Wikiposts

Parents of School kids

Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:20 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents of School kids

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Wow, this is all eye opening. My parents only sent supplies to school that were meant for me, not some communal supplies. I can't believe the amount of money some of you are saying you spend. I also found out recently that in some of the middle and high schoools, students now have to basically rent their schoolbooks for the year, and don't get the money back. That was certainly not the case 15+ yrs ago when I started middle school. I'd certainly be interested in knowing where my tax money is going.
In some ways I really would love to see the budget for our school, and find out exactly where the money goes and how much is actually spent on supplies. I do know that most of the Teachers here will go out and buy at least 30% of the supplies themselves (especially Art and Craft stuff).

I've just been looking through some of my DD's work sheets from last year and all of the worksheets that she has done have been ripped from a Book, every single worksheet...now thats scary.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this is all eye opening. My parents only sent supplies to school that were meant for me, not some communal supplies. I can't believe the amount of money some of you are saying you spend. I also found out recently that in some of the middle and high schoools, students now have to basically rent their schoolbooks for the year, and don't get the money back. That was certainly not the case 15+ yrs ago when I started middle school. I'd certainly be interested in knowing where my tax money is going.
Well like everything, things increase - salaries have to be paid, technology needs to be continued. etc etc.....its not free.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
In some ways I really would love to see the budget for our school, and find out exactly where the money goes and how much is actually spent on supplies. I do know that most of the Teachers here will go out and buy at least 30% of the supplies themselves (especially Art and Craft stuff).

I've just been looking through some of my DD's work sheets from last year and all of the worksheets that she has done have been ripped from a Book, every single worksheet...now thats scary.
My daughter had workbooks last year as well. I don't know if its more cost effective to have workbooks for each child or make copies for each child. There is a big deal on how much it costs to copy on the copy machine.....
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well like everything, things increase - salaries have to be paid, technology needs to be continued. etc etc.....its not free.
I certainly understand that it's not free, however property taxes do seem to go up every year, as do the prop. taxes we pay on our cars. If our taxes go up, one would assume more money is going to the schools. I would think what we pay in taxes should be sufficient to cover the increasing costs. It is called free public school for a reason. But what can you do except conform, right?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I certainly understand that it's not free, however property taxes do seem to go up every year, as do the prop. taxes we pay on our cars. If our taxes go up, one would assume more money is going to the schools. I would think what we pay in taxes should be sufficient to cover the increasing costs. It is called free public school for a reason. But what can you do except conform, right?

Well if public utilities go up, water, gas and electricity for example.....do you think the school districts don't feel that pinch as well? The cost of gasoline is extremely high - yet school buses still have to run. And disabled students have to be picked up at their front door and taken to school. It just isn't cheap and while I'm not 100% sure on where the budget is completely spent - I don't think (well I can speak on the district I work in and the district my daughter goes to school in for sure) that there is any frivolous spending.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:21 am
Just Joined

pippermint is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
My oldest is not in school yet but will be next year so now I am really beginning to take noticed of all things school!

Anyhow do you agree with having to buy/sent in the list of supplies at the beginning of the year?

I was just reading one site that listed, supplies (crayons etc) school clothing, PTA fees, 'band fees' this is in addition to mealsetc. Sounds like it could get quite pricey esp if you have more than a couple of kids!
Here in California we have all of our supplies bought by the school. Makes it easy!