Parents of School kids

Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents of School kids

My oldest is not in school yet but will be next year so now I am really beginning to take noticed of all things school!

Anyhow do you agree with having to buy/sent in the list of supplies at the beginning of the year?

I was just reading one site that listed, supplies (crayons etc) school clothing, PTA fees, 'band fees' this is in addition to mealsetc. Sounds like it could get quite pricey esp if you have more than a couple of kids!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents of School kids

I got caught out with this last year and went round frantically trying to source all the supplies myself. (oldest was just starting Kindergarten).
I spent a bloody fortune. Now that I am in the know I have spent a grand total of $46 this year for his supplies for first grade as it is a pack that the school (PTA) makes up and sells.
I ordered it a couple of months back and it will be delivered to his class for meet the teacher evening.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:38 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
My oldest is not in school yet but will be next year so now I am really beginning to take noticed of all things school!

Anyhow do you agree with having to buy/sent in the list of supplies at the beginning of the year?

I was just reading one site that listed, supplies (crayons etc) school clothing, PTA fees, 'band fees' this is in addition to mealsetc. Sounds like it could get quite pricey esp if you have more than a couple of kids!
It does suck, but after checking tuition for the private (Catholic) school in our area, I don't complain anymore!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:55 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same boat as Texas Mom last year (our first) and left it way too late and everywhere was sold out of the essentials, it cost us a small fortune. Our PTA has outsourced the purchasing to a company so we just send in a cheque and it gets delivered to the school, it has worked out cheaper and I am not sending anything else in. In our area, parental involvement is a big thing, its expected of parents on a totally different level cf. the UK. Its worth it though, its an excellent school and the PTA raises about $500k each year.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I never had to do this with my older children when I lived in California. So, it was very strange to have to supply my daughter's teacher with pencils, paper, etc. I don't have a big problem with it - school districts are very budget tight here. But what is annoying is, of course they need to replenish in the middle of the year and I feel like its just a handful of parents that are throwing supplies back in rather than all. Also, we're asked to provide snacks (actually little treats and some crackers) and while I don't have a problem with that (Costco is a good source for stuff like this) again it seems as if its not a community effort.

I do notice that the stores sell school supplies really cheap this time of the year. So buying things isn't a big burden.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:38 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

This can get so expensive when you have 3 in school! Make sure you get to Target when they get their school supplies in, 20c for a pack of crayons etc, I always buy more when they have it on offer so when they send the letter out in the middle of the school year to say they have run out (and they will) I have stuff to send in. It does irritate me when they request copy paper and things for the office though, that combined with wipes and zip lock bags. Never needed all that stuff in the UK!!!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
This can get so expensive when you have 3 in school! Make sure you get to Target when they get their school supplies in, 20c for a pack of crayons etc, I always buy more when they have it on offer so when they send the letter out in the middle of the school year to say they have run out (and they will) I have stuff to send in. It does irritate me when they request copy paper and things for the office though, that combined with wipes and zip lock bags. Never needed all that stuff in the UK!!!
Other than treats for parties and money for trips I never remember my mum and dad sending anything into school.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:53 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I got caught out with this last year and went round frantically trying to source all the supplies myself. (oldest was just starting Kindergarten).
I spent a bloody fortune. Now that I am in the know I have spent a grand total of $46 this year for his supplies for first grade as it is a pack that the school (PTA) makes up and sells.
I ordered it a couple of months back and it will be delivered to his class for meet the teacher evening.
Originally Posted by cybersecretary
I was in the same boat as Texas Mom last year (our first) and left it way too late and everywhere was sold out of the essentials, it cost us a small fortune. Our PTA has outsourced the purchasing to a company so we just send in a cheque and it gets delivered to the school, it has worked out cheaper and I am not sending anything else in. In our area, parental involvement is a big thing, its expected of parents on a totally different level cf. the UK. Its worth it though, its an excellent school and the PTA raises about $500k each year.
Wow..your lucky...our PTA here does nothing like that..

I tend to get a little bit each time I'm in Target...I put the list in my bag and if I see a bargin and its on the list..I grab it..but it can still cost anywhere between $70-90..(depending on the grade)..
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
but it can still cost anywhere between $70-90..(depending on the grade)..
What do you have to buy?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..your lucky...our PTA here does nothing like that..

