Wikiposts

Pet: dog: crate size

Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet: dog: crate size

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's easy to forget how small UK houses are, too. I got rid of all sorts of stuff that didn't fit, including (in the 2000 move) a large metal/wire crate that took up half of the living room! In my TN home it just took up a corner of my 18-foot long kitchen!
Good point! Since I have my heart set on a tiny stone cottage I'm not bringing any furniture at all, and will be replacing my mix of Ikea and vintage stuff with a mix of Ikea and PROPER ANTIQUES! Can't wait.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

We got our dog a bigger crate. It looked ridiculously big for her. But I wanted to make sure it was going to get passed. My sister was happy to receive a lovely, brand new big crate for her farm!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by happyglow
Thanks! Three inches all around is another new one on me. I've been looking at IATA's "length = nose to base of tail plus half leg to elbow" and all that jazz.
We found out to fly internationally from the US the smallest size they will accept is the medium - even our cats and tiny dog would have to use the medium. That is what Air Animal told us.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

In theory everyone should be abiding by the IATA regulations - there's a leaflet detailing how to measure your dog, just google. I haven't looked into cats.

Of course there's nothing to stop the airlines asking for extra on top of these standards, though I do think a crate that's too large is not good - if there's a steep take-off or turbulence, it's nice if your pet feels cosy and can brace against the sides easily.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by gailc
Kennel Requirements:
Must be secure with nut and bolt closures (NO plastic latches or flaps)
Must have only one metal grated door on front side (NOT top)
Must have four ventilated sides
Must have at least 3 inches of clearance all the way around your pet, which allows room to sit, stand, lie down and turn around in a normal comfortable position
Kennel must be accompanied with 2 water dishes clipped inside kennel door filled ¾ with frozen water OR ice cubes, along with a Ziploc baggie of dry food secured to the outside top part of the kennel
Absorbent bedding is allowed such as shredded newspaper
NO dog beds, leashes or toys are allowed (towel or t-shirt with familiar sent is encouraged)
A 200P Kennel (Medium 27x20x19) is the minimal requirement for International travel

Kennel Measurements:
200P - 27x20x19 300P - 32x22x23 400P - 36x24x26
500P - 40x27x30 700P - 48x32x35

We have just been checking with Air Animal - a company who will ship your pet for you. This is the info they sent to us regarding the size of crate.
I too got the very same info from Air Animal however the photos they sent of the sky kennel selection have a plastic latch on them ( the sort that when you turn it to lock, it has a metal bar that inserts into the top and bottom holes) so I'm a bit confused when they say no plastic yet the pics are definitely displaying plastic latches? I'm also trying to find them for sale on Amazon or such to try and get better price. I didn't realise they would be quite as much as they appear to be.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I too got the very same info from Air Animal however the photos they sent of the sky kennel selection have a plastic latch on them ( the sort that when you turn it to lock, it has a metal bar that inserts into the top and bottom holes) so I'm a bit confused when they say no plastic yet the pics are definitely displaying plastic latches? I'm also trying to find them for sale on Amazon or such to try and get better price. I didn't realise they would be quite as much as they appear to be.
I have the exact same picture, sent by them and noticed that as well, Elizabeth - they look exactly like the ones (different brand) they sell in PetSmart, etc.
I suppose that is something that needs to checked with Air Animal. Maybe they can be replace with metal bolts and nuts, I don't know.

