Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paula Deen has Diabetes - How Can This Be?

Paula Deen has Diabetes - How Can This Be?

Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Paula Deen has Diabetes - How Can This Be?

I can't stand the recipes Paula Deen cooks (and TBH I find the way she talks incredibly irritating as well).

It's no surprise that she now admits she's concealed the fact that she has type 2 diabetes - but she isn't apparently going to change the way she cooks:

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cid=ansmsnbc11

Stupid woman!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paula Deen has Diabetes - How Can This Be?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I can't stand the recipes Paula Deen cooks (and TBH I find the way she talks incredibly irritating as well).

It's no surprise that she now admits she's concealed the fact that she has type 2 diabetes - but she isn't apparently going to change the way she cooks:

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cid=ansmsnbc11

Stupid woman!
Totally agree with what you say. I've never ever used her recipes - way too fattening!! It really is bad here - the number of people who are developing Type II diabetes - and it really is preventable if you watch what you eat, exercise, etc. My daughter is in Nursing School so she sees a lot of stuff like this - some people just don't want to listen to good health-care advice and don't want to change their ways.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

I wonder how long it will be before The Barefoot Contessa lady gets it also? From what I've seen of her show, it's just as lethal in terms of adding a little butter.

There was a rumour going around a while ago about Paula Deen having diabetes but not wanting to admit it. It's also interesting that one of the food channels have a new show where one of her sons remakes her recipes to be healthier. I caught a bit of one show at the gym(!) and the reduction in calories per portion was about 1000!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Paula Deen has Diabetes - How Can This Be?

OMG - here is a photo of one of her signature dishes....a hamburger patty with bacon and a fried egg - served between 2 glazed doughnuts...! YUCK! YIKES!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-recipes.html
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - here is a photo of one of her signature dishes....a hamburger patty with bacon and a fried egg - served between 2 glazed doughnuts...! YUCK! YIKES!

OMFG! That looks positively foul and disgusting! Makes me shudder just looking at it. I'm sooo glad I never got into her recipes. She sounds like a real hypocrite to me.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

How long before litigation rears it's oh so beautiful head?!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Her desserts aren't bad...and her cornbread type recipes are pretty good....grossly unhealthy though.

But so was Gary Rhodes etc.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Totally agree with what you say. I've never ever used her recipes - way too fattening!! It really is bad here - the number of people who are developing Type II diabetes - and it really is preventable if you watch what you eat, exercise, etc. My daughter is in Nursing School so she sees a lot of stuff like this - some people just don't want to listen to good health-care advice and don't want to change their ways.
I disagree. Nurses (and doctors and dieticians) are still being taught about diabetes based of information that's 10-20 years out of date so end up passing on what they think is good advice but is really not. Even research done over the last couple of years is becoming out dated. There has never been any study that proves, without making massive, significant assumptions, that high weight or what you eat or lack of exercises causes any form of diabetes. The gene pool is far less segregated than it used to be, enough generations have passed and enough medical advances that keep diabetics alive longer so it's not really a surprise that there is an epidemic of a massively genetic disease.

There are even several recent studies that suggest that eating more saturated fat may actually lower your chances of heart problems and quite a few that suggest the advice regarding cholesterol and heart disease may be way off base. Plus the several recent ones that suggest statin use will jack up your chances of getting type 2 diabetes by about 50%.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:46 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, a Luther burger, an Atlanta tradition. Yummy.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:09 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I disagree. Nurses (and doctors and dieticians) are still being taught about diabetes based of information that's 10-20 years out of date so end up passing on what they think is good advice but is really not. Even research done over the last couple of years is becoming out dated. There has never been any study that proves, without making massive, significant assumptions, that high weight or what you eat or lack of exercises causes any form of diabetes. The gene pool is far less segregated than it used to be, enough generations have passed and enough medical advances that keep diabetics alive longer so it's not really a surprise that there is an epidemic of a massively genetic disease.

There are even several recent studies that suggest that eating more saturated fat may actually lower your chances of heart problems and quite a few that suggest the advice regarding cholesterol and heart disease may be way off base. Plus the several recent ones that suggest statin use will jack up your chances of getting type 2 diabetes by about 50%.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

have to agreed with previous poster that there is no actual proof that diet alone causes type II diabetes but it is one of the leading contenders. Environmental damage and genetics are also thought to play a part in the development of this disorder.

My cousin has always been much heavier than me until recently. She does not have diabetes and has milder hypertension. I have had type II for 15 yrs and until recently controlled it with diet and exercise. However, I also have an under active thyroid which no-one told me made me more suspectable to Diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol amongst other things.

Must admit though moving to the States has not made it easy to keep the weight off. When I lived in Scotland, I would walk everyday to get some groceries from the local high street. This summer, with the record heat in Austin, I barely got out of my house. Back at the gym now and by the time my 1st grand child gets here in July, I am determined to be a fraction of my former self.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:15 am

Arrow Re: Paula Deen has Diabetes - How Can This Be?

Originally Posted by jjmb
However, I also have an under active thyroid which no-one told me made me more suspectable to Diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol amongst other things.

Eeeeek! I've just been diagnosed with a 'slightly' underactive thyroid after having a few medical tests in London - no I'm not a health tourist, it was at the BUPA Cromwell hospital lol!. The doctor has prescribed 25mg of thyroxine and I'll need to be re-tested in three months.

The doctor didn't mention diabetes, hypertension or high cholesterol which may be a side effect of an underactive thyroid...thanks for the heads-up and I will do some research and ask the doc about it at my next check up.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I have had an underactive thyroid for 20 yrs and still finding out how much its affect my general health.
The trainer at my gym was recommending a very high fiber diet consisting mainly of greens. Over the weekend I was doing some general searching and came across several articles saying people with an underactive thyroid should avoid eating too many greens, peaches, and strawberries (plus some other things) as they contain goitrogens. I love all these things! So I will be asking my doctor about it. I knew about soy but not this.
I have thought about finding a doctor who specializes in endocrine disorders but reading reviews of the ones available in Austin, I think I might just well with my own doctor. He was right when my gynecologist was saying my levels were too high according to the guidelines the US use at the moment. He said he normally goes on how the patient feels as there is some dispute as the right levels of hormone. He was right, my medication was dropped to 88mcg, my weight shot up and I was constantly cold. Now I am back to 100mcg and my weight leveled out plus I felt good again. Unfortunately, although the weight quickly went on, its been a slog to get it off again. Almost gave up.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Woo hoo, a thyroid discussion! As a by-product of other medical tests I found out mine was underfunctioning. Went to an endocrinologist who I`ve seen every six months. I`d say if your own doctor can get it under control thats just as good. All my endo bloke does is tap me a lot and look mysterious, apart from that he goes by the blood test which anyone can do. I take 137mcg of synthroid.
As for the weight, I hoped for a miracle which didnt happen. I`m still delightfully curvy!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

I'm glad to see the discussion turn away from what a horrible person Paula Deen is for making food and giving recipes away that people have a choice to eat and make. I, for one, ABSOLUTELY LOVE her food and her recipes but as a rational adult capable of making my own choices and realizing what is and is not healthy, don't choose to make all her recipes all the time.

Diabetes happens for a lot of reasons and it strikes certain people regardless of weight, lifestyle or eating habits. My Aunt has been perpetually over 400 pounds my entire life and only in her late fifties has she gotten Type 2 Diabetes while my Father who played sports and was incredibly healthy in his younger years was diagnosed with it in his early forties. Why that way? Who's to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.