Reload this Page >

Pet travel from USA to UK?

Pet travel from USA to UK?

Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Laurence1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet travel from USA to UK?

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for pet travel firms moving dogs from the USA back to the UK?
We've (hopefully) done all the DEFRA stuff but when we moved to New York 5years ago the people we used in the UK didn't even give us the right waybill number for our dogs.

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks Laurence
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Pet travel from USA to UK?

Originally Posted by Laurence1962
Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for pet travel firms moving dogs from the USA back to the UK?
We've (hopefully) done all the DEFRA stuff but when we moved to New York 5years ago the people we used in the UK didn't even give us the right waybill number for our dogs.

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks Laurence
I'm sure that this has been covered a few times in the past....try the Search or Advanced Search via the icon at the top of this page (in the pink heading).

Also consider taking your dog back to the UK via the Queen Mary 2 cruise ship; some returning expats have done this (more cheaply even than flying for passengers and pets!)...actually look up posts by Calle as she went into great detail about her (wonderful) experience on this ship. She was able to visit her dog daily at the kennels on board the ship, it's probably less stressful for an animal too than going as air cargo.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:46 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet travel from USA to UK?

Aw, hey, you remember me, Britishmum?
Yes, I would recommend this. It was absolutely luverly!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm sure that this has been covered a few times in the past....try the Search or Advanced Search via the icon at the top of this page (in the pink heading).

Also consider taking your dog back to the UK via the Queen Mary 2 cruise ship; some returning expats have done this (more cheaply even than flying for passengers and pets!)...actually look up posts by Calle as she went into great detail about her (wonderful) experience on this ship. She was able to visit her dog daily at the kennels on board the ship, it's probably less stressful for an animal too than going as air cargo.
Has anyone received a recent quote for the Queen Mary 2 for taking dogs? Just tried to call them but they were closed..
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Has anyone received a recent quote for the Queen Mary 2 for taking dogs? Just tried to call them but they were closed..
Find their website and email them you're planning a trip - they allocate a personal advisor.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

We sorted it all out ourselves. it wasnt that hard actually. Just a matter of booking the dogs on the flight, and then turning up to the flight.

It saved a lot of cash, and we knew that they were ok. The only problem we faced was our vet hadnt done things properly, and the dogs were held in the animal reception place for 2 days and we had to pay a bit extra for a pet passport to be issued.

Even with that problem I'd still do it ourselves again.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Hi I just called Cunard regarding a reservation for 2010. I originally wanted the sailing on the 29th April but all kennels are now reserved. I have provisionally booked the May 21st crossing. The quote, for the cheapest room, was $1445.00 pp plus $22.31 tax. Dog was $300, he is only small so probably charged the same as a cat. She did say if there are any promotions prior to the total cost becoming due, we would be eligible for them, so I guess there is a chance the total cost could go down
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patzy
Hi I just called Cunard regarding a reservation for 2010. I originally wanted the sailing on the 29th April but all kennels are now reserved. I have provisionally booked the May 21st crossing. The quote, for the cheapest room, was $1445.00 pp plus $22.31 tax. Dog was $300, he is only small so probably charged the same as a cat. She did say if there are any promotions prior to the total cost becoming due, we would be eligible for them, so I guess there is a chance the total cost could go down
Wow this is great thank you, $300 is really cheap. I haven't had any airline quotes yet; but I understand it'll be a lot more than that to fly. Our dog is a lab mix so she is not quite a full size lab.. she is about 35 lbs; so will probably be more than that; but still....

Old fat biker bloke.. thanks I will check their website out again and see if I can find the link you're talking about.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Pet travel from USA to UK?

Originally Posted by Patzy
Wow....that's an excellent price!

Also, consider that you (and your dog) won't get any jet-lag and you're having a mini-holiday on your way back to the UK!

I also understand that you have an unlimited baggage allowance so you can take a lot of stuff with you too?

On the other hand....you might put on some weight by eating all that wonderful food onboard LOL!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:16 pm

Question Re: Pet travel from USA to UK?

Originally Posted by callé
Aw, hey, you remember me, Britishmum?
Yes, I would recommend this. It was absolutely luverly!!
Yes, I don't know why - but I do remember your posts as they were so heartfelt about your longing to move back to England and then your posts about your worries with transporting your pets....I really don't like to 'blow my own trumpet' but I think it may even have been me who suggested taking a transatlantic crossing by cruiseliner rather than flying your pets to the UK (and you got a great price, cheaper than going by air?)

Are you and your family still happy to be living in England compared to Florida? I did get the impression that you feel settled in Blighty - I do hope so.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Since booking the QM2 in July for May 2010 the price has gone down from $1445.00 to $939.00 each (that's for the cheapest suite) which is a hell of a saving and cheaper than a lot of flights.... kennels are probably booked but anybody interested might get a cancellation if you keep trying.