Wikiposts

Pet: dog: crate size

Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet: dog: crate size

OK, so I have pooch and I have crate. Pooch is very comfy in crate and anyone looking at him lying in it would say it is plenty big enough. However looking at the IATA regulations, depending on how he's standing and where you measure the crate, it's borderline for length. So, my question for those who have transported a dog, when you checked in did anyone actually get the dog out of the crate and measure him/her and the crate?

Help please - he likes his crate, and given that we are going to have to abandon it at the destination airport, I'm reluctant to go and buy the next size up given that he seems perfectly comfy as is - but being turned away at the airport for the sake of a couple of disputed centimetres would be a nightmare.

Am tempted to just go and see them tomorrow and see what they say.... what do you reckon?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet: dog: crate size

Originally Posted by happyglow
OK, so I have pooch and I have crate. Pooch is very comfy in crate and anyone looking at him lying in it would say it is plenty big enough. However looking at the IATA regulations, depending on how he's standing and where you measure the crate, it's borderline for length. So, my question for those who have transported a dog, when you checked in did anyone actually get the dog out of the crate and measure him/her and the crate?

Help please - he likes his crate, and given that we are going to have to abandon it at the destination airport, I'm reluctant to go and buy the next size up given that he seems perfectly comfy as is - but being turned away at the airport for the sake of a couple of disputed centimetres would be a nightmare.

Am tempted to just go and see them tomorrow and see what they say.... what do you reckon?
I would recommend you do go and see them, with dog and crate. They will check on the day you travel and if it's too small, you will have to get the right size, or not fly. I'm speaking from personal experience. The crate I used in 2000 and 2001 was deemed too small in 2006 (I think the rules had changed in between re: crate size, and I hadn't realised).

My situation was exactly the same - the crate looked very roomy but didn't fit the regs. Luckily, the same day an incoming dog owner had left the wooden crate his dog came in, and it was the right size!

Many dog owners leave their crates behind at the airport (same at ARC in Heathrow -they are stacked up behind the building). If you are lucky, there may be one left at the airport that you can have for free.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I would recommend you do go and see them, with dog and crate. They will check on the day you travel and if it's too small, you will have to get the right size, or not fly. I'm speaking from personal experience. The crate I used in 2000 and 2001 was deemed too small in 2006 (I think the rules had changed in between re: crate size, and I hadn't realised).

My situation was exactly the same - the crate looked very roomy but didn't fit the regs. Luckily, the same day an incoming dog owner had left the wooden crate his dog came in, and it was the right size!

Many dog owners leave their crates behind at the airport (same at ARC in Heathrow -they are stacked up behind the building). If you are lucky, there may be one left at the airport that you can have for free.
Thanks Dunroving, that's invaluable, I'll take your advice. That was a sneaky trick the rules played on you in 2006!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dunroving, that's invaluable, I'll take your advice. That was a sneaky trick the rules played on you in 2006!
I was completely caught out - I got absolutely everything else correct (and back in the days of the "Pet Passport" there was a LOT to think about!), but hadn't even considered the need to check the crate size regulations as we had been through it twice before with the same crate!

I was completely panicking, asking for directions to the nearest PetsMart (it was several miles away - you know airports are never near anything useful).

When he said, "Hang on, let me check, we may have one discarded from yesterday" it felt like divine intervention! It also meant my friend's neighbour got a free crate (he took my crate home in his van and gave it to the neghbour). Score!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was completely caught out - I got absolutely everything else correct (and back in the days of the "Pet Passport" there was a LOT to think about!), but hadn't even considered the need to check the crate size regulations as we had been through it twice before with the same crate!

I was completely panicking, asking for directions to the nearest PetsMart (it was several miles away - you know airports are never near anything useful).

When he said, "Hang on, let me check, we may have one discarded from yesterday" it felt like divine intervention! It also meant my friend's neighbour got a free crate (he took my crate home in his van and gave it to the neghbour). Score!
Huge sigh of relief all round! Wouldn't it be superb if the airports had some sort of informal arrangement for people to come and leave crates or pick them up free of charge or perhaps for a small fee? Or they could give them to local rescue groups.... I wonder what does happen to them all eventually?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Kennel Requirements:
Must be secure with nut and bolt closures (NO plastic latches or flaps)
Must have only one metal grated door on front side (NOT top)
Must have four ventilated sides
Must have at least 3 inches of clearance all the way around your pet, which allows room to sit, stand, lie down and turn around in a normal comfortable position
Kennel must be accompanied with 2 water dishes clipped inside kennel door filled ¾ with frozen water OR ice cubes, along with a Ziploc baggie of dry food secured to the outside top part of the kennel
Absorbent bedding is allowed such as shredded newspaper
NO dog beds, leashes or toys are allowed (towel or t-shirt with familiar sent is encouraged)
A 200P Kennel (Medium 27x20x19) is the minimal requirement for International travel

Kennel Measurements:
200P - 27x20x19 300P - 32x22x23 400P - 36x24x26
500P - 40x27x30 700P - 48x32x35

We have just been checking with Air Animal - a company who will ship your pet for you. This is the info they sent to us regarding the size of crate.

