Wikiposts

PETS passport scheme

Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default PETS passport scheme

Am I doing something wrong, or is it that only a limited number of vets here cater for people wanting to take their pets to the UK? When I call vets I am asking them if they participate in the PETS scheme, and the people answering the phone (not necessarily the vets I guess) are saying not.

I am trying to get a vet around here that does the rabies shot, microchipping and such, AND the blood test to the right place so that I can take my cat to the UK affordably. The alternative of course is quarantine which is going to cost around 1700 pounds, not including the flight.

How are people managing to get this for their pets and take them to the UK?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:58 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PETS passport scheme

Originally Posted by cathy22w
Am I doing something wrong, or is it that only a limited number of vets here cater for people wanting to take their pets to the UK? When I call vets I am asking them if they participate in the PETS scheme, and the people answering the phone (not necessarily the vets I guess) are saying not.

I am trying to get a vet around here that does the rabies shot, microchipping and such, AND the blood test to the right place so that I can take my cat to the UK affordably. The alternative of course is quarantine which is going to cost around 1700 pounds, not including the flight.

How are people managing to get this for their pets and take them to the UK?
I think you are probably talking to front desk staff who have no idea what the correct answer is. Even if a vet has done a PETs animal in the past, be warned that you will probably need to take the lead and make sure everything gets done right. It's a bit of a scary thought, but US vets generally do so few of these that they can't be expected to know what they are doing.

There are stacks of BE people who have gone through the process (including me) and so you'll find lots of advice as you go through the process. But you might just have to pick a vet and steer him/her for the next 5 months.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Rule Number 1 - Assume that no one in any Vet's office including the Vet has a clue about the PETS Passport Scheme (Even if they say they have done it all before). If you trust the Vet and let them do it all their way...........trust me.........THEY WILL MUCK IT UP if you don't stay on top of them every single step of the way.

All that being said.......you can get it done by sticking to the following steps:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

STEPS FOR SHIPPING YOUR PET FROM THE US TO THE UK.

[NOTE: Before you do ANY of the following, you must get your pet microchipped so that all records can be linked with your pet]

1. Get the rabies shot.

2. Wait about 4 weeks and have your Vet draw blood and send to the Kansas Lab for results.

3. Once you get the results of the titer test wait 6 months.

4. Have the certificate endorsed by the USDA (Federal) Vet ....this is not the same thing as a USDA Certified Vet. A lot of Vets are USDA certified but the Federal Vet works for the USDA......once the certificate is endorsed it's good for 4 months....if you don't leave the country in that time frame, the Federal Vet must endorse a new certificate. Make sure you do not let your rabies vaccination expire. Get it renewed at least a month before it is due to expire.

5. Once you are ready to fly and have your date booked, get a Health Certificate to fly your pet out of the country. It must be issued within 10 days of travel. This is not the same certificate as the UK Pet Travel Scheme one. This is the certificate required by the airline to fly any animal in the US anywhere. This certificate may say that the Federal Vet needs to endorse it as well and British Cargo incorrectly advised us it must be endorsed by the Federal Vet, but the USDA tells us it is not required..........I had the Federal Vet endrorse it anyway (on the day we flew out no less) because after all the wrong advice we got from our Vet and maybe inadvertantly BA Cargo, I no longer trusted anyone to know what they were talking about.

6. Between 24 and 48 hours of travel, have your Vet give the dog the tick and tapeworm treatment. Make sure to read the DEFRA requirements for the proper drug that must be used. Make sure your vet completes the Pet Travel certificate regarding the tick/tapeworm treatment.

7. BA requires that you arrive at cargo with your pet at least 4 hours before flying. .........when you count that extra time, the length of the flight and the time it takes to pet to clear customs, you are probably going to have a somewhat soiled and smelly dog on your hands when you collect her/him. BA was great at Gatwick for helping us to clean our dog Scout up and provided loads of blankets for her to rest on in the car. Our dog messed her crate 5 minutes before we picked her up. If British Customs had been a bit more speedy and hadn't taken 4 hours to clear her we would have been fine. DEFRA cleared her almost immediately, but Customs took their time.

