Pet Travel Question

Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

clb19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Pet Travel Question

Hi,

I have a question and I have not found an answer in my search of this site, I hope that someone will be able help me out.

I am currently living in Glasgow and I am trying to get my cat from Denver to Glasgow. I originally planned to take him on the plane with me, but since that is not allowed I was going to put him into the cargo. I am flying an approved path. This is where my first two questions come:
  1. Is there a difference between manifest cargo and regular cargo?
  2. Has anyone ever tried to fly their pet in cargo on Lufthansa to the UK?

If I cannot bring him on the same flight then my next issue is shipper. I have been in contact with a shipping company and was quoted $1400 to fly to London. Once in London it would be an additional £450 to get him from Heathrow to Glasgow. Now for my next questions:
  1. Can I ship him on another airline as cargo even if I am not traveling with that airline?
  2. Once a pet has been cleared, what are the domestic flying policies (i.e. can I fly with him in the cabin?)?

Sorry this is so long, but it has already been 7 months without him and we are both stressing, me to get him there and him without me.

Thanks for all your advice.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default Re: Pet Travel Question

i travelled back from perth australia in october,my dog followed on in november.
we arranged shipping with a pet shipping company from perth to london,he was in the hold with the luggage in his specially built container,i then arranged for him to fly from london to glasgow with BMI ,i travelled down to london and then accompanied him back up to glasgow MUCH CHEAPER than pet travelling unaccompanied,he was once again in the hold of the plane,animals must travel as cargo, and therefor, are not allowed in with passengers {so i was told}.maybe a small cat is different.
when your pet arrives in london it will be transferred to the cargo area and it is your responsibility to collect it or have it brought to the local departure gate,i arranged for this and was charged {ripped off} £50 for what is just a 20min journey {heathrow}.
hope this helps.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Nicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really niceNicki Kefford is just really nice

Hello,

if you are here in the UK you could try Golden Arrow Shippers. Although they are based in Shropshire, they are very accommodating and transfer pets from all over the world, to and from.

Ask fo Chris or Steve on 01 588 680 240. They are very caring and are flying our dog over to Perth in Feb but we have bee to visit them and we have also had good reports about them.

Mention the Keffords and Blue; this may help put your mind at ease. let me know how you get on.

hope the cats ok,

Nicki x
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fitz
i travelled back from perth australia in october,my dog followed on in november.
we arranged shipping with a pet shipping company from perth to london,he was in the hold with the luggage in his specially built container,i then arranged for him to fly from london to glasgow with BMI ,i travelled down to london and then accompanied him back up to glasgow MUCH CHEAPER than pet travelling unaccompanied,he was once again in the hold of the plane,animals must travel as cargo, and therefor, are not allowed in with passengers {so i was told}.maybe a small cat is different.
when your pet arrives in london it will be transferred to the cargo area and it is your responsibility to collect it or have it brought to the local departure gate,i arranged for this and was charged {ripped off} £50 for what is just a 20min journey {heathrow}.
hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply. One more question, how long did it take you to go through customs. I have heard that it can take quite a long time and I only have 2 hours between flights, should I try to change that?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

our dog arrived in london at around 5.30 am and was not available to collect until 9.00am,i think this has more to do with checking the pet over, cleaning pet and container and feeding ,once pet has been cleared it's no problem,i booked return flight from glasgow and paid for pets flight from heathrow to glasgow when i got to london.
your pets clearance may be quicker as i have a large dog{spinone}
i was allowed to sit with my dog in the terminal building until flight was called after which the baggage handlers came and took dog and container away to board flight.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nicki Kefford
Hello,

if you are here in the UK you could try Golden Arrow Shippers. Although they are based in Shropshire, they are very accommodating and transfer pets from all over the world, to and from.

Ask fo Chris or Steve on 01 588 680 240. They are very caring and are flying our dog over to Perth in Feb but we have bee to visit them and we have also had good reports about them.

Mention the Keffords and Blue; this may help put your mind at ease. let me know how you get on.

hope the cats ok,

Nicki x
Thank you for your recommendation, I will definitely call them and check them out. I will let you know when he finally gets here!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Were you with your dog the entire time or can you get your animal after they are through. My pet is due to land at 10:05am and I don't arrive until 1:30pm, if it takes four hours to clear he could be out as soon as 2:00pm, however if I have to be present, then we won't be done until around 6.

Thanks!