Last edited by gailc; Feb 12th 2013 at 5:37 am. Reason: left our the K in kennel
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gailc
Kennel Requirements:
Must be secure with nut and bolt closures (NO plastic latches or flaps)
Must have only one metal grated door on front side (NOT top)
Must have four ventilated sides
Must have at least 3 inches of clearance all the way around your pet, which allows room to sit, stand, lie down and turn around in a normal comfortable position
Kennel must be accompanied with 2 water dishes clipped inside kennel door filled ¾ with frozen water OR ice cubes, along with a Ziploc baggie of dry food secured to the outside top part of the kennel
Absorbent bedding is allowed such as shredded newspaper
NO dog beds, leashes or toys are allowed (towel or t-shirt with familiar sent is encouraged)
A 200P Kennel (Medium 27x20x19) is the minimal requirement for International travel

Kennel Measurements:
200P - 27x20x19 300P - 32x22x23 400P - 36x24x26
500P - 40x27x30 700P - 48x32x35

We have just been checking with Air Animal - a company who will ship your pet for you. This is the info they sent to us regarding the size of crate.
Thanks! Three inches all around is another new one on me. I've been looking at IATA's "length = nose to base of tail plus half leg to elbow" and all that jazz.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:02 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

worth getting the crate correct, at one point they thought mine may be too big as he is long and not very tall however I showed them the rules and mine was just right (although looked far too big)
Worth checking what the airline specifically allow on the the grate - mine would not let me use the water bottle I had rigged up.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
worth getting the crate correct, at one point they thought mine may be too big as he is long and not very tall however I showed them the rules and mine was just right (although looked far too big)
Worth checking what the airline specifically allow on the the grate - mine would not let me use the water bottle I had rigged up.
Thank you! Will report back if I find out anything useful.

I've heard the airlines don't like those water bottles. KLM specify two EMPTY bowls clipped onto the crate door. I saw a neat idea at the petstore - silicone crate bowls that collapse and are on a hinge so they fold flat against the door when not in use.

My dog's weird - he hardly ever drinks, I suppose he gets most of what he needs from his raw meat. Being from a warm climate helps too it seems. He's going to hate it if the plane is chilly!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

After lots of research I've ordered the next size up of crate, intermediate rather than medium. 10cm or so longer, leaving no room for argument over IATA measurements but not too big.

Crate=$100. Peace of mind=priceless.

I just wish we could hang on to it after landing; perhaps if I learn to balance it on my head.....
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Pet: dog: crate size

After lots of research I've ordered the next size up of crate, intermediate rather than medium. 10cm or so longer, leaving no room for argument over IATA measurements but not too big.

Crate=$100. Peace of mind=priceless.

I just wish we could hang on to it after landing; perhaps if I learn to balance it on my head.....
Best be safe than sorry - good luck with everything
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gailc
Best be safe than sorry - good luck with everything
Thank you!!!

And if anyone here is thinking of adopting a pet - pick one with short legs!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:41 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Thank you!!!

And if anyone here is thinking of adopting a pet - pick one with short legs!
And a short body too!!

PS I got wheels for my crate so I could drag it round europe!!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
And a short body too!!

PS I got wheels for my crate so I could drag it round europe!!
Hehehe. Tiny dogs rock!

I thought about wheels and keeping the crate, but just can't do it. I really need to bring large-ish wheeled suitcase as the rest of my stuff may take weeks to arrive, and I'm also taking the biggest backpack I can as carry-on, for those things that are just too precious/valuable to entrust to checked in luggage or shipping. What with all the train changes and so on, the crate would just tip me over the edge (of sanity or the platform, or possibly both)
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:28 am
Ping-ponger

Hehehe. Tiny dogs rock!

I thought about wheels and keeping the crate, but just can't do it. I really need to bring large-ish wheeled suitcase as the rest of my stuff may take weeks to arrive, and I'm also taking the biggest backpack I can as carry-on, for those things that are just too precious/valuable to entrust to checked in luggage or shipping. What with all the train changes and so on, the crate would just tip me over the edge (of sanity or the platform, or possibly both)
It's easy to forget how small UK houses are, too. I got rid of all sorts of stuff that didn't fit, including (in the 2000 move) a large metal/wire crate that took up half of the living room! In my TN home it just took up a corner of my 18-foot long kitchen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.