Original Post written by Scout.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Rule Number 1 - Assume that no one in any Vet's office including the Vet has a clue about the PETS Passport Scheme (Even if they say they have done it all before). If you trust the Vet and let them do it all their way...........trust me.........THEY WILL MUCK IT UP if you don't stay on top of them every single step of the way.

All that being said.......you can get it done by sticking to the following steps:

[NOTE: Before you do ANY of the following, you must get your pet microchipped so that all records can be linked with your pet]

1. Get the rabies shot.

2. Wait about 4 weeks and have your Vet draw blood and send to the Kansas Lab for results.

4. Have the certificate endorsed by the USDA (Federal) Vet ....this is not the same thing as a USDA Certified Vet. A lot of Vets are USDA certified but the Federal Vet works for the USDA......once the certificate is endorsed it's good for 4 months....if you don't leave the country in that time frame, the Federal Vet must endorse a new certificate. Make sure you do not let your rabies vaccination expire. Get it renewed at least a month before it is due to expire.

5. Once you are ready to fly and have your date booked, get a Health Certificate to fly your pet out of the country. It must be issued within 10 days of travel. This is not the same certificate as the UK Pet Travel Scheme one. This is the certificate required by the airline to fly any animal in the US anywhere. This certificate may say that the Federal Vet needs to endorse it as well and British Cargo incorrectly advised us it must be endorsed by the Federal Vet, but the USDA tells us it is not required..........I had the Federal Vet endrorse it anyway (on the day we flew out no less) because after all the wrong advice we got from our Vet and maybe inadvertantly BA Cargo, I no longer trusted anyone to know what they were talking about.

6. Between 24 and 48 hours of travel, have your Vet give the dog the tick and tapeworm treatment. Make sure to read the DEFRA requirements for the proper drug that must be used. Make sure your vet completes the Pet Travel certificate regarding the tick/tapeworm treatment.

7. BA requires that you arrive at cargo with your pet at least 4 hours before flying. .........when you count that extra time, the length of the flight and the time it takes to pet to clear customs, you are probably going to have a somewhat soiled and smelly dog on your hands when you collect her/him. BA was great at Gatwick for helping us to clean our dog Scout up and provided loads of blankets for her to rest on in the car. Our dog messed her crate 5 minutes before we picked her up. If British Customs had been a bit more speedy and hadn't taken 4 hours to clear her we would have been fine. DEFRA cleared her almost immediately, but Customs took their time.

Thanks for dredging that up, I couldn't find a copy and didn't feel like retyping the whole story. Don't we have this in a post-it or Wiki?

It's worth bearing in mind that in the middle there, they don't need to wait 6 months. The 6 months is between taking the blood draw for the rabies titer test and returning to the UK. So if the positive test comes through three weeks after the blood draw, you are already 3 weeks into the 6 month period. You can also work on getting the third country cert before 6 months is out. But you have to get the timing right, 'cos if you try to enter on 5 months and 30 days, poochie goes into quarantine for a day (not cheap).

If in doubt, remember Rule Number 1
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Yea it's in Wiki now....that's where I linked it too. I'm thinking I should be getting royalties as many times as we've posted it here
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Yea it's in Wiki now....that's where I linked it too. I'm thinking I should be getting royalties as many times as we've posted it here
Thanks all... this is great information.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

Hey Cathy

I was in the exact same situation as you a few years back....we went to a vet in Mountaintop PA - Not far from you !

Anyway the vet didnt have much of a clue about the whole process but we got the dog chipped and some paperwork done but then my dear wife decided it was best to give her beloved 200lb St Bernard to another family in the Poconos and move to the UK with me alone so we aborted the process half way through....i have some info and help located on my hard drive somewhere...i remember having to wait 6 weeks after the bloodwork then send off the results - it was very complicated. PM me if you need any thing and Ill see what i can dig out.

Cu
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

1. Get the rabies shot.

Great post - the important thing is getting the form signed by the USDA vet - we had everything done by the local vet and then went to the federal vet for sign - be aware there arent that many of them - we were in New York and there was one based out of JFK and one over in New Jersey near Newark.