Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which passport to move back UK or US ? On a one way ticket

Which passport to move back UK or US ? On a one way ticket

Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport to move back UK or US ? On a one way ticket

Originally Posted by sianukusa
I'm actually saving a lot by booking one way tickets - using points and cash and still cheaper. So what passport info should I put in the API when booking online ? The US or UK info ?
I might just be over worrying but I do feel that the airline desk may ask questions
If the booking form asks for citizenship you can truthfully say UK and enter your UK passport details. Keep your US passport with you when you travel.

Give the airline a call and tell them your situation before making the booking, and then you will be sure.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

sianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the rough

And then just show our uk passports at the checkin desk right ? Then if they ask questions I just say we have dual citizenship and we are moving back to the UK? Do you think they will question about why I'm not traveling with my husband - he is traveling over in August
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Put in the UK passport for a one way ticket.
You'll be fine.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

sianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the rough

I just called BA and I explained having 2 passports and wanting a one way ticket and he said call the British Embassy or airport authorities !!! I don't think so
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

It's really not going to matter which you use to book it as long as you have both with you when you travel. I think you may be over thinking it. As long as you gave your uk passport to enter the uk there will be no real issues.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which passport to move back UK or US ? On a one way ticket

Originally Posted by sianukusa
I just called BA and I explained having 2 passports and wanting a one way ticket and he said call the British Embassy or airport authorities !!! I don't think so
Last Friday I was flying with British Airways from Newark, New Jersey to London Heathrow. I am a British citizen and a naturalized American so I have two passports. At the bag-drop desk I had to show the BA agent my passport and I gave her my American one (knowing full well that one must exit the US with a US passport).

However, she (an American woman) spotted my British passport inside my travel wallet and wanted me to give it to her, saying that it would be easier to enter the UK with it! I had to inform her that US citizens must leave or/and re-enter the USA with an American passport and that yes, once I arrived at LHR I would then produce my British passport. I was amazed that she didn't seem to know this and she definitely wasn't a new recruit, I've seen her before. Actually my British passport has the machine readable "chip" inside it so I was able to go through the electronic gates and it was really quick going through the UK border control.

To the O/P - as you are leaving the US and having to show your US passport it is fine to use that on the APIS, but no worries if you have used the info from your UK passport: you have no need to produce a visa stamp in a passport to enter the UK and The authorities (US and UK) already check the manifest before each flight against the terrorist watch-list in any case. The agent can input details from either passport at check-in if necessary eg: a couple of years ago I had booked a flight to the UK and on the Virgin Atlantic booking had input my British passport details. However a few months later I became a US citizen, but wasn't able to change my British passport details to my new American one when I checked in online. However the agent at the bag-drop desk was able to over-ride it.

No worries!

Btw I currently live in Switzerland so travel on journeys terminating in Europe (I am spending this week with family in the UK)

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 9th 2014 at 8:51 am.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

I'm just going ahead with getting one way tickets and using my uk passport info seeing as we are all UK citizens I guess. Thanks for all the info