Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

PETS scheme paperwork on arrival in UK

Wikiposts

PETS scheme paperwork on arrival in UK

Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PETS scheme paperwork on arrival in UK

Hint - don't book a flight for the dogs on a Monday! It's difficult to comply with the tick and tapeworm bit between 24 and 48 hours prior to the flight due to limited or lack of vet availability over weekends.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Arganth is an unknown quantity at this point

Just spoken to DEFRA regarding our three cats. When we moved here to France 2 1/2 years ago, we didn't need to have the blood tests done, and the vet even recommended it, in order to save on the costs.

Now we're looking to move back, and DEFRA say we now need the blood tests done, and THEN the 6 month wait. I asked why, if the 6 month wait is necessary to ensure rabies hasn't spread since vaccination (as quoted from their website), a negative blood test 2 years later won't have exactly the same effect. Absolutely no joy. I would suggest you ensure everything is done to the letter.

I think we're going to have find some 'foster parents' for 6 months !
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:53 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd add that your Rabies jab has to be up to date (annual, I believe) as well. (probably stating the blindingly obvious here!)
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Fred Ramaniah is an unknown quantity at this point

The vet made an error when putting the date of microchipping on the central database. The Rabies vaccination is therefore shown on my cat's pet passport as having been done prior to the microchipping. DEFRA says that this means I have to start the process all over again, and this includes 6 months in uaranteen.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Just thought I would post this as it may help some. I have just started on the process of getting my dog ready to go back from the US. He was microchipped as a pup in 2005 (in CA) and given a 3 year booster rabies in 2008 (in TN). I checked with DEFRA the other day regarding the 3 year rabies and they said that was fine. Also because his microchip was done a different year and different vet to where he goes now I emailed DEFRA and this was their reply:

Please be advised that the pet must have been prepared in the correct order (Microchip, then vaccination, then blood test). If your pet has been prepared in this order then if your vet can identify the animal by scanning the chip, and is confident the pet is fully compliant, the vet may procede with completing the relevant documentation.

Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:03 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

I just had my 2 cats bloods taken for the titre / FAVN test.

According to the lab's website the actual processing of the test costs $US47 each, yet my Vet just charged me $477!!!!!

I know thats going to include labor (time spent drawing blood - all of 10 mins, and packaging), the packaging and postage overnight to Kansas, and regual mail back for the rsults, but PLEASE!:curse:

Does anyone else think this is a little excessive. I did have a moan but they wouldnt budge!

And generally, does anyone else find that vets bills are so much more expensive here in the US? They hardly ever had problems in the UK, and I think I've spend over $5000 on them in the last 18 months! grrrr
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
I just had my 2 cats bloods taken for the titre / FAVN test.

According to the lab's website the actual processing of the test costs $US47 each, yet my Vet just charged me $477!!!!!

I know thats going to include labor (time spent drawing blood - all of 10 mins, and packaging), the packaging and postage overnight to Kansas, and regual mail back for the rsults, but PLEASE!:curse:

Does anyone else think this is a little excessive. I did have a moan but they wouldnt budge!

And generally, does anyone else find that vets bills are so much more expensive here in the US? They hardly ever had problems in the UK, and I think I've spend over $5000 on them in the last 18 months! grrrr
Yes I do! I had my dog's blood test a couple of weeks ago and my vet charged me $40 Kansas state fee and $35 Fedex fee.

Oh and $41.35 to draw blood, do paperwork etc.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:04 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply!

:curse:I'm even madder now!

Do you think I should officially complain! Esp as they didnt tell me what they were going to charge me until after the fact!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Thanks for your reply!

:curse:I'm even madder now!

Do you think I should officially complain! Esp as they didnt tell me what they were going to charge me until after the fact!
Sorry didn't want to make you mad. Yes I do, did they give you a complete breakdown of the bill, how are they justifying that cost. No medical treatment was given, drawing blood and filling paperwork out takes about ten minutes, Kansas state fee $80 for both cats and the fedex fee. By my reckoning it should be no more than $200. Mine as you can see was just over $118 for one dog.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:23 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Originally Posted by Patzy
Sorry didn't want to make you mad. Yes I do, did they give you a complete breakdown of the bill, how are they justifying that cost. No medical treatment was given, drawing blood and filling paperwork out takes about ten minutes, Kansas state fee $80 for both cats and the fedex fee. By my reckoning it should be no more than $200. Mine as you can see was just over $118 for one dog.

thats ok you were just doing what i was asking! not your fault.

the receptionist was really apologetic - even she thought it was high, so she went to check, and said that was their costs included. I figured it would prpbably be around $250. No breakdown was gievn. Maybe I'll ring them and moan again.