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pets to UK - Rabies Titer Test

Pets to UK - Rabies Titer Test

Old Jun 17th 2015, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pets to UK - Rabies Titer Test

Last summer I was making plans for my dogs to return to the UK with me in July. My plans were halted for work reasons but I am now leaving the middle of next month with the dogs.

I am now living in a different part of the state - about 40 miles from the previous location - and thought I could perhaps use a more local vet to finish the paperwork that was begun last year for the dogs. They have their rabies shots completed and the microchips inserted. The APHIS paperwork was prepared but not yet approved by the USDA because my plans were halted before that point.

It makes more sense for a number of reasons to return to the original vet to complete the process which I will do; however, in my discussion with this other, more local vet's office this afternoon, I was informed by the Office Manager (not a vet) that a rabies titer test is necessary and the results take about eight weeks!! I am unable to verify this with the vet I dealt with last summer because he is out today but I don't recall he mentioned a titer test at all. I won't be able to find out until at least tomorrow when he returns but it has me concerned because flights are already booked for next month and many other arrangements completed.

I know titer tests are required for some countries but I seem to recall it is not necessary to have this when flying pets from the USA to the UK. Can someone please confirm this. It is quite worrisome. (They will be flying Denver to Manchester).
Old Jun 17th 2015, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets to UK - Rabies Titer Test

It would appear that rabies titer tests are only required for animals coming from certain countries that are deemed high risk for rabies - and the USA is not one of those countries so I think you are OK. See attached government link for verification:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...rs#vaccination
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets to UK - Rabies Titer Test

Originally Posted by Lorac05
It would appear that rabies titer tests are only required for animals coming from certain countries that are deemed high risk for rabies - and the USA is not one of those countries so I think you are OK. See attached government link for verification:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...rs#vaccination
Thank you. That is what I thought, too. Fortunately just 10 minutes ago I received a call from the vet telling me the titer test is no longer necessary.

Now back to packing and trying to sell my vehicle!