Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

PETs scheme - another panic

PETs scheme - another panic

Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default PETs scheme - another panic

OK, something just popped into my head as I was reading the DEFRA site (again - I know it back to front by now).

Has anyone returning from the US had a problem with the bloody contrary way that the date is written in the States? I mean, my dog's rabies certificate and (I'm presuming) the blood test form they sent to the lab have the month written first, not second. So, the blood test form will probably say something like blood drawn 1/4/06 (really 4th January, but looks like 1st April), and I presume the lab will reply tested positive 2/4/06 (4th Feb, but looks like 2nd April).

Does DEFRA just say bloody Yanks and interpret the dates, or am I screwed? (I couldn't find anything that says "THE DATE MUST BE WRITTEN IN THE FORM DD/MM/YYY", but I don't want to assume anything).

Also, one other thing: I thought someone said recently that there no longer is a "passport" (it's all forms), but I see references to getting an EU passport on the DEFRA site.

[OK, I answered the last question by looking further into the DEFRA site: "For dogs and cats being prepared for pets in a non-EU listed country you should get an official third country veterinary certificate. "]

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 18th 2006 at 10:52 am.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:03 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PETs scheme - another panic

Hi
I did a search for this 'official third country veterinary certificate' to see if it was a specific form that had to be used or if a normal form issued by the vet would do. I found this:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/ir...s/no_cn_hc.pdf

Some parts of the form do say the date should be formatted (DD/MM/YY)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:48 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

take them back to your vet. the date format has to be correct. DD/M/YYYY.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, something just popped into my head as I was reading the DEFRA site (again - I know it back to front by now).

Has anyone returning from the US had a problem with the bloody contrary way that the date is written in the States? I mean, my dog's rabies certificate and (I'm presuming) the blood test form they sent to the lab have the month written first, not second. So, the blood test form will probably say something like blood drawn 1/4/06 (really 4th January, but looks like 1st April), and I presume the lab will reply tested positive 2/4/06 (4th Feb, but looks like 2nd April).

Does DEFRA just say bloody Yanks and interpret the dates, or am I screwed? (I couldn't find anything that says "THE DATE MUST BE WRITTEN IN THE FORM DD/MM/YYY", but I don't want to assume anything).

Also, one other thing: I thought someone said recently that there no longer is a "passport" (it's all forms), but I see references to getting an EU passport on the DEFRA site.

[OK, I answered the last question by looking further into the DEFRA site: "For dogs and cats being prepared for pets in a non-EU listed country you should get an official third country veterinary certificate. "]
Lab certificate should come back D/M/Y or with a format indicator(part of approval standard), even if submission was m/d/y.

LotL has answered the vet cert. worries - all confusable date entries are requested in D/M/Y

Keep hold of these certs/forms, you should be able to get a UK vet to convert the info to a 'Pet Passport' once you are resident in the UK/EU, which will remain valid as long as the (rabies) boosters are maintained at m'facturer's recommendations.

I am still in awe at your penchant for interrogating minutiae

Hope all is well, and S.Wales is ready, Gerry.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Polyphemus
Lab certificate should come back D/M/Y or with a format indicator(part of approval standard), even if submission was m/d/y.
Where is this mentioned on ANY Defra documents? I can't find it. My Vet certificate is dd/mm/yyyy but all my other stuff is in mm/dd/yyyy...too late to change it now!

Also what is everyone lining their dogs crate with? My dog will eat the suggested shredded newspaper!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by immunise
Where is this mentioned on ANY Defra documents?
wouldn't expect it to be

I can't find itI'm not surprised, was only in early vet only bulletins .

My Vet certificate is dd/mm/yyyy but all my other stuff is in mm/dd/yyyy...too late to change it now! and no need to. The vet cert qualifies that all other assoc. forms are chronologically correct as per PETS

Also what is everyone lining their dogs crate with? My dog will eat the suggested shredded newspaper!Most people are using VetBed I believe.

Good luck - you have no worries, Dunroving has a habit of producing worst-case scenarios to try us
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck - you have no worries, Dunroving has a habit of producing worst-case scenarios to try us
Phew! Nearly needed some Pampers there! I have to look into this VetBed though...thanks for the advice!!!

Paul
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, does anyone know where to get VetBed in the USA? It seems to be a UK only product.

Thanks

Paul
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, does anyone know where to get VetBed in the USA? It seems to be a UK only product.

Thanks

Paul
I've looked and looked and haven't yet been able to find it - so if you do find it, let us know.

Someone could make a killing here on certain dog products if they'd just import them. Another is the "pooper scooper" (small plastic handle you keep in your pocket along with a plastic bag). Only similar thing I've seen here has a 3 foot handle on it.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:16 pm
Ping-ponger

I am still in awe at your penchant for interrogating minutiae

Hope all is well, and S.Wales is ready, Gerry.
Yes, I have a reputation for being very detail oriented (polite way of saying I'm obsessive, I think). One of my students gave me an excellent teaching evaluation score, but in his comments said I made him paranoid. Think that says it all.

I'll keep you informed on the job developments when and if they happen ... the academic posts for upcoming fall are starting to appear more often ...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks

Paul
Quick search could find this:

http://www.all-dog-beds.com/index.html

look at 'chewproof' [canine oxymoron ] + lambswool fleece - looks like vetbed, tho looks can be deceptive.

or look at the crate pads under 'dog pillows' (look comfy)

Remember to check with your shipper how much padding they allow, and how much absorbency they require
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:22 pm
Ping-ponger

Just to add confirmation to what was already said, I received the following email from the DEFRA Helpline:

Good Morning,

It should not cause any problems on entry to the UK that the dates on the Rabies Certificate and Blood Test results are recorded as month/date/year rather than date/month/year as we are obviously aware this is the standard format used in the US. You must make sure that when the Official Veterinary Certificate is completed the dates are recorded as date/month/year.

Regards

Claire XXXXX
PETS Helpline

- I can tell you I'll be keeping hard copies of all these emails to have with me when the time comes ....
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just to add confirmation to what was already said, I received the following email from the DEFRA Helpline:

Good Morning,

It should not cause any problems on entry to the UK that the dates on the Rabies Certificate and Blood Test results are recorded as month/date/year rather than date/month/year as we are obviously aware this is the standard format used in the US. You must make sure that when the Official Veterinary Certificate is completed the dates are recorded as date/month/year.

Regards

Claire XXXXX
PETS Helpline

- I can tell you I'll be keeping hard copies of all these emails to have with me when the time comes ....
Now would be the time to tell you how I obsessed over blue ink and black on the certificate. (seriously)
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scout
Now would be the time to tell you how I obsessed over blue ink and black on the certificate. (seriously)

Obsession possibly, but at times we could not use black for PETS certs (or any DEFRA docs - easier to photocopy / forge) = many hours spent running round the practice looking for a green pen (red was so angry! ). There are a few PETS out there of mine own hand in a vibrant purple!

Claire/Dunroving, I would advise writing only in blood , sweat or tears

Hope all is still going well - I assume the titres were fine? Gerry
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:37 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Completely off the subject, where in Wales are you Scout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.