Reload this Page >

Partial Relocation to UK-Secondary School Application and 11 Plus Exam

Partial Relocation to UK-Secondary School Application and 11 Plus Exam

Old May 2nd 2021, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

reading_1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partial Relocation to UK-Secondary School Application and 11 Plus Exam

Hello friends,

We are looking to move back to the UK from the Middle East mainly to position my son (who is in Yr 5 at the moment) for Secondary school. My wife is pregnant with the second child and expected to delivery in August. The plan is that I partially relocate with my son in September, and my wife will join later on with the new born in November. The house search is in progress and we should be able to get a house soon in the target school catchment.

While in the UK, I am intending to work for my employer in the Middle East (work from home for limited period), and once the family settles down completely in the UK, I return back to the Middle East to continue at least until March 2022. My commitment in the current project will continue for some time.

The house agreement, utilities, and council tax will be under my name. Once my wife returns back, probably I will add her name into the account.

I am aware of the Statutory Residence Test (SRT) requirements for Income Tax purposes, and would limit the number of working days and my stay in the UK to retain the expat status.

The question is, can I temporarily move (as an expat) with my son to complete the school applications. Are there any issues with the above arrangement from Income Tax point of view, i.e. being an expat applying for State Schools, registering my son for GP etc.