Packing List

Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

hk2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Packing List

We're busy packing our stuff ready to ship for our move back to the UK next month.

On the form C3 it says in bold letters at near the top that
You must attach a complete detailed packing list to this form

Just how detailed does the packing list need to be? We've been numbering all the boxes as we pack them, but just along the lines of:
Box Contents
1 Books
2 Clothes
3 CDs
4 Misc kitchen items

This was pretty much all that was needed when we brought everything to Hong Kong four years ago.

Does HMRC need a count of exactly how many books, how many items of clothing, how many CDs, etc, and/or a guesstimate of value?

Have about 50 boxes packed and taped up so far and I'm a little worried that we might need to reopen them all.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing List

Originally Posted by hk2009
We're busy packing our stuff ready to ship for our move back to the UK next month.

On the form C3 it says in bold letters at near the top that
You must attach a complete detailed packing list to this form

Just how detailed does the packing list need to be? We've been numbering all the boxes as we pack them, but just along the lines of:
Box Contents
1 Books
2 Clothes
3 CDs
4 Misc kitchen items

This was pretty much all that was needed when we brought everything to Hong Kong four years ago.

Does HMRC need a count of exactly how many books, how many items of clothing, how many CDs, etc, and/or a guesstimate of value?

Have about 50 boxes packed and taped up so far and I'm a little worried that we might need to reopen them all.
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to add a little detail for boxes that have different items (kitchen items for example - cutlery? Crockery? Pots and pans?). It's very likely they won't look in much detail, but if they do, a bit of detail like this makes their job easier.

However, it doesn't have to be obsessively detailed. As you are a UK citizen returning from an extended period overseas, the main thing they would be concerned with is high-price items purchased recently, especially if it appears you are importing for resale (50 pairs of Jimmy Choos, maybe?)
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

You usually need to provide a number of each item that you are shipping. Even when sending things through the postal service they require that too. The shipping company I am using say that they will need to itemize every item which is part of the reason why they do the packing instead of having the customer pack.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:09 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I just took a look at the manifest that Rinkens' agents created for my move back in 2006 Every "item" is listed separately, with a value (I guess that was for insurance, but it's the same list that was attached to the customs form).

One "item" might have been a box full of stuff, however. Examples below, with my explanatory notes in brackets:

File cabinet $10 [this was empty]
Bike $500 [single item, obviously, but no details of make, model, material, etc.]
Clothes $200 [this was just a box or bag full of clothes - no details of what, how many, etc.]
Books $200 [same - one box, no details]
Papers $0 [this was just a box of "crap"]
DVDs $200 [again, one box, but no details of number, names, etc.]

ETA: Each item on the list had an associated number. the same number was written onto the item, often with a brief descriptor (so a box may have had the number 27 written on it and "office supplies"; my bike had a label taped to it with the number of the item on the list).

Last edited by dunroving; Apr 6th 2014 at 2:12 am.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at the list my packers made.

There are no monetary values on it.

Just the type of container and very simple description eg:

1.5 CTN BOOKS
4.5 CTN KITCHENWARE
FLAT W/D CTN CLOTHES
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved in 2011, my list was not all that detailed, but did include a 'value' - not replacement value though - we were told to use 'yard sale value' or something similar. It didn't really matter as there was no UK duty to pay.

But back to the list. I numbered each box. For the 20+ boxes of books, I just put "books", not the number of books. For other things, such as kitchen items, I put "assorted cutlery", "assorted pots/pans" etc. Clothes were the same - "assorted clothes" and so on and so on. When you fill a 40' container, listing each and every item in a box is nigh onto impossible. As it was, with upwards of 200 boxes (our shipping agent said to count each furniture item as a "box"), having a precise item by item detailed list would have taken far more time than any normal human has.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

why is everyone packing themselves? I'm leaving it all tot he experts that way I cant get it wrong and I get to relax and watch others work, LOL. I was also told by my movers that packing things yourself can actually negate your insurance with the company. Another good reason to let others do the work.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Each move we have made I just label the box kitchen items, crockery, books, tools or whatever. I have never itemised anything and to be honest I dont think they care too much. I have also never had the professionals do the packing, saves a couple of grand at least.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

With a lifetime of stuff going into a 40' container, DIY packing was the only option ZLOL