I tend to get a little bit each time I'm in Target...I put the list in my bag and if I see a bargin and its on the list..I grab it..but it can still cost anywhere between $70-90..(depending on the grade)..
We had a list in Virginia but have not got one in these parts yet, so I just go with the flow anyway and make sure he has what he need's
Old Jul 25th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

I think it depends on the school and the area.

When I first saw parents shopping with these school lists, I freaked !!

WHERE WAS MY LIST !! ?

Our school didn't have one. For elementary all that we received was a note after the kids started school, asking for donations for the child's classroom for items like tissues, hand sanitizers, etc.

Now when my son entered middle school he had a list. None of it proved to expensive.

Our Elementary PTA tends only to do stuff to raise money to cover the cost of the bus, IF, by a miracle they get a school trip come up.

They did a year book one year, but, nothing last year.

I used to be on it, but, when more and more of the PTA members who attended meetings were speaking in another language i gave up

Again depending where you are, you may find that the teacher pays for a lot of the stuff out of their own pocket. Some have given up asking for donations or giving out lists as they have little response.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
I think it depends on the school and the area.

When I first saw parents shopping with these school lists, I freaked !!

WHERE WAS MY LIST !! ?

Our school didn't have one. For elementary all that we received was a note after the kids started school, asking for donations for the child's classroom for items like tissues, hand sanitizers, etc.

Now when my son entered middle school he had a list. None of it proved to expensive.

Our Elementary PTA tends only to do stuff to raise money to cover the cost of the bus, IF, by a miracle they get a school trip come up.

They did a year book one year, but, nothing last year.

I used to be on it, but, when more and more of the PTA members who attended meetings were speaking in another language i gave up

Again depending where you are, you may find that the teacher pays for a lot of the stuff out of their own pocket. Some have given up asking for donations or giving out lists as they have little response.
We don't have to provide anything either apart from the odd box of tissues through the school year.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:54 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What do you have to buy?
The list for 2nd grade here is:

4 one subject spiral notebooks
2 packs of pencil top erasers (20 per pack)
6 large erasers
A lot of pencils! (36) (not mechanical)
8 glue sticks
2 packets of 4 Dry erase markers (one with eraser)
at least 2 large boxes of tissues
2 rolls of paper towels
2 pack coloured pencils (12 pack)
1 8-pack of washable markers
2 scissors (fiskars)
plastic pencil box
2 packages regular ruled loose leaf paper
4 boxes of 24 count crayons
A book bag
2 (large) containers of Antibacterial wipes
2 (ex large) antibacterial hand sanitizer
4 Antibacterial Soap
4 plastic (with pockets) folders
1 packet (200 sheets) of coloured paper

and then they'll ask for more in about 3 months...which is why I spend soo much...

Last edited by lisag8070; Jul 25th 2008 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The list for 2nd grade here is:

4 one subject spiral notebooks
2 packs of pencil top erasers (20 per pack)
6 large erasers
A lot of pencils! (36) (not mechanical)
8 glue sticks
2 packets of 4 Dry erase markers (one with eraser)
at least 2 large boxes of tissues
2 rolls of paper towels
2 pack coloured pencils (12 pack)
1 8-pack of washable markers
2 scissors (fiskars)
plastic pencil box
2 packages regular ruled loose leaf paper
4 boxes of 24 count crayons
A book bag
2 (large) containers of Antibacterial wipes
2 (ex large) antibacterial hand sanitizer
4 Antibacterial Soap
4 plastic (with pockets) folders
1 packet (200 sheets) of coloured paper

and then they'll ask for more in about 3 months...
I would have asked if that was for the whole year, but obviously not..... Wow!

I too have a second grader this year, this is her list:

Backpack
Crayons - 1 box
Eraser - large pink
Folder with pocket at the bottom
Glue - 12oz
Glue sticks - 3
Kleenex - large box
Notebook paper - (2pkg) wide rule
Pencil sharpener - w/lid
Pencils - 10 minimum
Ruler (12 inches w/inches and cent.)
School box
Scissors
Spiral Notebook - 2 (70 pages each)

This is a basic list of which the teacher may add or take away from. But generally all the teacher adds is the snacks or treats (think rewards.)
Old Jul 26th 2008, 12:09 am
Last orders please...

Wow what a short list...

your looks like your buying specifically for you child, whereas my list looks like the Teacher is stock pilling in case some of the kids parents don't send in anything...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.