Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Payg phones in the UK at the moment...best value

Payg phones in the UK at the moment...best value

Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:59 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Payg phones in the UK at the moment...best value

Coming home for our first visit back now we are fully fledged citizens...its what we always said we would do...I want to get a uk sim when I get back to make the fone calls a bit cheaper as we are back for a month. As we have been gone for 3 years now not sure who offer good deals these days, on pay as you go...Over here we have say vodafone you buy $29 and get $130 worth to use inside a month...Whats on offer in the Uk like that now a days...

Any advice from those still in the uk much appreciated

thanks Jan
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:19 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Payg phones in the UK at the moment...best value

Originally Posted by peppi
Coming home for our first visit back now we are fully fledged citizens...its what we always said we would do...I want to get a uk sim when I get back to make the fone calls a bit cheaper as we are back for a month. As we have been gone for 3 years now not sure who offer good deals these days, on pay as you go...Over here we have say vodafone you buy $29 and get $130 worth to use inside a month...Whats on offer in the Uk like that now a days...

thanks Jan
We went back last year and we paid 20 quid and got the sim card free with Vodaphone.

Make sure your phone will work in the UK also.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:01 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Taking back a fone that I bought with us unlocked from the uk so that is no problem...Did that £20 give you more than that in credit thou...? Like the vodaphone super caps here in OZ or is it just £20 credit that from memory goes like wild fire
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:09 am
Just Joined

wheresnick is an unknown quantity at this point

Taking back a fone that I bought with us unlocked from the uk so that is no problem...Did that £20 give you more than that in credit thou...? Like the vodaphone super caps here in OZ or is it just £20 credit that from memory goes like wild fire
Think you'll find you get a better deal in the UK if u look around. Most of the cap deals in Oz are such a con because the calls on them are so expensive. Try Tesco mobile £10 gives u the sim card and £20 credit. Calls are 10p a min and texts 5p. Compare that with over a dollar for a 1 min call on the vodafone cap!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Jan
Have you considered speaking to your provider in Australia to use their autoroaming facilities, which are available on prepaid phones.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:39 am
Moomin member

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Have you considered speaking to your provider in Australia to use their autoroaming facilities, which are available on prepaid phones.
i have a contract with vodafone here...and yes its on roaming too, but it doesnt come on the capped contract so would cost an absolute fortune...! to make all the calls in the uk that i will need to when I get there...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:49 am
Just Joined

TerryThomas is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks Jan
Thank you for sharing very useful information about the payg mobile phones in Uk. Its a lovely post. I heard Themobilewizard.co.uk is an outstanding website that enables consumers to compare and discover the best mobile phone deals offered by leading retailers spread across UK.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have moved you to MB, you should get even more advice
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I didnt know Tesco did phones now too. Sound like a great deal.
We did some research for DS who recently flew back and got him a nice nokia with camera PAYG from phones 4 u. The total was 29.00gbp and some change and this included 10.00 gbp of airtime. His tarrif is not the best but it's mostly for incoming calls as he tends to text us or call us and we don't answer and just call him back right away to save his credit.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Jan
I bought a cheap PAG phone from Carphone Warehouse...cost 20 GBP and included 10 GBP worth of calls. I can't call outside the UK but can receive overseas calls.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Happy in NC is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this company. You'll need your own unlocked phone. All calls within the UK are 10 P per minute. Intl. calls 4 P per minute.

http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/en/
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the UK at the moment, and using my South African phone with a local SIM. Just check that your phone isn't locked, and choose a network that works well wherever you're going to be. I think most of them are OK in metropolitan areas, but my wife lives in SW Scotland and the only networks that have good signal strength are O2 and Vodafone. The rest are hopeless.