I have checked using 'SkyKennel' in the brower and found a website that sells them for a lot cheaper than Air Animal, but then there was the shipping.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Gailc, I think I'll write back to Air Animal and mention the concerns I have regarding what appear to be plastic latches. The woman I've been corresponding with is very quick to reply and seems helpful. She did say too that I can provide my own kennels but they must adhere to the requirements, and yes they can be bought cheaper online but as you say, the shipping maybe quite steep although the prices quoted on the Air Animal attachment do not include tax or shipping from what I can gather.
I suppose I could always sell them on ebay once back in the UK and seeing that the shipping of pets is tax deductible maybe the end cost won't be too bad after all.
All I want is 3 cats and 1 dog back safely in UK without them going through terror
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Here's what should be the ultimate definitive guide:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/l...1-LAR-2012.pdf
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Gailc, I think I'll write back to Air Animal and mention the concerns I have regarding what appear to be plastic latches. The woman I've been corresponding with is very quick to reply and seems helpful. She did say too that I can provide my own kennels but they must adhere to the requirements, and yes they can be bought cheaper online but as you say, the shipping maybe quite steep although the prices quoted on the Air Animal attachment do not include tax or shipping from what I can gather.
I suppose I could always sell them on ebay once back in the UK and seeing that the shipping of pets is tax deductible maybe the end cost won't be too bad after all.
All I want is 3 cats and 1 dog back safely in UK without them going through terror
Thanks, Elizabeth - let us know what you find out. You can go and pick them up from Air Animal yourself if that is possible.
The lady I have been e-mailing was called Evlynn.
Another thing is, (which I put on a post a while ago, was the fact that all ours have 3yr rabies and wondering if they can have another as they are supposed to have one within one year of travel I belive.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Here's what should be the ultimate definitive guide:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/l...1-LAR-2012.pdf
Thanks, happyglow - will check that out later
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Elizabeth - let us know what you find out. You can go and pick them up from Air Animal yourself if that is possible.
The lady I have been e-mailing was called Evlynn.
Another thing is, (which I put on a post a while ago, was the fact that all ours have 3yr rabies and wondering if they can have another as they are supposed to have one within one year of travel I belive.
Evelyn is the person who's been emailing with me too

Anyway as far as I know regarding the rabies vaccine, they will have to have another one before flying. I've only just had one of the cats done last month with his 3 year rabies shot and asked the vet if it will harm him to do another one so soon again this year. Apparently it causes them no harm

I haven't yet had a reply from Evelyn regarding the plastic latches on the kennels, will let you know as soon as I do
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Evelyn is the person who's been emailing with me too

Anyway as far as I know regarding the rabies vaccine, they will have to have another one before flying. I've only just had one of the cats done last month with his 3 year rabies shot and asked the vet if it will harm him to do another one so soon again this year. Apparently it causes them no harm

I haven't yet had a reply from Evelyn regarding the plastic latches on the kennels, will let you know as soon as I do
Thanks, Elizabeth.
Funny we have both been in touch with the Evelyn (I knew I spelled her name wrong in the last post, but couldn't think how she spelled it).
Good to know about the rabies as well.
I believe they have to have had one in past year don't they? Unless I read it wrong.
Anyway - thanks again
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Elizabeth.
Funny we have both been in touch with the Evelyn (I knew I spelled her name wrong in the last post, but couldn't think how she spelled it).
Good to know about the rabies as well.
I believe they have to have had one in past year don't they? Unless I read it wrong.
Anyway - thanks again
here's what Evelyn replied with "The sky kennels use a metal bolt and then the washers are a hard rubber/plastic material" So obviously the ones on the pic she sent are good

I'm going to ring her tomorrow to get some more questions answered so I'll let you know if she gives me any more pearls of wisdom that I can share on here
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

here's what Evelyn replied with "The sky kennels use a metal bolt and then the washers are a hard rubber/plastic material" So obviously the ones on the pic she sent are good

I'm going to ring her tomorrow to get some more questions answered so I'll let you know if she gives me any more pearls of wisdom that I can share on here
Ah - thanks, Elizabeth. That answers that question.
I checked locally to see if I could find any, such as Petsmart, Petco, etc. but couldn't find any.
Found the ones at Petsmart, but don't know about the latches.
They look exactly the same though and a lot cheaper.
Although on the paperwork Evelyn sent, it said you could buy them locally.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Crate=$100. Peace of mind=priceless.
I agree!
I was told by the airline (United), that I could pick up containers more cheaply at a pet store for our two cats but I am actually going to go down to the airport and buy from them. For the sake of saving around $60 I am not going to take any chances with my little loves!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.