Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paying tax on returning to the uk

Paying tax on returning to the uk

Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all
Default Paying tax on returning to the uk

Hi All

As some of you are aware we are returning to the uk in the new year on speaking to our accountant today he told my wife that when we go back and i start work i will pay uk tax and australian tax is he living down nursery rhyme avenue or is this true.

Thanks
Neil
Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying tax on returning to the uk

You'll pay Australian tax till the day you leave Oz (they'll treat you as a departing resident). And you'll pay UK tax from the day you arrive in the UK.

Exception: If (a) you are an Australian citizen and (b) still have income-producing assets in Oz after you've moved to the UK, e.g. Australian bank account, an Australian rental property, Australian shares. In that case you have to lodge an Australian tax return as a non-resident each year to disclose your Australian income and pay Oz tax on it.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Exception: If (a) you are an Australian citizen
If you are non-resident, Australian citizenship makes no difference.

and (b) still have income-producing assets in Oz after you've moved to the UK, e.g. Australian bank account, an Australian rental property, Australian shares. In that case you have to lodge an Australian tax return as a non-resident each year to disclose your Australian income and pay Oz tax on it.
Not if the only income is bank interest or dividend income. In that case, the Non resident withholding tax of 10% satisfies Australian tax liability.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:32 am
M12
Just Joined

M12 is a jewel in the roughM12 is a jewel in the roughM12 is a jewel in the roughM12 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We returned to the UK from Aus in Nov 08 but didn't close our Aus bank accounts until Mar 09. The bank were given our UK address.
I am now completing my tax return using etax and have to supply the interest paid to us which is proving difficult as we opted for paperless bank statements and since the accounts were closed there is no info online. How crucial is this information as we are not talking lots of money ?
I am still trying to contact the bank without much success.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks