Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

which passport to use when returning to uk

which passport to use when returning to uk

Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future
Default which passport to use when returning to uk

Hi All

I am sure this question has been asked many times!

My husband and daughter have UK & USA passports. When we go back permanently to live in Devon which one should they use? Daughter has her 10 year visa for the US inside her UK one.

Maybe it would be easier to go by QM2?

Thanks

Amanda
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which passport to use when returning to uk

Enter the UK on the UK passport if you can.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
Enter the UK on the UK passport if you can.
That what I thought, hubby thought they may give him hassle at USA end when checking in as he does not have usa visa in UK passport>
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
That what I thought, hubby thought they may give him hassle at USA end when checking in as he does not have usa visa in UK passport>
Then check in on the US passport and show the UK one on arrival. It really doesnt matter.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:06 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Then check in on the US passport and show the UK one on arrival. It really doesnt matter.
That's correct - it is US law that you must enter and leave the US on your US passport if you are a US Citizen.

The advice from the UK Consulate is to enter the UK on your UK passport. If you enter on your US passport, it will be stamped 6 months visit and then it looks like you have overstayed

So enter the UK on the UK passport.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

You confirmed what was my next suggestion to hubby. He then said check with the Expats!!

Thanks again.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by exvj
That's correct - it is US law that you must enter and leave the US on your US passport if you are a US Citizen.

The advice from the UK Consulate is to enter the UK on your UK passport. If you enter on your US passport, it will be stamped 6 months visit and then it looks like you have overstayed

So enter the UK on the UK passport.
Thanks for information.

This is definitely what we will do.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:50 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure that when you make your plane (or ship) reservations that you list the passport that is the one you are going to use.

And I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice before ) but I didn't think you could leave on one passport and enter with another. I thought that was a big no-no.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by DDL
Just make sure that when you make your plane (or ship) reservations that you list the passport that is the one you are going to use.

And I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice before ) but I didn't think you could leave on one passport and enter with another. I thought that was a big no-no.
Far as I can tell no one cares. If they do then show them the other one.

I usually let them pick one to be honest, no point waiting in the slow line on arrival if you have a UK passport to go in the faster queue.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:46 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

No, it isn't a "big no-no". My OH has both Canadian and UK passports and uses both......leaves one place on that country's passport, and enters on the other. It actually saves times at passport control cos he doesn't have to queue for as long in either country.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:18 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which passport to use when returning to UK

Originally Posted by DDL

As I said, it is illegal for USC's to leave or arrive in the US on a non-US passport

However

In the UK, you can use either - but if you use the US passport you will be stamped in as a 6 month visitor. So use the UK one.
The UK don't mind you then leaving with the US passport.

Summary:

Use the UK passport to ENTER the UK

Use the US passport for the other 3 legs of the journey

The UK has no equivalent laws to the US in that citizens can enter and leave on any valid passport